Home

Psychic Pass Coverage (Video) - Incorporating a Read-and-React Defense

This is a discussion on Psychic Pass Coverage (Video) - Incorporating a Read-and-React Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #41
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Psychic Pass Coverage (Video) - Incorporating a Read-and-React Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt
Hey To_Trill_Too_View209, I've seen you mention your PRC edits in a few different threads. I'm not sure why more people aren't interested. I understand the frustration of having to do that amount of roster editing to solve the problem but nonetheless if it is a possible solution it is worth discussing.
It's really not much. You just edit the teams you play against that season. So 13-14 teams at most that you have to edit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #42
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocker
well it Is a game and they need to program the Defense in a way that works within a closed system and one way to do that is to have the DB "follow" (by knowing) the route and then make moves, reactions based on what happens next.

Are we really expecting EA to program cognizant AI, thinking, reacting AI that makes intellectual reads? Like a human, really?? They need to use some tricks in there to make it appear real. It's not going to BE real.

These machines have 512MG RAM and limited processor power and AI requires lots of both. You are asking for AI that is IBM Watkins type stuff. At least another generation or so away.

I'm not putting a time table out there, but someone needs to push the bar and put expectations out there.

If we just accept certain aspects of the gameplay, the devs will put their focus elsewhere.

To answer your comments/questions; yes, I do expect them to create a better game. I do expect them to find a way to incorproate smarter AI.

If they can program a defender to key on the receiver or on the chosen route and subsequently enter in "X" amount of responses; they can do the same with a different "key".

The defender's eyes are anchor "A". The eyes then read the "key" (anchor "B") of the ball or of the linemen or of the receiver. When anchor "A" interprets the actions of anchor "B" it then computes a response to a level of proficiency allowed by the given attributes of that player.

Look how far games have come in the past 10 years. Look how far technology has come in the past 5 years. No one who works in this industry gets a free pass and they know it.

I like to believe that the devs accept such challenges and enjoy problem solving ways to improve the gameplay.

Sometimes they just need a little boost or redirection from us.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #43
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2

I rest my case.
And that my friend sums it up
Old 07-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #44
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocker
well it Is a game and they need to program the Defense in a way that works within a closed system and one way to do that is to have the DB "follow" (by knowing) the route and then make moves, reactions based on what happens next.

Are we really expecting EA to program cognizant AI, thinking, reacting AI that makes intellectual reads? Like a human, really?? They need to use some tricks in there to make it appear real. It's not going to BE real.

These machines have 512MG RAM and limited processor power and AI requires lots of both. You are asking for AI that is IBM Watkins type stuff. At least another generation or so away.
Maybe so, but when the selling point of a game is it's realism, I don't think it's unfair to expect a better illusion. I mean, this stuff kills the game for a lot of people.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #45
Rookie

To_Trill_Too_View209's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Hey To_Trill_Too_View209, I've seen you mention your PRC edits in a few different threads. I'm not sure why more people aren't interested. I understand the frustration of having to do that amount of roster editing to solve the problem but nonetheless if it is a possible solution it is worth discussing.

Can i ask what kind of testing you did and what observations you had and how you came up with your suggested values for the various Defensive positions?
thanks!!
Aiight cool finally someone understand what the problem is....with the way ea has the logic in for defense if u combine that with a high PRC you get this psychic pass coverage issue going with it at high they dnt have to know look where the ball going with ea program logic in place but if you lower there PRC you can see they guessing what you play call ex: they bring 8 man in the box for your run / pa pass they will bite on the pa most realistic.

Testing

I have seen the cpu look back for the ball
Bit on the play actions
Stay in their zones

values i have made for the Defensive positions its simple these are college football player not pro bowler or hall of fame player there no reason why there PRC should be that high..

hope this wasnt too long for ya.. any other questions i'll be more then happy to go more in depth with this
Ncaa FB: Usc Trojans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #46
Rookie

trrt's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
It's really not much. You just edit the teams you play against that season. So 13-14 teams at most that you have to edit.
I totally agree - no need to do 100+ teams.

what i am more curious about is do the changes really work? ie - do they eliminate some of the "psychic D" behavior without turning the CPU totally stupid in some other unexpected way!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #47
Rookie

To_Trill_Too_View209's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
I totally agree - no need to do 100+ teams.

what i am more curious about is do the changes really work? ie - do they eliminate some of the "psychic D" behavior without turning the CPU totally stupid in some other unexpected way!
yes it works you'll see whole new game play on the field
Ncaa FB: Usc Trojans
Old 07-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #48
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

So a short-term fix would be if they were to patch in a Play recognition slider?

If so, throw in a linebacker jump slider too

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »