Home

when should you use redshirts?

This is a discussion on when should you use redshirts? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 6
What's the secret to redshirting?

In dynasty mode, what method do you use to go about redshirting players in order to get the most out of your players every season?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: What's the secret to redshirting?

If I have an abundance of players at one position and there are upperclassmen with higher ratings than a freshman that I know that I will not get much use out of for that season, I often tag him with the redshirt that year.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #11
Rookie

CrackinBacks's Arena

OVR: 2

I don't have a strategy really. When I recruit I try to fill needs first, then draft for talent. If I can pick up a good player whether I'm stacked or not I will and redshirt him. I also make sure I don't promise too many players they won't redshirt their first season.

I'd love to see EA add greyshirting to dynasty. I can't count the number of times I've lost a quality player early in the season for 8 or more weeks and then still not have them when they get of the DL due to being in a doubtful status. At least if we could greyshirt players, we wouldn't lose a whole years eligibility which would be great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
Rookie

Re: when should you use redshirts?

I usually redshirt freshmen but the other time I will is if I say have 2 OLBers at say 99 overall and then I have a junior 97 at MLB and then a senior rs at 95. I'll redshirt the junior to give myself an extra year of talent.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:13 AM   #13
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

Usually what I do is

- Freshman

But for example, if I have a

73 OVR JR
65 OVR FR
61 OVR FR

I'd redshirt the 65, I can handle the slight drop off in talent for a year, and the lower rating will probably be capable of getting redshirted the following year. Looking at the big picture is key, if a player isn't going to be getting much PT and he can be redshirted, you might as well. I try to start high to low, when it comes to reserves because the lower will take longer to progress and may not be a capable starter for a few years where as the higher could end up being a potential three or four year starter.

Gray shirting would be great too. I just lost my starting QB to a 9 week injury and he missed the whole season, losing his whole sophomore year.

Just be careful not to spread to thin.

Rule of thumb for me is keeping

2 Active QB
3 Active HB
1 Active FB
5 Active WR (if you use a decent amount of passing)
2 Active TE (1 or none if you barely use them)
2 Active every OL position

2 Active every DL position
2-3 active OLB
2 Active MLB (3 or 4 for seperate formations)
5 Active CB (6 is more ideal but 5 is good enough)
2 FS and 2 SS

1 K or 1 P (you can have one do both)

That's for running a basic offense and a basic 4-3 defense. If you use different defenses your personel will vary. Just make sure to have at least one deep.

Last edited by K0ZZ; 07-21-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:25 AM   #14
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
Cornerbacks:

78 SR
78 SR
76 JR
74 FR
72 SR
70 JR

Go ahead and redshirt the freshman because there's a very small drop-off and you're very experienced at the position. Use your upperclassmen if you can. Be sure not too take to much of a ratings hit if your going for a title in a specific season.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo

Last edited by BaylorBearBryant; 07-21-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #15
Rookie

I look at my roster, and look for non red-shirted players and ask myself "will this player have a significant impact this year?" If it's no, I redshirt.

I was playing with Baylor, my new coaching job, and they had Robert Griffin as a Sr(RS) and their backup as a Sr. Griffin is great, and the backup is pretty good, but afterwards there is a dropoff. So, I redshirted the Sr because I needed it.

I usually don't redshirt players that could get into my RB rotation, be a 3rd or 4th WR or CB, or could make an impact on ST like KR's
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 02:00 AM   #16
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

If they aren't in the top 3 of the depth chart and are a FR I put the shirt on them.

If they are a sophomore and could be the starter next year, but are 3rd on the depth chart I put a shirt on them.
Ex. Running Backs
89 OVR SR
85 OVR JR
84 OVR So (He would get a redshirt)
78 OVR So

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »