Home

i throw a million interceptions. do you?

This is a discussion on i throw a million interceptions. do you? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Pro

goalie's Arena

OVR: 29
i throw a million interceptions. do you?

ok, i play as Rutgers.

Chas Dodd, QB, is really 4'7", but he doesnt throw THAT many int's in real life... (that was Tom Savage, hahaha)

anyway, i prefer a strong running game, and Rutgers doesn't have one.

any general tips for getting a little better?

oh, and when i don't throw an int, i am often sacked... but that could be Rutgers' o-line which last year was end-of-the-world terrible...

Last edited by goalie; 07-19-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: spell!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: i throw a million interceptions. do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie
ok, i play as Rutgers.

Chad Dodd, QB, is really 4'7", but he doesnt throw THAT many int's in real life... (that was Tom Savage, hahaha)

anyway, i prefer a strong running game, and Rutgers doesn't have one.

any general tips for getting a little better?

oh, and when i don't throw an int, i am often sacked... but that could be Rutgers' o-line which last year was end-of-the-world terrible...
Triple Option? Or just recruit focus on Oline and just push through these tough years. (Dynasty I am assuming) But other than that.. Change playbooks and get more run heavy?

Edit: And please tell me your QB is actually 4'7... He cant be 1 foot and 9 inches shorter than me.. I would be so.... angry.

Last edited by MagicMan1315; 07-19-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
Rookie

georgehives's Arena

OVR: 2

i average about 3 picks a game with AJ Mccarron
New York Yankees
Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

There's a thread in the forums somewhere where I already posted a lot of extraordinarily detailed passing tips. These are tips and strategies that I use for my passing game as part of a run-heavy pro-style offense...
Old 07-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehives
i average about 3 picks a game with AJ Mccarron
I yanked him and put in Sims as my started after he threw a key pick against PSU... haven't looked back... He's rated about the same, but for some reason he seems to perform better...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...sing-ball.html

This has most, if not all, the information you need to become a better passer.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
There's a thread in the forums somewhere where I already posted a lot of extraordinarily detailed passing tips. These are tips and strategies that I use for my passing game as part of a run-heavy pro-style offense...
Provide link.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Here's some basics;

1) Practice mode - Find at least a couple plays in a few different formations (at least 10 total plays) that focus on your better passing threats (I dont know Rutgers lineup this year, so it may be a TE or WR or even the HB himself). Run each of these plays AT LEAST 20 times each until you're able to differentiate who to throw to and when against man and zone coverage. A VERY important part is being able to "progress through your reads" - this means you can look at your primary target if he's not open, you can move across or down the field to the next target, and then again to your 3rd target. I dont recommend on getting past 3 reads (target 1, 2, then 3) as typically the defense will get to you by about the 3rd read. Your final read should generally be a "check down" such as a HB or FB in the flat/swing or TE on a short route, this is who you throw to when your receivers are covered by CBs and a Safety.

2) "QB fundamentals" - Typically your QB will be far more accurate if you actually take a 3-7 step drop -you dont need to actually count, but press the stick down first to simulate the dropback- then you STEP UP in the pocket (push the stick forward for a split second) and make the throw. The game actually does react to poor passing fundamentals more than you'd think... sure it still allows for some fantastic throws on the run, but passing off your QB's back foot makes for HORRIBLE accuracy. This also applies to passing on the run, if you can allow your QB to come to a stop for even half a second before throwing the pass to properly position himself for the throw you'll have far more accurate throws.

3) Throwing lanes - Unfortunately the CPU defense often has the ability to jump passes that SHOULD be over their heads... this often means you need to try to throw through windows in the defense. Your passing line should be clear of defenders, sometimes this means a slight roll to the right or left first to create a clear lane between an LB or CB. Ultimately quite often I find on AA or Heisman the defense will jump on anything that is thrown with a defender between the line from the QB to the Receiver. This is what people call "super LBs" (they jump 10 feet), and one of the few ways around it is to literally "go around them" by moving your QB into a position or waiting for your receiver to clear the defender so the throwing lane is clear.

4) Dont use play action - Play action is unfortunately busted unless you're playing against C- teams, as the DL still reacts far too quickly and often gets pressure too early even if you've "setup" the play.

5) Know the defense - If the entire defense is backed off, and no LBs are showing blitz, then you should audible to a run play instead or expect to throw short-intermediate as anything deep will likely be covered. This also applies in reverse, when the defenses presses up and a safety comes down into the box, you should think about either throwing deep (make sure you have a HB or FB in for extra protection) or have a "hot route" receiver to complete a quick pass to when the pressure comes. Typically running against 8 men in the box only works with a fast RB on outside runs AWAY from the dropped down safety(this actually works really well if you've got an elite RB).

6) Audibles - I cannot stress the importance of being able to change the play if the defense appears stacked up against whatever play you've called. Each formation now has 4 audibles you can use from quick pass, deep pass, PA, and run (not to mention you can also have set general audibles also). You also have the ability to "hot route" a receiver into a different passing route which is often best switched between drags, slants, and streaks depending on the defense. Using these audibles and hot routes allows for "on the fly" corrections of calls and often puts you in a better play than you would be by simply lining up and running the initial play.... there is a reason many college offenses now call plays at the line (the QB lines up and looks over to the sideline for the call) and Peyton Manning and Tom Brady audible quite often because its a major advantage.

7) Consistent run game - Work on getting a run game that typically gets you 3-5 yards... this is fairly easy in reality if you can read the holes properly and just run through them. Getting 20+ yard gains isnt important if you're constantly getting 1st downs, and putting yourself in position for 3rd and short where you can run or pass. 1st or 2nd down should have a run play inserted, even if you only gain 3 yards, you've made it far easier to complete a pass on 3rd down since it can be a shorter route (slants are easy to complete for 7 yards on regularity).

There is obviously far more I could post, hopefully one of those points helps. The passing game requires you follow a few principles but once you've mastered them its a lot easier and you'll find that eventually interceptions are typically your fault because you got greedy or forgot to folllow a key principle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »