Home

Wierd hires

This is a discussion on Wierd hires within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #25
Banned

ClutchCoug's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Wierd hires

Brady Hoke to Michigan... San Diego State to Big10...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #26
Pro

northface28's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconian Sanctions
I guess I'm just frustrated.

I took over Washington State, a 1 star program coming off a 2-10 season and this is what I do with them:

2016: 3-9
2017: 5-7
2018: 9-4
2019: 9-4
2020: 11-2

Now Washington State is a 5 star program and I have A+ prestige yet come CC time I was passed over by Texas, Georgia, Penn State, Notre Dame and Florida who all hired new coaches that were coordinators at small schools. Even Iowa and Georgia Tech passed. My best offer was from 1 star Oregon State.
Damn, thats rough. All the more reason to schedule those teams and beat their skulls in.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #27
Pro

Andrews85's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by northface28
Normally, id agree with this. As a matter of fact, I agree with most of it, except the "broken" part. I dont think CC is broken, it works, now does it work as most of us hoped it would? Probably not, but by no means is it broke.
If WSU's current coach got WSU to an 11-2 team in 5 years he would be offered a job from the all the top schools in the country that were looking for a new coach. The fact that he wasn't offered any jobs from top schools (4-6*), his best being from a 1* team means CC is definitely broken. Unless this is just an extremely rare case.
AFL: Pittsburgh Power
NCAA: PITT Panthers

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
- Jack Lambert
Old 07-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #28
Banned

Draconian Sanctions's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrews85
If WSU's current coach got WSU to an 11-2 team in 5 years he would be offered a job from the all the top schools in the country that were looking for a new coach. The fact that he wasn't offered any jobs from top schools (4-6*), his best being from a 1* team means CC is definitely broken. Unless this is just an extremely rare case.
I have a pretty good team coming back so I should win 11 plus again. I'll sim a lot of the games tonight, play the biggies, and then see what happens next time through and post the results. Hopefully it was just a fluke.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #29
MVP

volstopfan14's Arena

OVR: 20

I simulated 2 seasons with my Arkansas State HC. Year 1 we won 9 games and won the conferance and year 2 we won 10 games. By year 2 I was getting offers from lower prestige BCS schools. I thought that was pretty realistic.

There are 2 problems I see when it comes to hiring. First, there are some coaches whos contracts expire and they are hird as a coordinator before they can re-sign as the HC. For example, SMU had a good season and June Jones' contract expired. Before SMU came up on the coaching carousel, a BCS school hired Jones as their OC. That is so unrealistic and would never happen in real life, however I've seen it happen more than 1 time in CC.

Second, it seems that whenever a team has a vacancy at HC, they always go after coordinators. In real life, most major schools hire a proven HC at a smaller school. For example, this year Michigan hired Brady Hoke (SDSU), Miami hired AL Golden (Temple), Maryland hired Randy Edsall (UConn), Pittsburgh hired Todd Graham (Tulsa), and Minnesota hired Jerry Kill (NIU). Now there are a few exceptions, such as Florida hiring Will Muschamp, but for the most part the top BCS schools try to hire a proven HC at a smaller school. Now a lower tier BCS school such as Vandy, Duke, or Wake Forest would likely hire a cordinator but the mid to top BCS schools should at least be considering some top non-BCS coaches.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #30
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew17
Has anyone else noticed some strange hiring practices by the CPU? Mainly stuff like random OC and DCs from middle of the pack mid-major conferences being hired to BCS conferences. For example this year in my dynasty Ole Miss hires UAB's OC to be their HC. Why? UAB was like 4-8. This wouldn't happen in the real world. BSC schools should realistically be targeting good mid-major HCs or good OCs and DCs from other BCS schools, but it feels like they always hire OCs and DCs from mid major schools (which almost never happens in real life, why would it?) and that HCs move up. UCF's HC has gone 35-7 in his first three years and I don't recall ever see him being targeted by schools in the SEC and ACC or anything. Any one else notice this kind of stuff?

What were the offensive stats for the team of the guy that got hired?

If you're an OC for a team that puts up 35 points a game but the defense sucks so the record is like 2-11; then you're still a good OC.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #31
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:

I took over Washington State, a 1 star program coming off a 2-10 season and this is what I do with them:

Now Washington State is a 5 star program and I have A+ prestige yet come CC time I was passed over by Texas, Georgia, Penn State, Notre Dame and Florida who all hired new coaches that were coordinators at small schools. Even Iowa and Georgia Tech passed. My best offer was from 1 star Oregon State.

That's surprising. I wonder if it has anything to do with who your alma mater is?

Also, were those other big name schools hiring from within or hiring guys who had that school as their alma mater?

Just trying to guess at the logic behind it.

In reality, why would a PAC-12 coach who has established a winning program even be considered for another job? That wouldn't be realistic, so maybe EA has programmed that in somehow.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

Sounds like you moved up to 5 stars too fast. 3 winning seasons after years of mediocrity as a 1 star doesn't scream 5 to me. Now to mention, with the way coaches progress, you are one of a ton of A coaches probably. When supply is high, they can find others.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »