Home

Recruiting for Dummies

This is a discussion on Recruiting for Dummies within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Rookie

crabcola's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Recruiting for Dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre
Quick hits:

Preface: You can't expect to pull down prospects that are out of your league. Stick to the guys who are interested in you and look at the attributes of prospects for good system fits...

Recruiting board:
-fill your board w/ guys who are top-3 interest
-exceptions to the above: in-state players, pipeline players who have you top 10
-Select 10-14 guys for your board (using above criteria)
-Each week add and subtract from your board. Subtract guys who you are not gaining ground on (be decisive here). Add prospects that are early in the process (still top 10 or 8 schools). Look for guys from your state, then your pipeline

Calling guys:
-offer scholarship right away (not everyone likes this); always offer scholly on first topic. Could save you invaluable time.
-call the guys who have you #1 (looking for the insta-committ)
-spend 5 to 6 topics on the guys you want the most
-spend 3 to 4 topics on the guys you want
-once you get a lead on schools, start reducing the time you spend on guys... if you have; a 400 point lead (3 topics), a 500 point lead (2 topics).... this will save you time again.

Visists:
-Always schedule a vist against a conference opponent - Rivals and Top-25 teams seem to have an impact too

I agree with everything in here except scholly offers. I try not to offer unless the prospect has me number one. The only time I pull the offer card early is to make up a lot of ground. Otherwise, this was well done. I appreciate your tips and am actually going to use them!! Thanks
Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxdmx
I never seem to know how big a lead is safe. Lost a player to Texas when I had a 300 pt lead. smh
The trend is also important. You can usually see this coming and need to make a quick decision when a big school (like Texas) is coming after a guy. Keep your eyes on the rear view and cut your losses unless you can compete with that school.

Eg./ I'm Baylor... If say in wk 6 I had a 500 point lead on Texas, then wk 7 I had a 400 point lead, and wk 8 the lead becomes 300 points... well the writing is on the wall and I would move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcola
I agree with everything in here except scholly offers. I try not to offer unless the prospect has me number one. The only time I pull the offer card early is to make up a lot of ground. Otherwise, this was well done. I appreciate your tips and am actually going to use them!! Thanks
I am very stingy with the time/topics... I've found offering early helps me get out to a lead where I can start to pull time/topics away from guys. That way I might get a few extra topics to throw at new prospect. I like to bring the full court press.. make a big first impression.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

practice makes perfect.

i simulated a couple of seasons. I only recruited, now i know how to get the guys I want.....

ive recruited more than i have actually played.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

I offer as soon as a prospect has me at #1. This strengthens my lead and gives me an instant commit shot.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #13
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8

just use common sense. target players that u actually have a chance of getting. and try to play to ur programs strengths when recruiting. personally, i like to offer scholarships within the first 2 weeks on recruiting. it helps u get a quick jump on some teams if u arnt in a player's top 5
Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

It also helps to understand the bonus recruiting functions. Each week 1 of the 4 will be in play:

3 players will have x2 recruiting designated by the x2 by their pic when talking to them.

3 players will have a few pitches automatically unlocked designated by an unlocked padlock by their picture when talking to them.

1 player will auto commit when offered a scholarship if you are #1 on their board or will auto commit if they already have a scholarship offer, are #1 on their board and you simply speak to them.

1 player will have a pink diamond next to his picture in the recruiting pool. This guy is actually interested in your school but he will not show up in searches. You will move into his top 10 if you speak to him.

Only one of these will happen every week. So if your first guy has a x2 bonus then nobody on your board is going to instant commit that week. This is why I usually find it advisable to limit your board to the guys you are speaking to. You can have a few more and it won't hurt.. but if you have 35 on your board you are probably wasting your x2 multiplier and free pitch unlocks since you may not even get to them.

To find the 4th pink diamond guy its pretty easy. Just go to show all recruits, show info on the first guy (So it brings up his attributes), and then hold down the scroll button. It will start quickly scrolling through all the pictures. Look at the portrait pictures as its scrolling you will eventually hit a guy with a pink diamond to the right of his picture. I have always found it to be a 4 star prospect. Even if you are a 1 star school. I could be wrong since it doesn't happen all that often and sometimes its too late in the recruiting process to bother. But if you do speak to him you will move up into his interested schools.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #15
MVP

Kriech23's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar super
Something I did in NCAA 11 was recuirt 2 or 3 star JUCO players they have less eligbility time but are rated higher than 4 or 5 star freshman and can make an impact right away especially if you are weak in a postion.

Also one other point the recuirting bible hit on this but recuirt LB and DB's this guys are verstile and can be moved around to different postions.

In one year of my dynasty I had two senior safties converted into Outside LB's with 2 senior CB's and 2 senior safties and ran a 3-4 I shut down the pass gave up a little in the run but my D-line pulled through for me. just a few suggestions
Especially if your team isn't very good, no other teams really go after JUCO's until after week 10 it seems like. I do the same, with lower tier teams, and it works wonders for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
Rookie

AZ9er's Arena

OVR: 2

Just read the NCAA 11 Recruiting Bible.. great stuff.. might have to restart my Offline dynasties and try some of this stuff out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »