Home

Does anyone miss stat overlays?

This is a discussion on Does anyone miss stat overlays? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Banned

bzehrt24's Arena

OVR: 0
Does anyone miss stat overlays?

Looking back at NCAA '05 and '06, I noticed how after almost ever play a stat comes up, whether it's the team's average rushing/passing yards per game, an MLB's total amount of tackles, etc.. I just feel in order for me to feel completely immersed in the game there just needs to be more statistics. Come this football season, watch the overlays ESPN uses. Why can't EA replicate these?

An example of a sports game that actually has great statistical overlays is MLB 2k10 (and I assume 2k11, but I haven't played that). Does anyone else feel the lack of stats really degrades from the ESPN integration?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
MVP

bigwill33's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Does anyone miss stat overlays?

Completely agree. I shouldn't have to pause to see stats. They should come up after nearly every play and be in the play call screen. Stats and sports go hand in hand and ea football seems to miss that point.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Every play is a tad excessive; this isn't baseball. But it would be nice to see them here and there. Maybe to go along with Gametrack? Makes sense if you are recapping the game to show us the numbers that go with the plays.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

They need to seriously 'steal' NFL2k5's setup with the stats being shown while you're picking your play. The CPU doesn't need that whole other side of my screen just to show me its personnel.

I'm not a cleat, facemask, 3D grass, or dreadlock guy but this 'little' thing with the stats drives me crazy. It makes me pause the game at least 20 times to see 'basic' stats.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Banned

bzehrt24's Arena

OVR: 0

Yes, every play would be a little excessive, but literally the only time stats pop up is when a QB goes over 100 yards passing, a receiver goes over 80 yards receiving, etc.

Here are some examples that, I believe, would add some realism:

- Before the games first offensive possession, add an overlay that compares the two teams rushing and passing yards per game, as well as the average amount of points they score/give up.

- When a team heads onto the field after their defense just gave up a score, let us know what they did on their last possession. I know the booth elaborates on this, but it would be nice to see what happened as well.

- Interception? Let's see something that displays how many interceptions that player has on the season, along with total tackles, forced fumbles, etc. '06 had this.

- How about (later in the game) something comes up showing the quarterbacks completions to different parts of the field? Short, medium, and long completion percentages would be awesome.

- And, what I feel to be THE BIGGEST presentation letdown for years and years... why is there no ticker at the bottom of the screen? I CANNOT even begin to fathom why this still hasn't made it in. No matter what you are watching on ESPN, there is always a ticker at the bottom. I want one for this game. I want to see how other teams are doing in my dynasty. This would just add sooo much to the game.

Anyway, that's just my long rant. I hope someone will agree with me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 10

In coach mode you do see the overlays. Ganted...not many but you do see them.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

It's definitely missed. NCAA 09 used to show the individual stats on the score clock like CBS uses in the NFL as well. I'd like to see a lot more in this area. Putting running totals up on the play call screen is a great idea as well.

Also, the game tracks are far too easy to skip over (not to mention fairly rare). When a game track comes up we should have to use triangle to skip and not just hit X like we normally do. That would keep us from skipping them when we don't want to.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
Rookie

ditchrider1's Arena

OVR: 4

I thought I saw an interview with Ben H. where he said they increased stat overlays this year? Does anyone else recall seeing that part of an interview or am I losing my mind?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »