Home

Man, it is downright creepy how much NCAA 2002 looks like the current gen. With vids

This is a discussion on Man, it is downright creepy how much NCAA 2002 looks like the current gen. With vids within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #41
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Man, it is downright creepy how much NCAA 2002 looks like the current gen. With

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckstopshere
For me there's no question that there are some features still missing from the current games that they had back then and I think that's inexcusable regardless of pretty graphics and production values.

A lot of people still refer to 06 with fondness and I'm one of them. That thing practically was a light RPG in terms of the depth of features it had.

The OP's video and such proves my own suspicions to a point where my response is like someone else said: An angry chuckle of sorts.

Sure. All I was really trying to say in the first place is that some of the presentational similarities are pretty startling given how 2002 is a ten year old game.

Obviously the current games look a ton better and are more challenging to play.

But NCAA 2002 is a lot more similar to NCAA 12 than say, Super Tecmo Bowl was to NCAA 2002, for example. Despite the fact that there were roughly 10 years between each example. (Yes, I know different developers etc.)

1991 = Super Tecmo

2001 = NCAA 2002

2011 = NCAA 12

1991:

2001:

2011:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #42
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Man, it is downright creepy how much NCAA 2002 looks like the current gen. With

But the advancement in technology over the first 10 years is far greater than the advancement over the past 10 years.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #43
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
But the advancement in technology over the first 10 years is far greater than the advancement over the past 10 years.
I was thinking about that. I'm not sure I agree but I hear what you're saying.

I will say that by the 2000's they had hit on a good interface for the game so the changes were likely to be less drastic.

I was looking at some other vids too and by around 2004, I think it's basically 80% of the game you have today.

None of this is really meant as a criticism either. Just observing.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #44
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
I agree. Graphically, NCAA 12 is by far the best we've seen, although some of the colors appear dull and worn to me (see the orange and blue differences in the screen shots in the earlier post). As far as gameplay goes though, it still has a robotic feel to me that just doesn't feel fun when I'm playing. I don't know how else to describe it. Not only that, but a lot of times I feel like I'm playing the same team, regardless of names, attributes, and ratings.

Strides have definitely been made in the playbook department as teams, for the most part at least attempt to run an offense representing the offense they run in real life, however the games still feel scripted to me. When I play the PS2 versions in dynasty mode, playing Miami (FL) and Miami (OH) definitely had different feels to them. The distinction between those two programs on the PS3 just doesn't feel the same. I remember how much fun it was landing a stud RB or QB on the PS2 version that you knew would be an instant difference maker. The 4 & 5* star recruits definitely outshined the 1* recruits on the game. The separation between those now just doesn't seem the same, so recruiting feels far less rewarding. I can take 2* QBs and perform just as well with them as I can with 5* QBs, which shouldn't be the case. Despite all of the new recruiting features that have been added throughout the years of next generation consoles, the PS2 recruiting (although not quite as realistic in terms of options and the whole process in general), just seems far more rewarding and fun.

Last edited by crques; 07-26-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #45
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
It was so much easier to play pass coverage on the PS2 versions. I think it was a combination of slower passing speeds and more weight/momentum of the players. Because players weren't so twitchy you could anticipate routes better and also control your player better. In the current game it is still very hard to defend the pass and it gets frustrating. Just try catching a punt that you try to down before it reaches the end zone. You know where it's going to land yet it's very hard to stop on that spot.

I think most of the current devs play exclusively as a DL and DB play isn't something they focus on. I rarely play as a DL and I miss the ability to make plays as a DB the way I did on the PS2.
Oh so true. There are those key words again (weight/momentum/twitchy movement). The base fundamental that has been neutered for this current generation. PLAYER MOVEMENT. I used to love playing CB also. Not so much anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #46
Rookie

Strings74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
Oh so true. There are those key words again (weight/momentum/twitchy movement). The base fundamental that has been neutered for this current generation. PLAYER MOVEMENT. I used to love playing CB also. Not so much anymore.
I think the movement feeling clunky is a byproduct of the better animations. Moving a player used to be the same as moving a circle around the screen, now it's different.

I think the new way is definitely more realistic (not being able to reverse direction instantly) but the old way was just kind of more fun.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #47
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

OVR: 21

Bethurene... that made me crack up.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strings74
I think the movement feeling clunky is a byproduct of the better animations. Moving a player used to be the same as moving a circle around the screen, now it's different.

I think the new way is definitely more realistic (not being able to reverse direction instantly) but the old way was just kind of more fun.
I think you have it backwards my friend. The new way should read (being able to reverse direction instantly) Thats what we're trying to get rid of. There's no clunky movement now man. The players lack any type of weight these days.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »