Home

why are you people saying you can't run option

This is a discussion on why are you people saying you can't run option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #49
Rookie

burter's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: why are you people saying you can't run option

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...t-defense.html

Just look at the videos in that. No one is saying they can't throw for 300 yards (heck the first video guy still gets an easy TD), the point is that DB's shouldn't react that way. I mean really how can you say they do that in real life? Like really? Matt10 sliders do help in that regard, and I actually up some of the cpu's sliders to fit me(playing with akron roser and boston college playbook one back). Just because I might be really good at the game compared to someone else, doesn't mean what they are saying isn't happening in game. I can run drags outs ins all day long, but do I want to run the same type of plays all day long? You tell me........

Option I have no clue cause I never ran option so I won't say anything on that.

Quotes lines from Mr. Schwarzenegger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0...eature=related

How to not get your a** kicked by the police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=uj0mtxXEGE8#!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 5

Oh, is this one of those threads where we brag about how awesome we are? I RUN DA OPTION 4 3000 YDS A GAME AND NEVA THROWN A PICK!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by burter
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...t-defense.html

Just look at the videos in that. No one is saying they can't throw for 300 yards (heck the first video guy still gets an easy TD), the point is that DB's shouldn't react that way. I mean really how can you say they do that in real life? Like really? Matt10 sliders do help in that regard, and I actually up some of the cpu's sliders to fit me(playing with akron roser and boston college playbook one back). Just because I might be really good at the game compared to someone else, doesn't mean what they are saying isn't happening in game. I can run drags outs ins all day long, but do I want to run the same type of plays all day long? You tell me........

Option I have no clue cause I never ran option so I won't say anything on that.
There are many plays where the dbs get torched as well.

For the other poster the point is that the things that are spoken of r not issues. The issue with this game is lag from screen to screen. I throw 1-2 ints a game. I get frustrated as well some games too but i like the difficult games far more than the easy games. I dont run drag routes all day. I run the whole playbook. I feel your frustration but it is not a deal breaker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxamander
I don't care if you personally rush for ten thousand yards a game on Heisman. Blocking is still screwed up on some option plays. That's all I'm saying.
Yeah, there are always run plays that never work because of bad programming. I was surprised to see a couple plays in NCAA 12 work that never worked in Madden (like the QB Wrap and PA FB Slide).

Which option plays are broken in NCAA 12? I have really only used Oregon so far, and I know the WR option, load option, and triple option work fine. The speed option is dicey for me but can work depending on where the LBs play. I'm not sure I'd say that one is busted from a blocking perspective. The read option seems to get blocked okay but I don't get tons of success when keeping it on that play for whatever reason.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #53
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Now I have no real problem running the option from the spread, I pick my spots and usually run for 200+ which is a fair amount in an online 5 minute quarter game. That said, the spread option programming is absolutely atrocious. Anyone that argues otherwise, has absolutely no idea how the spread/read option is designed.

To start with, the actual read option animation makes the play incredibly difficult to run. It is such a slow animation, especially when you keep, that it gives a crashing DE time to recover and drill you way more often than it ever should. The purpose of the read option from the gun is to get players north and south so they are full speed when they hit the line. If you run the read in the game, especially from the Pistol, the QB is forced to take 2-3 steps in the wrong direction before you get control. That is not acceptable for this style of offense and it is the primary reason why it is inconsistent.

The second problem is that the playbooks for spread option are just not designed well. If you look at a team like Oregon, they have so many variations of the exact same look that they have a deadly rushing attack. They have an inside zone read, an outside zone read, a midline read option reading a 3 tech DT, designed gives, designed keeps, triple options off the inside and outside zones and a variety of jet/orbit motion. To the casual observer, all of this looks exactly the same in the backfield. The back makes his J-step, the QB has his eyes up, he makes his read and that is that but they are all different in some way. In the game, you don't have any of that. You have one read option, all the jet motion looks exactly the same and telegraphs the play from a mile away. They finally added some Fk Jet Dive's to some of the Wing formations, which certainly helps, but not a ton.

The whole point of the spread option is to create a numbers advantage and then punish your opponent. If they load the box, you throw your bubble screens (which don't work at all in NCAA). If they are staying home with contain, you pound the inside run game. If they aren't disciplined, you make them pay laterally with the speed sweeps and speed options and the outside zone. That give and take is not in NCAA, which makes the spread option a VERY difficult offense to run.

So while some of you may enjoy running load option after load option with a 95 speed QB against the CPU and then following it up with deep bombs, some of us would like to run the offense legitimately and it is very hard to do that with the game designed as it is.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #54
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Yeah, there are always run plays that never work because of bad programming. I was surprised to see a couple plays in NCAA 12 work that never worked in Madden (like the QB Wrap and PA FB Slide).

Which option plays are broken in NCAA 12? I have really only used Oregon so far, and I know the WR option, load option, and triple option work fine. The speed option is dicey for me but can work depending on where the LBs play. I'm not sure I'd say that one is busted from a blocking perspective. The read option seems to get blocked okay but I don't get tons of success when keeping it on that play for whatever reason.
gun 4 wr trio. that is where i run my read option. if they are in man it really works because they will go to the trips side. where i was struggling at was them having that extra corner over there and he would always make the play. then i made an adjustment. i did the motion read option that way the wr that comes occupies that corner so when i do give the to rb he doesn't make that play.

it also automatically makes that read option a triple option as well because if the de crashes i have a regular option going with that receiver. that one adjustment has been money for me
Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #55
Rookie

Cdog923's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
Now I have no real problem running the option from the spread, I pick my spots and usually run for 200+ which is a fair amount in an online 5 minute quarter game. That said, the spread option programming is absolutely atrocious. Anyone that argues otherwise, has absolutely no idea how the spread/read option is designed.

To start with, the actual read option animation makes the play incredibly difficult to run. It is such a slow animation, especially when you keep, that it gives a crashing DE time to recover and drill you way more often than it ever should. The purpose of the read option from the gun is to get players north and south so they are full speed when they hit the line. If you run the read in the game, especially from the Pistol, the QB is forced to take 2-3 steps in the wrong direction before you get control. That is not acceptable for this style of offense and it is the primary reason why it is inconsistent.

The second problem is that the playbooks for spread option are just not designed well. If you look at a team like Oregon, they have so many variations of the exact same look that they have a deadly rushing attack. They have an inside zone read, an outside zone read, a midline read option reading a 3 tech DT, designed gives, designed keeps, triple options off the inside and outside zones and a variety of jet/orbit motion. To the casual observer, all of this looks exactly the same in the backfield. The back makes his J-step, the QB has his eyes up, he makes his read and that is that but they are all different in some way. In the game, you don't have any of that. You have one read option, all the jet motion looks exactly the same and telegraphs the play from a mile away. They finally added some Fk Jet Dive's to some of the Wing formations, which certainly helps, but not a ton.

The whole point of the spread option is to create a numbers advantage and then punish your opponent. If they load the box, you throw your bubble screens (which don't work at all in NCAA). If they are staying home with contain, you pound the inside run game. If they aren't disciplined, you make them pay laterally with the speed sweeps and speed options and the outside zone. That give and take is not in NCAA, which makes the spread option a VERY difficult offense to run.

So while some of you may enjoy running load option after load option with a 95 speed QB against the CPU and then following it up with deep bombs, some of us would like to run the offense legitimately and it is very hard to do that with the game designed as it is.

Best post in the thread. Hit the nail on the head.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #56
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25

Couldn't say it better. Some people just don't have the mental faculties to grasp this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »