Home

Progressive "difficulty?"

This is a discussion on Progressive "difficulty?" within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7
Progressive "difficulty?"

I've got a problem that's getting really annoying... I'm in year three of my OC dynasty and the CPU is starting to cheat me like crazy. What's worse, this isn't happening on Heisman, it's happening on my own Varsity slider set.

In year one I started out at Arkansas State. I did pretty well with a spread option attack (my choice and why I like Varsity slider sets... shotgun running is nigh impossible on AA or Heisman in my experience) and ended up going 10-2 in the regular season and eking out a win in the bowl game. In the offseason I get hired by Arkansas somehow, so I jumped at the chance. I go 11-1 in season 1 behind the arm of Tyler Wilson. The one game, though, seemed to be incredibly cheesy. Super LBs, psychic DBs, unblocked defenders, etc, etc. But I didn't want to be "that guy" and quit the game, so I dealt with it (and cursed a few times) and moved on.

Now I'm in season three, and the cheating is getting ridiculous. At this point, I'm not even talking about super LBs and psychic DBs. In games 1-3, I start 3-0 largely behind a strong option run attack. I was 6th in the nation in rushing, and my defense (which I don't control) was playing okay (~30-40th overall), but I was mainly winning by controlling the clock and outscoring the other team. So game 4 comes around (against UK), and all of a sudden, I can't get a yard running. My linemen are running right past DL and my RB is getting stuffed on every play. I try to pass and the coverage is air tight... I end up throwing 3 picks in the game. But I was hitting enough passes to come back from down 21-10 to up 24-21 at the half. The second half was about the same, but a little more ridiculous. Still, I managed to score a go ahead TD with 40 seconds left in the game. I still had a bad feeling, but it was 40 seconds, they had no timeouts, and it was UK... surely I'm safe, right? Wrong. After a 2 yard rush and a 10 yard sack on first and second down (that somehow only took 12 total seconds... yay no huddle), then an incompletion on third down, they're looking at 4th and 18 from their own 12 yard line. What happens? That's right... 88 yard TD pass, game over. BS.

Then game 5 comes around against Auburn. Same crap all game long... unblocked rushers, perfect coverage, psychic DBs, defense in my huddle (amazing how they jump every single screen and blitz every single draw). I even had an interception as the ball bounced off my receiver's head and a LB morphed to catch it. Still, I get the ball back with 45 seconds down 1. I figure, I'm getting cheated bigger than crap here, why not reciprocate, so I go 5 wide, 4 verts every play. Get the ball inside the 10, first down, with 12 seconds left. Call my last timeout to set up the game winning field goal. But what's this? I see on the play by play, that no field goal is ever kicked, Auburn just magically has the ball the very net play and takes a knee! Game over. W. T. F.

Now, hey, I'm all for a challenge. But this is just bull. I don't know if this is related to the roster glitch (I've read that it may be since the player profession is all jacked up), but I hope so, and I hope there's a patch incoming, because I refuse to continue to play this game if it keeps up. What's worse is that there are numerous other bugs in the game... the RTG play calling is atrocious, progression is terrible, there's the infamous roster glitch, and I swear the game freezes on me almost every time I play it.

I find it incredibly depressing that what started as a very promising game has quickly dissolved into the most annoying and frustrating game I've played since the original Stuntman on PS2 (if you played that on the higher levels, you'll understand that I've come close to throwing my controller on multiple occasions) without the satisfaction or sense of accomplishment that that game carried. Has anybody else experienced this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Progressive "difficulty?"

Yup... Some games are just soooooo cheap... I have noticed it with all EA sports games...

FIFA for example. 1st season, could beat the lower tier teams by 6 goals (as would be expected) and in season 5, I need stoppage time to get an equalizer on lower rated teams.

I have noticed it too in NCAA... but its not as bad as FIFA.. I think they do it because they assume most people get better and better recruits/players as they advance in seasons. (My TTU team started as B+ overall and is now A in year 3 with A+ offense and A- defense. So I guess in that senses, they are right) So as a result, instead of people complaining that dynasty mode is "pointless" after 3-5 seasons because it is too easy with people have much improved teams, they make the computer more and more difficult.

Honestly, I kinda prefer it the way it is... I mean yea, sometimes it is just ridiculous and throw 6 interceptions in the first minute (exaggerating of course) but I guess its better that then being up 35-0 and simulating the rest of the game.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yeah, one of my biggest complaints in the game is that you can't leave ANY time on the clock. If you give the computer 30+ seconds with the ball in a one posession contest, they are guaranteed to score
Old 08-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Rookie

Az2k12's Arena

OVR: 10

I don't think it's progressive I think it's just random. I had a 10 point lead on USC with Cal when I was coaching them in a dynasty and with like 40 seconds they get a 70-80 yard TD pass, collect the onside kick (the only time I've ever seen it happen) and on the last play with time expiring my defensive line falls on it's *** in ridiculous fashion to allow a 50ish yard run to win the game. I almost threw the controller I thought I had for sure pulled off the upset with a late field goal to go up 2 scores.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Rookie

PioneerRaptor's Arena

OVR: 8

It definitely happens all the time. It just happened to me against Oklahoma State. I'm playing my third year as an OC, my second year at KU.

Oklahoma State scores on every possesion in the 1st Half. I end up having to do an all-out pass attack just to end the half at 41-30. Then, I end up taking a 48-41 lead in the 4th quarter.

They get a field goal to make it 48-44 and I end up driving the ball back down. My Kicker misses the field goal (his 3rd missed field goal inside the 30). Then with 51 seconds left on the clock they try to score, they get stuffed around mid-field and only have 2 seconds left. Of course, they score the game winning touchdown with no time on the clock with a long touchdown pass.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 5

Everyone has their own feeling of what real is; I myself have not experienced this. My questions would be:

1. What was your team's rating vs. your opp. Again, just my opinion, but I would not expect Ark State to go 10-2 in their first season.

2. What were your recruiting classes like? If you do not keep good talent coming in your team will obviously not continue to just be good.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az2k12
I don't think it's progressive I think it's just random. I had a 10 point lead on USC with Cal when I was coaching them in a dynasty and with like 40 seconds they get a 70-80 yard TD pass, collect the onside kick (the only time I've ever seen it happen) and on the last play with time expiring my defensive line falls on it's *** in ridiculous fashion to allow a 50ish yard run to win the game. I almost threw the controller I thought I had for sure pulled off the upset with a late field goal to go up 2 scores.
This could be true. I guess I should have mentioned that game 3 this season I won like 31-7 at Alabama. It was incredibly odd that they couldn't even move the ball and I had no problems running. To be honest, that makes me even more frustrated when I then can barely get yardage against Kentucky.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »