Home

Pulling OL & FB don't hit second level

This is a discussion on Pulling OL & FB don't hit second level within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
Rookie

CHIEFxxROCKEM's Arena

OVR: 8
Pulling OL & FB don't hit second level

Its a some timing thing with this. Sometimes they pull all the way and hit the second level and sometimes they just stop right in the middle of a hole that you can drive a truck through. It was like this in NCAA 11 as well. Anyone else having this problem?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Pulling OL & FB don't hit second level

This really bothers me. I will have a pulling guard stop right in front of me and watch a linebacker demolish me. It just seems like computer-controlled players lose track of where they are or what's going on rather frequently. Just earlier, I through a pass to a receiver running a post route in the endzone and the ball hit him in the helmet. He never bothered to turn and attempt a catch. If the entire defense can react to the ball being thrown, you would figure one offense player could react, too.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Using MKHarsh33's slider set I run a run heavy playbook (option, marylandI, powerI, etc.) and I do get some OL/FB second level blocking. The key for me is to stay patient and it is awesome to be following one of your big boys right toward a CB! This is my experience.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan04103
Using MKHarsh33's slider set I run a run heavy playbook (option, marylandI, powerI, etc.) and I do get some OL/FB second level blocking. The key for me is to stay patient and it is awesome to be following one of your big boys right toward a CB! This is my experience.
You can only be so patient when your blocker literally stops and doesn't bother engaging a defender. I don't think this is because of a lack of awareness because I had a guard with awareness in the 90s think a cloud was more interesting that the play that would going on.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug
You can only be so patient when your blocker literally stops and doesn't bother engaging a defender. I don't think this is because of a lack of awareness because I had a guard with awareness in the 90s think a cloud was more interesting that the play that would going on.
Exactly and it's a HUGE problem for me because the line doesn't get up to the next level as is and against users I use lead option plays but the FB just runs past the DB he should be blocking.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

Yea it is very annoying. I like that they added the blocking assignments, but they really need to be working to make it better each year instead of keeping it the same like they did this year.

Also, on combo blocks a lot of the time the wrong lineman will release to the second level. So instead of the playside guy taking the MLB, the backside guy takes on the backside backer or nobody and leaves the RB to fend for himself. It really hurts in singleback formations where there is no FB to take on the first guy.

My other issue is that the OL never tries to get their backs to the hole which makes it easy for DL to get off of blocks and get to the RB. Its really obvious on outside runs where the DL can pretty much just disengage and sprint at the ballcarrier instead of being sealed off by the linemen. Also it shows up when the backside DE is able to make plays when the T should be able to wall him off and keep him out of the play.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25

To the OP, what gamespeed are you playing on, also threshold?

I've found that on slow speed at a threshold of around 45 this does not happen as often as on normal speed 50 threshold. Also, increasing run block eliminates this issue. Strange but true.

Definitely an annoyance and hopefully this aspect is tuned in the future.

Follow me on Twitter: CMcLeod_EA https://twitter.com/CMcLeod_EA

www.EASports.com
Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug
In the past the blocker would have just sucked the defender into the block but now they have to touch. I think brings out other problems with blocking.

Check out this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCqg6STgqE&NR=1 Just a 3 man rush on a pass play and same thing, 2 of my blockers just stand and watch as the guy rushes right around them. I even had the pass blocking slider up to 65 and pass rush down to 45.

In past years that rushing DE would have been sucked right into one of those 2 linemen but since they didn't make any contact it seems they don't know what to do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »