Home

Wierd hires

This is a discussion on Wierd hires within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #33
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Wierd hires

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
Sounds like you moved up to 5 stars too fast. 3 winning seasons after years of mediocrity as a 1 star doesn't scream 5 to me. Now to mention, with the way coaches progress, you are one of a ton of A coaches probably. When supply is high, they can find others.
Remember the coach's prestige rating is just that. Prestige. It isn't a reflection of his ability in any way (that's not in the game yet). So although every coach in the game rocketing up to A or B isn't realistic, some coaches DO rise to prominence very quickly, ala Urban Meyer. If you follow college sports you know a lot of guys become the flavor of the month coach (Rich Rodriguez) and are suddenly "A prestige" guys regardless of their talent and land a big job.

The one rating is trying to be a catch all and it's not going to be perfect. Ideally a coach has ratings for recruiting, progression, play calling, AND prestige. That way a coach can (and should) rocket to A prestige fairly quickly if he has some success, but his true abilities should change much more slowly, if at all.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #34
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
What were the offensive stats for the team of the guy that got hired?

If you're an OC for a team that puts up 35 points a game but the defense sucks so the record is like 2-11; then you're still a good OC.
You're still a good OC but if you're from a 4-8 UAB team, you aren't going very far up the ladder and certainly not to head coach. People wanted to point out Turner Gill, but at least he was the HC and had some success. Your offense would have to be averaging a thousand yards a game for somebody like Ole Miss to want to hire you. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northface28
Normally, id agree with this. As a matter of fact, I agree with most of it, except the "broken" part. I dont think CC is broken, it works, now does it work as most of us hoped it would? Probably not, but by no means is it broke.
Broken? To me, the jury is still out. But the logic and progression of coaches MUST be fixed. As I mentioned to the quote above, there are too many weird hirings. It's like the carousel favors coordinators, regardless of where they are from. Bottom line is that your team has to have SOME success in order for your assistants to move on, regardless of how successful you are as an individual. I want to see OC's from major BCS conferences landing those jobs or HC's from smaller schools and it seems like that isn't happening enough and that is reality.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #35
MVP

volstopfan14's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
Remember the coach's prestige rating is just that. Prestige. It isn't a reflection of his ability in any way (that's not in the game yet). So although every coach in the game rocketing up to A or B isn't realistic, some coaches DO rise to prominence very quickly, ala Urban Meyer. If you follow college sports you know a lot of guys become the flavor of the month coach (Rich Rodriguez) and are suddenly "A prestige" guys regardless of their talent and land a big job.

The one rating is trying to be a catch all and it's not going to be perfect. Ideally a coach has ratings for recruiting, progression, play calling, AND prestige. That way a coach can (and should) rocket to A prestige fairly quickly if he has some success, but his true abilities should change much more slowly, if at all.
I belive they were refering to the teams prestige, not the coaches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by volstopfan14
I belive they were refering to the teams prestige, not the coaches.
I was referring to both. And I'm pretty sure coach prestige has to do with you getting a better job.

It doesn't change what I said. It's a fact as posted by many on here, that coach prestige goes up too fast. If there are 40 A rated coaches, you are just one in the bunch. What makes you stand out over another coach? The game definitely seems to make hires based on your prestige. Otherwise, I could stay at D prestige the whole time and I'd still be getting jobs... but you don't.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 4

yes CC is broken, just like everything else in this game (hello 65-57 games!)

here's my career

2011: OC at WKU - ended at a C
2012: OC at Idaho (moving on up) - ended as a C+
2013: OC at Miss St (SEC!) - somehow going 9-4 made me a A+ OC
2014: HC Tulsa - taking the job at Tulsa made me a C coach, but i quickly got back to B+
2015: HC Tulsa
2016: HC Temple (i put temple back in the Big east, so i had to take a BCS job) - my prestige by now is C+
2017: HC Temple - a big winning season 9-3 (+ victory over #3 TCU) has once again made me an A+ coach

i signed an extension, but before doing so decided to see what jobs id get offered

i've never heard of a HC becoming an OC ,yet it happens in this game. also who signs a 1 yr HC contract? it's like college football is something half the guys working on the game have never heard of
Old 07-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull
yes CC is broken, just like everything else in this game (hello 65-57 games!)

here's my career

2011: OC at WKU - ended at a C
2012: OC at Idaho (moving on up) - ended as a C+
2013: OC at Miss St (SEC!) - somehow going 9-4 made me a A+ OC
2014: HC Tulsa - taking the job at Tulsa made me a C coach, but i quickly got back to B+
2015: HC Tulsa
2016: HC Temple (i put temple back in the Big east, so i had to take a BCS job) - my prestige by now is C+
2017: HC Temple - a big winning season 9-3 (+ victory over #3 TCU) has once again made me an A+ coach

i signed an extension, but before doing so decided to see what jobs id get offered

i've never heard of a HC becoming an OC ,yet it happens in this game. also who signs a 1 yr HC contract? it's like college football is something half the guys working on the game have never heard of
Sounds more like you and not the game. As the scores of my last 4 games are 21-0, 27-23, 27-7, 35-32, and current one is 10-3 in the 4th. Try sliders or upping the difficulty.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #39
MVP

volstopfan14's Arena

This is what I was hoping the progression system would look like.
The ratings system would look like this
A+ - 95-99
A - 90-94
B+ - 85-89
B - 80-84
C+ - 75-79
C - 70-74
D+ - 65-69
D - 60-64
F - 1-59

The max progression for a coach per season would be 10 points, a full letter grade. Most progression would be about 5 points, which is part of a grade. In very rare cases, a coach could improve (or regress) up to 10 points, but on average there would be about 5 points or less of movement. Also, coordinators would lose 10 points when they became HCs. So the max rating for an unproven HC would be a B+. I think this would really help the coaching carousel.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #40
MVP

volstopfan14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
Sounds more like you and not the game. As the scores of my last 4 games are 21-0, 27-23, 27-7, 35-32, and current one is 10-3 in the 4th. Try sliders or upping the difficulty.
Yeah, I'm playing on all-american with SEC Elites sliders and I'm getting pretty realistic scores.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »