Home

Does anyone miss stat overlays?

This is a discussion on Does anyone miss stat overlays? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Banned

bzehrt24's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Does anyone miss stat overlays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchrider1
I thought I saw an interview with Ben H. where he said they increased stat overlays this year? Does anyone else recall seeing that part of an interview or am I losing my mind?
I think you may be referring to a video that I saw where they were showing off the presentation and the "overhaul" it was receiving, but I don't think they mentioned more stats.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
Don't Trust Influencers

ChubbyBanana's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
It's definitely missed. NCAA 09 used to show the individual stats on the score clock like CBS uses in the NFL as well. I'd like to see a lot more in this area. Putting running totals up on the play call screen is a great idea as well.

Also, the game tracks are far too easy to skip over (not to mention fairly rare). When a game track comes up we should have to use triangle to skip and not just hit X like we normally do. That would keep us from skipping them when we don't want to.
Yeah I agree these are missed. I hate hearing that my QB is close to breaking the School Record for passing yards, then having to pause to look at stats to see how many I have.

Audible cues like the one above are great, but they need to be coupled with a stat overlay again.

You'd think that with Achievements/Trophies gained by "Grabbing 200 yards both rushing and passing" that there'd be stat overlays so you can check your progress mid-game.

Twitch Stream
Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplepower_NC
In coach mode you do see the overlays. Ganted...not many but you do see them.
You do. I've done 3 games in the past 2 days and don't recall seeing any thing more than the small bar above the scoreboard that tells you the result of the last play here and there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
Banned

bzehrt24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochalladay32
You do. I've done 3 games in the past 2 days and don't recall seeing any thing more than the small bar above the scoreboard that tells you the result of the last play here and there.
That's exactly what bothers me. EA boasts about the ESPN integration, but aside from the little sideline markers and between quarters animations nothing really impresses me. It looks like a duck, but it doesn't really quack like one.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:43 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzehrt24
Looking back at NCAA '05 and '06, I noticed how after almost ever play a stat comes up, whether it's the team's average rushing/passing yards per game, an MLB's total amount of tackles, etc.. I just feel in order for me to feel completely immersed in the game there just needs to be more statistics. Come this football season, watch the overlays ESPN uses. Why can't EA replicate these?

An example of a sports game that actually has great statistical overlays is MLB 2k10 (and I assume 2k11, but I haven't played that). Does anyone else feel the lack of stats really degrades from the ESPN integration?
i would enjoy more stat overlays but let's be honest, MLB 2k10/11 have no business being mentioned ever, at any time, unless it's about bad games
Old 07-20-2011, 02:26 AM   #14
Banned

bzehrt24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shloopo
i would enjoy more stat overlays but let's be honest, MLB 2k10/11 have no business being mentioned ever, at any time, unless it's about bad games
The presentation and how well they handle statistics is what stuck out about that game. And analog hitting (which The Show '11 took from them ).
Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
Pro

MMurda's Arena

OVR: 5

totally agree. i mean with all the stat junkies who follow sports and fantasy sports nuts out there...its apparent that stats are very important. they always seem to drop the ball on the stat overlays. they hardly come up. i dont see how every play would be excessive. theres always diff ppl involved in each play.

they had the small bar that would pop up in madden 10 right above score ticker. wasnt intrusive at all and relayed info properly. it would help guage how everyone on ur team is doing easier without breaking the immersion by having to pause and hit the menus. it honestly makes my game take a lil longer cuz i dont wanna wait til the end to know what my players are doing. its a shame when in 2012, i still dont know how many yards my qb has or wr has racked up unless it hits some ambiguous number. yea thats great but if i wanna see what my #4 wr has, why do i have to dig in menus when he just caught 2 passes. in real life they would announce "he has x amount of yards after that catch". since the commentary is so far behind the times we have to settle for stat overlays and unfortunately they are MIA.
----------------------
Madden Since '92
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 20

A recap of what the teams did the previous week would be most welcomed. And, actually, "recap" is too strong a word: I just mean it'd be nice to know, during warmups or whatever, if the team I'm playing won or lost the week before, and maybe what the conference standings are, and if the game I'm playing has any added significance - "Penn State has won 14 straight home games" or whatnot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »