Home

First NCAA game looking for some help

This is a discussion on First NCAA game looking for some help within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
First NCAA game looking for some help

Hey guys, I am a huge sports gamer but until now I have ignored NCAA football. Due to this forum mainly, I have decided to give it a shot this year. But I must admit, my only previous experience is madden when it comes to football and even that I was not that good and played it very casually.

Everyone on here seems to be very knowledgeable of all the different school's styles and offenses and defenses. I know very little about any of that. Things like the Spread vs. Air Raid makes no sense to me. Now I could play this game like I played madden which is basically asking the coach every play and never really learning anything besides how to tackle and how to sprint and how to do a spin move, but I would like to actually learn what this game is all about because the community seems so good and I would like to find a home with this game so to speak.

I am not asking you guys to write out and explain to me what all the different offenses, defenses, school styles, and popular plays are. But perhaps if you guys came across a guide or a post where someone else explained this stuff for beginners I would love to read it.

So yea I would appreciate any help you guys could send my way for a beginner hoping to find his way into the proper way to play this game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Pro

Ballgame59's Arena

Re: First NCAA game looking for some help

I too am a beginner to this franchise. I have some questions that I hope someone can help with.

I see many threads about sliders however none (that I can find) for beginners. Can someone point me in the right direction for sliders for beginners?

I want my defense to 'Contain QB'. Where can I find that setting in Dynasty Mode?

Is there any way to customize the defense buttons? I want the L1 button to switch my defenders. Not the 'O' button.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
MVP

SpartyParty11's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballgame59
I too am a beginner to this franchise. I have some questions that I hope someone can help with.

I see many threads about sliders however none (that I can find) for beginners. Can someone point me in the right direction for sliders for beginners?

I want my defense to 'Contain QB'. Where can I find that setting in Dynasty Mode?

Is there any way to customize the defense buttons? I want the L1 button to switch my defenders. Not the 'O' button.

Thanks in advance.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...tball-sliders/ here's for the sliders. Just go through that forum and you should be fine.

I can easily explain anything to any of you. I'm not much of a pro sports fan cause every team runs the same offense (Thank goodness for Chip Kelly making the NFL more fun to watch) so I live and breathe college football so I can answer you guys.

For the qb contain move, I have a ps3 so I can only tell you that but I believe it's similar to 360 to qb contain if you press L1 during the playcalling screen it'll allow you to adjust your defense's aggressiveness, one option should be qb contain. Switch that to aggressive and they'll focus on the QB almost 24/7. However, after a play is called, there should be an option on defense where you can tell what your defensive ends/tackles to do, if you hold that button, an option should come up where if you move the analog stick in a certain direction it'll allow you to qb contain.

as for switching controls, i don't think NCAA allows you to, but if you go into settings in the main menu and go to controls, it may allow you to switch controls

Michigan State Spartans
Oregon Ducks
Miami Hurricanes
Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Central Michigan Chippewas (College I'm Attending)
Old 12-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
MVP

SpartyParty11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashFlang
Hey guys, I am a huge sports gamer but until now I have ignored NCAA football. Due to this forum mainly, I have decided to give it a shot this year. But I must admit, my only previous experience is madden when it comes to football and even that I was not that good and played it very casually.

Everyone on here seems to be very knowledgeable of all the different school's styles and offenses and defenses. I know very little about any of that. Things like the Spread vs. Air Raid makes no sense to me. Now I could play this game like I played madden which is basically asking the coach every play and never really learning anything besides how to tackle and how to sprint and how to do a spin move, but I would like to actually learn what this game is all about because the community seems so good and I would like to find a home with this game so to speak.

I am not asking you guys to write out and explain to me what all the different offenses, defenses, school styles, and popular plays are. But perhaps if you guys came across a guide or a post where someone else explained this stuff for beginners I would love to read it.

So yea I would appreciate any help you guys could send my way for a beginner hoping to find his way into the proper way to play this game
I can tell you the main offenses most of the teams run in a simple way. Pro Style offense is pretty much what NFL team runs. Very simple, runningback and fullback, many of the snaps are from under center. Pistol offense means no snaps are from under center. they either have the qb in shot gun with a running back to the left or right or they have a shorter shot gun and there's a runningback still behind the qb but the qb is never under center. Oklahoma State runs that type of offense kind of, but technically they run an Air Raid offense.....which means most of their plays are passing. Deep, short, medium type passes. I usually use the Air Raid playbook just because I'm a passer an average over 300 yards a game. Spread is what Chip Kelly is bringing into the NFL and tons of college teams are starting to run it. Oregon being the main one. Spread means the ball is out and out quickly whether it is a short pass, screen or a hand off. The Qb mainly makes the decisions, lot's of options, screens, reverses etc. Then you have the multiple offense which is many backs in the back field, and not in a straight line, could be where you have a running back to the Qb's left and then you have another runningback to the Qb's right. Then you have the one back offense which is self explanatory. Last but not least you have the option offense which is pretty much what all the academies run. Many runningbacks, lots of fake hand offs, qb runs, triple option etc. Barely any passing. So if you're down by 9 or more points late in the game, you may not want to run that offense. Navy is one of the main teams that run that offense. If you have any more questions, let me know

Michigan State Spartans
Oregon Ducks
Miami Hurricanes
Old 12-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm probably not the best to respond here but since no one else has replied yet I'll tell you what I think I can. So the main types of offenses are:

Air it Out (Air Raid) - As you probably know it's based around passing the ball a lot
(I haven't looked at the Air it Out playbooks yet but it's the same thing)

Spread - Pretty much the same idea as Air it Out except most if not all are in the shotgun formation and you have quite a bit of run option plays to form your own scheme.

One Back - Exactly what it sounds like, pretty much every formation with one running back (no fullbacks)

Multiple - Exactly what it sounds like, multiple formations

Option Offense - Wishbone, flexbone and other old timey offenses you really only seem from the academy teams

Pro Style - Pretty much a combination of spread, ace, weak/strong, and probably the I formation

I think the others are self explanatory. Umm I don't know what else to say really it's more like a game you just learn as you go it's kinda hard to give tips because all the other tips are really specific to things. I'm sure someone else will come a long and give you a better explanation of things. I would probably just start out using a pro style or multiple offense and learn the running game and see if you like the speed or power or balanced running backs. The passing game is really learning when to use what kind of play.

-one important thing is to not drop like 10 steps back when you hike the ball to pass it because it will just make the distance you have to throw it farther which increases the chance of an interception or bad pass.
-try to make sure the guy is open before you throw it because I feel like a lot of newcomers don't know how quickly a defensive back can make a good cut on the ball.
-And really the most important thing is to learn to read the route cuts. like say if you have this play..

you can see on the right side our "B" receiver's route ends much quicker than the others so we want to see if he's open first. So you kinda just make checks on how fast they end their route or make a cut rather than just constantly glancing around the field until you see when someone gets open because that is just really inefficient.

So if that wasn't already stuff you knew then I hoped it helped some. If you already knew that then maybe it helped someone lol. There's good sliders to use if you want to do a certain mode here http://www.operationsports.com/forum...tball-sliders/
and you can try to find one that matches your skill level and you can read comments from other people to see how they felt about it and usually the creator will help you out some.

Last edited by BLACKHORSE09; 12-24-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

oh sweet someone else left a comment between the time I was writing mine lol.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
MVP

SpartyParty11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE09
oh sweet someone else left a comment between the time I was writing mine lol.
I think yours explains it better haha

Michigan State Spartans
Oregon Ducks
Miami Hurricanes
Old 12-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
Pro

Ballgame59's Arena

Thanks, guys. This helps a LOT. I'm pretty ticked off at my self for coming to the party so late.

I think the last time I played was 2004 and for some reason I keep trying use the L1 to switch players so that's what it must have been back then.
I am getting KILLED on defense because I simply can not get used to the 'O' button. Then when I finally DO take control of a player, I don't know what is the best way to make the tackle & usually overrun the ball carrier. It's a shame that there are no custom controls.

I am a big Navy football fan and I got this game to mostly use them ( I LOVE the triple option). I can't help but think that if a team with greater talent used it and incorporated the pass more, they'd be some force. I looked forward to Georgia Tech running this offense however they are not as talented as I thought.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »