Home

Running Out of the Shotgun Seems Futile...

This is a discussion on Running Out of the Shotgun Seems Futile... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #17
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Running Out of the Shotgun Seems Futile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
On default Heisman you darn near have to just get lucky on the read option because even when you get the defensive end to crash down the line and commit to the running back he can change direction immediately and tackle the QB.

And quite frankly the line simply won't block 2 out of 3 times you run the read option. 3 linemen will completely whiff on the same play. Even in practice mode. I was practicing with Nebraska vs La Tech and they were blowing up plays in the backfield most time with 3 players completely unblocked or whiff blocked.

The receivers don't/won't block on most plays and the CBs know when it's a run because they are 4 yards into the backfield. If you were running a play action pass they will stay with the receiver. Same exact play fake animation but, they know exactly when it's a run. The corners, whether its man or zone have to at least honor the WR in front of him unless he's blitzing.

You will pop a long run every once in awhile. But, the read option in particular at least on Heisman is poorly blocked on most plays and the defense is super hyper aware.

For me at least, default Heisman plays really well with the exception of the read option. Getting outside on many option plays are difficult but the read option is incredibly tough. The line will block on other runs out of the shotgun (draws are very well done) but, not the read.
I'm shocked to hear all this, i make a living on the read option on heisman. Just absolutely nasty, usually run that play maybe 10 times a game and i get nice gains on around 4 of them. the other 6 failures just set up the long successes. If you're looking for a play to work 90-100% of the time, you're either looking for money plays or not familiar with football.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarontab
Well, if you don't know how to play tennis, you should be ashamed for buying a tennis racket. Unless of course, you planned on learning
I know how to play football and if I don't know something I'll learn it. I appreciate the help y'all are giving me. I'm ashamed of buying this because I go to the midnight release(first time ever), I can't wait to play it, then I spend more time trying to fix the game then play it. I really want to enjoy this game. I've tried the varsity sliders play a couple of games have some difficulty running thought it was my fault, then go into dynasty then bam! Infuriating. I waited for named rosters, then re-rated rosters(cparrish is working very hard on them!), I'm looking for sliders(to you guys working on them thanks for fixing the game I'm sorry for my bitching), and solutions for everything else under the sun.

If it wasn't for OS the game wouldn't be as successful. I have to thank y'all helping with my problem for your assistance.

OS makes this game enjoyable. It's not right.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
I'm shocked to hear all this, i make a living on the read option on heisman. Just absolutely nasty, usually run that play maybe 10 times a game and i get nice gains on around 4 of them. the other 6 failures just set up the long successes. If you're looking for a play to work 90-100% of the time, you're either looking for money plays or not familiar with football.
I'm looking for a play that will be properly blocked. I understand football and I know what player to read off of and also the correct way it should be blocked. Why would I want a money play? Who said anything about something working 90-100 percent of the time? If I wanted that I would have stated that. I can pop some big runs probably 2 out of ten times but, it's poorly blocked more times than not. Runs out of other formations and even other runs out of the shotgun are properly blocked.

Last edited by Bootzilla; 07-23-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #20
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
I'm looking for a play that will be properly blocked. I understand football and I know what player to read off of and also the correct way it should be blocked. Why would I want a money play? Who said anything about something working 90-100 percent of the time? If I wanted that I would have stated that. I can pop some big runs probably 2 out of ten times but, it's poorly blocked more times than not. Runs out of other formations and even other runs out of the shotgun are properly blocked.
I wasn't saying you wanted a money play, i was qualifying what i consider "successful" with a play. Not directed at you, def not meant to be disrespectful.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
I wasn't saying you wanted a money play, i was qualifying what i consider "successful" with a play. Not directed at you, def not meant to be disrespectful.
It's all good. The issue isn't the success or lack thereof of any type of play it's the execution. Now if you are out-talented or out-schemed there's only so much you can do. When the failure is in the attempt at properly executing the play that's when I have an issue. When my 85 rated tackle cannot block the 72 rated DE only on one type of play it makes me wonder why. Heck if I a run a power behind that same tackle he takes care of that same DE rather easily. He certainly doesn't whiff or go looking to block second level instead of the man right in front of him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #22
MVP

Just a tip or an FYI. I found you will have greater success running read option if when the end crashes down or follows the RB to not take control of your QB right away. The DE will stay with the RB longer following the fake.

Even with auto sprint on, the defense almost treats it like it did when you would manually sprint where every defender would just break blocks. You kind of have to let the animation play out and let the cpu guide you for a fraction of a second. I've noticed a pretty big difference by relinquishing control for that fraction of a second. The cpu gets you out of the fake and into a running animation much quicker than you can when you're controlling.

Just my .02 hope it helps some guys out.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Just a tip or an FYI. I found you will have greater success running read option if when the end crashes down or follows the RB to not take control of your QB right away. The DE will stay with the RB longer following the fake.

Even with auto sprint on, the defense almost treats it like it did when you would manually sprint where every defender would just break blocks. You kind of have to let the animation play out and let the cpu guide you for a fraction of a second. I've noticed a pretty big difference by relinquishing control for that fraction of a second. The cpu gets you out of the fake and into a running animation much quicker than you can when you're controlling.

Just my .02 hope it helps some guys out.
I'll try that... I heard somewhere if you set your o-line to aggressive(you know where you make the o-line shift tight or left) it helps with the effectiveness. It worked a little bit better but I'm going to stick with more regular formations cause it's such a pain. Thanks Guys.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerHog471
Nebraska has a solid O-line which most spread teams don't you run the spread to compensate for talent when you play with USF and others you have to edit the AI and everything else. Sometimes you can get 10 yards then the next couple of plays you're lucky to get three. You have to get lucky to be able to run and when my RB average 2.2 yards on 31 carries it's very frustrating. I wan't a fair sim game but when I can't run on the likes of Troy and Wake Forest it's aggravating. It's simple logic that they haven't fixed in the last couple of years.
What is your quarter length? If you're struggling running the ball out of the spread... and getting 31 rushing attempts per game with your RB... sounds like the problem is you're running far too much.

You should be running the ball 30-40% tops out of the spread. Actually, probably less than this when it comes to pure called running plays with your RB.

But when you do run out of the shotgun, you should try running DRAW plays and OPTION plays and OPTION READ plays...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »