Home

Psychic Pass Coverage (Video) - Incorporating a Read-and-React Defense

This is a discussion on Psychic Pass Coverage (Video) - Incorporating a Read-and-React Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #289
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Psychic Pass Coverage (Video) - Incorporating a Read-and-React Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Some of you are on the right path here. Instead of focusing on what the problem "looks like" the real issue is the way that players are programmed.

The players are basically programmed as torsos with a receptor attached to them that reacts to some kind of beacon (the press of a button) etc.

The players, instead should be programmed with logic that is tied into their literal vision (where are they looking?) and also their attributes that allow for varying degrees of reactions to what is being read.

That is the fundamental problem with the pass coverage issue and it can be applied to all of the gameplay. If done successfully, it would revolutionize the way games play more life/sim-like.
Agreed. It's not about having a more realistic looking game, but a more realistic game, period. Players should indeed have "vision" and be able to react to what they see, and should be oblivious to what they cannot.

I would love to be able to realistically ascertain whether or not a defender is able to make a play simply by reading his body language, momentum, eyes, etc. If a CB turns his back, he shouldn't know what's going on behind him.

I also think a huge issue with passing is the fact that CPU WR's don't make plays for the ball. Every WR acts as if they're wide-open and never break from their route, even when they're covered. Conversely, every DB acts like the ball is up for grabs, and they actively make a play for it. If WR's had the same ball-in-air catching logic that DB's had, the defense would seem less psychic, and WR's would seem less brain-dead. There might actually be PI calls too.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #290
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

While playing last night I called a hook route with my X-receiver.

He ran his route while the DB camped out to the outside of the receiver.

I promptly mashed the throw button and led the throw to the inside (right) to make sure if I missed it was away from the defender.

The pass went beautifully.

The DB, on the other hand, did a fantastic levitating duck-duck-goose impersonation.

With the ball about 5 yards from it's target, said-DB went from the "9 o'clock position" in relation to my receiver, and completed his almost 360 degree rotation around my receiver until he had landed at the "6 o'clock position" just in time for the pick.

I went to record the video highlight but instantly thought... what's the use?

The point has already been made.

All this glitter and confetti is fantastic. Animal drool and dung on the field is a nice touch, but at this point I would take a game that had nothing but a "play now" mode IF the game played the way we know it should.

Holding on to hope for gameplay '13
Old 08-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #291
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownWicked
Biggest issue I've had with both NCAA and Madden for the past good number of years is the LBs being able to swat or pick passes being thrown to receivers 30 + yards downfield. You guys may have already touched on this in this thread already so I apologize if so. I'm just ecstatic to finally have someplace to rant and complain about it! lol
Well the players aren't designed to scale or the field isn't large enuff (one or the other is a major issue). And the verticals for these linebackers are too high, in my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »