Home

Unfortunate Roster Glitch Observation

This is a discussion on Unfortunate Roster Glitch Observation within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6
Unfortunate Roster Glitch Observation

From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave731
This is not true...When you go into a game with unedited rosters, "Denard Robinson" of Michigan will scramble out of the pocket frequently as he should because he is listed as a scrambler. However, with edited rosters, he will no longer scramble despite his attributes remaining the same and that of a scrambler. I've seen this firsthand in several situations as I'm a coach mode player first and foremost and this is where player tendencies come into play very often. In short, it is a game breaking glitch that will cause teams/players to not play to their actual default tendencies.
Is there any irony at all in the fact that we wouldn't realize this game is "broken" (which it's not) if EA wasn't so obviously using the likenesses of real life student athletes? If it was ACTUALLY just a bunch of random players, nobody would care that QB #16 didn't scramble as much. Instead, it's so blatantly obvious it's Denard that people get outraged...kind of cracks me up. EA is probably in a weird position now, because they (in a roundabout way) have to admit they really are profiting from their likenesses. What a goat-rope.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Husker Power

Spooky's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Unfortunate Roster Glitch Observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarontab
From another thread:

If it was ACTUALLY just a bunch of random players, nobody would care that QB #16 didn't scramble as much.

Nobody would probably care to actually PLAY the game either. At least I wouldn't. What point is there to playing as Nebraska or Florida State, if there are no differences in reality between them?

Maybe I'm in the minority?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29
Well if the ongoing lawsuit is any indication(and now it seems being able to edit the rosters is an issue in the case) and EA loses, future versions may not have correct rosters in any form and the ability to edit anything at all could be removed from the game.

Note I got this from Pasta and couldn't find any current news on the lawsuit after he tweeted this so take from it what you will, but it brings up the question just how many people would still buy the game if that is the ends result of the lawsuit. I know I would have to think hard about it if they didn't even resemble how the real teams play...

sent from parts unknown
Old 07-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
MVP

BDawg35's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky
Nobody would probably care to actually PLAY the game either. At least I wouldn't. What point is there to playing as Nebraska or Florida State, if there are no differences in reality between them?

I would never play the game if the players were totally random and bore no resemblance to reality. I would play Madden, with real player names.

The first time I ever got my hands on both games was in the Christmas of 2001. My buddy brought over NCAA 2002 and Madden 2002 for me to borrow. I wanted to see what Michigan looked like, so I popped in NCAA - no names, because he didn't have edited rosters. No fun. No thanks.

Popped in Madden - names of players I know about. I borrowed Madden instead.

I finally bought NCAA in 2003 and edited my own rosters, about 75 teams before I got tired of it. Then a fellow sports writer brought me a memory card with full rosters on it. Coolest thing EVER!

If the day comes that EA has to make the players totally random and you can't edit the rosters, I'll quit playing the game.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Rookie

HokiesCavs's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarontab
From another thread:

Is there any irony at all in the fact that we wouldn't realize this game is "broken" (which it's not) if EA wasn't so obviously using the likenesses of real life student athletes? If it was ACTUALLY just a bunch of random players, nobody would care that QB #16 didn't scramble as much. Instead, it's so blatantly obvious it's Denard that people get outraged...kind of cracks me up. EA is probably in a weird position now, because they (in a roundabout way) have to admit they really are profiting from their likenesses. What a goat-rope.
But it also affects recruits, so even if the initial roster was completely random, it wouldn't matter. You would still have 74 speed QB recruits showing up as scramblers, so people would still care because that affects the gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

having accurate rosters are a key part of the makeup in any sports game. the likeness of players could be referenced regardless of whether it is intentional or not if the lawsuit is upheld. generating a roster full of 70 random players is going to draw some comparisons to real life athletes regardless, and there will still be roster makers out there willing to edit in order to make the proper rosters anyways. point being that even if EA loses the lawsuit, it wont stop 'player likeness' from being exploited
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiesCavs
But it also affects recruits, so even if the initial roster was completely random, it wouldn't matter. You would still have 74 speed QB recruits showing up as scramblers, so people would still care because that affects the gameplay.
I put it to you that you probably wouldn't have noticed. Or cared. Obviously it's hard to argue that point because this is our reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky

I wouldn't play it either. Did you believe i was arguing that EA should stop putting the players in the game? Weird stance to take isn't it?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

It's not the player, it is the position........

QBs scramble in real life. Don't matter who it is, they all do it to some degree. Some are just better at it then others.

I mean that would be like playing a baseball game and nobody ever hit any HRs.

Or playing a soccer game and nobody ever did a cross.

Or playing a basketball game and nobody ever dunked.

Or playing a FPS and nobody ever got shot.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »