Home

Running Out of the Shotgun Seems Futile...

This is a discussion on Running Out of the Shotgun Seems Futile... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #25
Rookie

thisisasticup's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Running Out of the Shotgun Seems Futile...

I ran for 2900 yards almost exclusively out of shotgun with oregon in my offline dynasty on heisman, its all about patience, using your blockers, and setting up plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #26
Pro

44drob's Arena

OVR: 27

Now with my 4th year playing in NCAA games . I noticed in this years game . Theres sometimes a open cutback lane on the speed option (between the guard and tackle) and the read option (same hole as speeed option)

GLORYERACLOTHING.COM
TRU2THA GAME
Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 6

Yeah running out the shotgun is bad.
Occasionally i can run an off tackle for 10 yards but usually I get hit for a loss.
Two runs work out of the Shotgun.
First is a Draw which is works great because the backer drop back and you can get a good gain.
The second one is the The option where the QB can handoff or keep it. Its hard to do because you have to make a quick read and if you dont then you will lose yards, and your QB also needs decent speed.
If the DE comes down you dont hand it off. If he stays then you give the ball
Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 15

It might by your sliders or heisman. Heisman tends to take on a mind of its own. you will see your oline get shedded as soon as you hand off the ball everytime.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #29
Rookie

teammaxwell's Arena

OVR: 10

you are not alone KillerHog, you are not alone!

I can't run out of the dang shotgun either...

defense stacks the box, I audible to a pass, defense is dropping back and interception.

defense stacks the box, I audible to a pass, then audible to a run, then audible to another run, and then audible to a pass, so on and so forth... they know excatly whats coming everytime.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 9

While it doesn't produce enough success to run consistently for me, I have a quick HB that I use out of shotgun sets and it works decently well.. Picking up sometimes 8 - 14 yards on a good run.

What I do notice with the shotgun and the pistol running formations is that the blockers have a harder time holding blocks with the distance of the back than they do out of the single back or near back formation. It's still effective, but IMO, not as effective as the single back formations.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #31
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
Just a tip or an FYI. I found you will have greater success running read option if when the end crashes down or follows the RB to not take control of your QB right away. The DE will stay with the RB longer following the fake.

Even with auto sprint on, the defense almost treats it like it did when you would manually sprint where every defender would just break blocks. You kind of have to let the animation play out and let the cpu guide you for a fraction of a second. I've noticed a pretty big difference by relinquishing control for that fraction of a second. The cpu gets you out of the fake and into a running animation much quicker than you can when you're controlling.

Just my .02 hope it helps some guys out.
Anyone that runs a shotgun rushing attack needs to give that tip in bold a try. If you let your QB/HB execute the fake for a longer period of time, the read option improves immensely. Not only does the DE have to fully commit one way or another, but the footwork of the QB post-fake is much better and gets him going downhill faster.

It is more noticeable on certain plays than others, especially in Wildcat, but it is a very good tip. Just wait it out until your QB pivots back against the grain before taking control.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #32
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
Anyone that runs a shotgun rushing attack needs to give that tip in bold a try. If you let your QB/HB execute the fake for a longer period of time, the read option improves immensely. Not only does the DE have to fully commit one way or another, but the footwork of the QB post-fake is much better and gets him going downhill faster.

It is more noticeable on certain plays than others, especially in Wildcat, but it is a very good tip. Just wait it out until your QB pivots back against the grain before taking control.
I get the read option with a good o-line it's easy. It's not always there consistently for lower teams because the blocking AI for the shotgun is the same as Madden. The problem with this is the pro's run mainly under center and maybe throw out of the shotgun. If you look at the lower teams most run some sort of spread/multiple offense. They don't have the luxuries of multiple 85 OVR linemen so it's not effective.

Some people run out of the shotgun by jacking up run blocking AI which is unnecessary cause EA should fix the shotgun blocking AI first and foremost instead of relying on sliders cause they only go so far before it become too easy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »