Home

Success Passing The Ball

This is a discussion on Success Passing The Ball within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Success Passing The Ball

Is anyone having success passing the ball? Especially against a good defense?

It seems like it takes my receivers years to get open, and even when they do get a bit of separation, a defender is instantly there to either swat the ball or intercept it.

Coupled with the fact that defenders seemingly shed blocks at will on half of the passing plays and end up right in my QBs face, are you having major success throwing the ball? If so, how are you doing it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Success Passing The Ball

Most of the reads the QB makes on a pass play are pre-snap and at the snap.

During the QBs first drop back step you should be looking at the coverage. During the second step, you need to glance at your line. You need to look for blitzers or DL that are going to make it through and quickly make a decision on how you need to move in the pocket (or out of the pocket) to get yourself some time.

When the blitz penetration is coming from between the tackles, you can be in trouble if you scramble the wrong way. When the penetration is coming from around the edges, you just need to take a few steps forward into the pocket. And if need be, make a run for it straight forward.

When I'm not playing but just watching other users play, I notice that MOST people I watch are terrible at using the pocket with their QB. Most people just hold down and keep backing up. This actually makes it easier for the defense to get pressure (even if it's harder for them to get the actual sack).

If you're a passing offense, prioritize pass-blocking tackles. They'll keep the DL pushed around outside to the edges, allowing you to step FORWARD into the pocket. You have more time, sacks are for less yardage when they happen, and your throws are a lot, lot, lot better because you're either standing still or moving pretty much exactly in the direction you're throwing the ball.

You're also significantly less likely to see the ball swatted at the line.

And anyway... make sure you're very familiar with the pass plays and know the read order for the play. Which receiver is 1st most likely to be open? 2nd most? 3rd most? Etc. The more comfortable you are with the read order, the quicker you are finding the open receiver.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I am pretty good at passing. Just learn how to lead the WR and you will be fine.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Great tips, iv'e noticed that since iv'e been taking a lot of sacks I get very ansy in the pocket and hate just standing around waiting to get hit, which, in turn leads me to throwing up passes anywhere just to not take a sack.

That could be leading to the high number of INT's I and a lot of other people are seeing. I have no problem running the ball, but passing this year seems so realistic, a few tips for some of us might go a long way in helping us improve.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Don't be afraid to run. Even if you don't have a scrambling quarterback, 4 or 5 positive yards are better than a sack, incompletion, or interception.

And when scrambling horizontally, don't be afraid of throwing the ball away. Incompletions are better than sacks or interceptions.

And when in the pocket, don't be afraid to take a sack. Remember, I advised stepping forward into the pocket. You're already less likely to be sacked when you're doing this properly, but at least now when you do get sacked, you're only losing 2-5 yards instead of 7-12 yards.

And I can't emphasize enough the importance of scrambling, even with pocket passer QBs. If you're killing them on the ground because all your guys are covered so you just take a 5 yard run, they'll start leaving a LB in a QB spy often.

LB in a QB spy is a killer if you're a scrambling quarterback, because you need a blocker to take care of him if you're going to do much with your feet. But if a pocket passer can force a LB into spy, that means either one less blitzer or one less in coverage. When a pocket passer forces the defense to use a QB spy, the offense is now playing 11 on 10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Banned

JSHT21's Arena

OVR: 3

Not sure how you know who will get opened first, second, etc.

I know the game shows you the preferred route, highlighted in orange.

I always just check down, is that doing the same thing?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

i am having success online with short passes from 1-15 yards anywhere farther is harder with the improved defenses
Old 07-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

My first couple games, I'd start out 0 - 5 passing. Then I'd get a rhythm and get going. I'm adjusting to the new defense, for certain. My brain immediately says "LB will stay still" and then I throw it and the LB doesn't behave like my brain expects.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »