Home

Do Great Players Stand out Enough?

This is a discussion on Do Great Players Stand out Enough? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do the Great Players Stand out Enough?
No. Great players need more of an impact. 22 57.89%
Yes. Game plays just Fine. 13 34.21%
Too much! They need to tone them down! 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Do Great Players Stand out Enough?

This game lacks personality imo. I don't see great players dominating as much as they should. Play against a great WR and they do next to nothing. The cpu RBs all seem the same and it's hard to tell the difference between the elite and average ones. I don't think the great players stand out nearly enough in this game. I want to fear playing against them and I don't feel that way at all. It's not the overall difficulty either as the scores seem realistic when I'm playing but without seeing the great players stand out this game has a very vanilla feel to it imo.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Do Great Players Stand out Enough?

I think they stand out. THe Star Players often make the big plays.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I can tell a marked difference at both the QB and HB positions. With the HB, the difference registers primarily in their tackle breaking ability and forward progress. With the QB, good ones just seem to have better instincts, reacting to blitzes well and carving up zones.

I do not see a marked difference at WR, DE, or DB, though I may not be looking hard enough.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
This game lacks personality imo. I don't see great players dominating as much as they should. Play against a great WR and they do next to nothing. The cpu RBs all seem the same and it's hard to tell the difference between the elite and average ones. I don't think the great players stand out nearly enough in this game. I want to fear playing against them and I don't feel that way at all. It's not the overall difficulty either as the scores seem realistic when I'm playing but without seeing the great players stand out this game has a very vanilla feel to it imo.

Thoughts?

Honestly, one offense, the running backs and QB's do stand out to me. Playing against Stanford their QB completely destroyed my better than average secondary (and I usually have pretty decent pass defense). Playing against Michigan State, their 91 rated RB showed some flashes I hadn't seen from many others, though I think offensive line play is as big a factor in how well a RB does.

On defense, the only difference makers I see are DT's and linebackers. An all-star defensive tackle can make it difficult to run the ball up the middle unless you have a superstar set of guards and center. Also, superstar middle linebackers make running the ball difficult in general. Up the middle and they'll make a tackle. Run outside, and they race to that side to make the tackle.

All of that being said, I think the superstar WR's and superstar safeties really are under appreciated in the game. A great WR will usually catch balls when he's open, but it doesn't seem like they get open more easily than anyone else or make the spectacular deep catches more than anyone else. I play with a team that has a FS as one of their impact players and I just don't get much "impact" from him. Sure, he makes some plays in run defense because he's a "big hitter" but he gives up a lot of passes thrown in his direction.
But... if it's real, you'll feel it.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Slider settings are crucial. If set right, the great players can kill you while you can kill the mediocre ones.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanBoy81
All of that being said, I think the superstar WR's and superstar safeties really are under appreciated in the game. A great WR will usually catch balls when he's open, but it doesn't seem like they get open more easily than anyone else or make the spectacular deep catches more than anyone else.
I will completely agree with the WRs. They don't stand out at all, particularly when the cpu plays with them.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Rookie

Illcat's Arena

OVR: 3

WRs especially, for some reason, impact studs just don't seem special. I even tested it with Oklahoma State in playing with them, against them, and watching cpu vs cpu games. I think we can all agree Blackmon aka WR#81 should stand out. Playing with them I had to force the ball to him, never seemed to have any more separation than anyone else. When he got single coverage he never bailed Weedon out, never out jumped or out muscled anyone, just seemed like any other WR. Playing against them there were several games where he had one catch and one where he had none. I was not double teaming him at all and Weedon only went his way a couple of times. Watching cpu vs cpu was the same They just never really set him up and he never led any game in receiving, not even close.

RBs on the other hand is a different story; I fear Trent Rich...lol With the exception of RBs that run out of the spread, I have had to coach to stop upper echelon backs, hell, even decent ones if they get going.

I see a difference between QBs but it's subtle. I see weak ones have great games and Great ones have poor games, randomly. I just don't feel like I have to go into a game doing certain things because the QB is a stud. The only thing I do is look out for scrambling ones, but that's with everybody.

On defense I can see the difference in stud LBS, DTs, and DBs. I hate that no matter what team I play with, if DE is a stud or not, my DT will lead in sacks. Impact corners and safeties make me pay or will be there for many pass deflections and breakups. Safeties that are hitters will have big hits and cause turnovers.

Last edited by Illcat; 07-29-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 07-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I can tell a marked difference at both the QB and HB positions. With the HB, the difference registers primarily in their tackle breaking ability and forward progress. With the QB, good ones just seem to have better instincts, reacting to blitzes well and carving up zones.

I do not see a marked difference at WR, DE, or DB, though I may not be looking hard enough.

Agreed, the star skill position players on offense chew up my sim D, but that's because I'm an OC. Don't know if that would be true if I controlled my own defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »