Home

Comeback Routes Not Working

This is a discussion on Comeback Routes Not Working within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Banned

ViLLiO's Arena

OVR: 13
Icon13 Comeback Routes Not Working

This is obnoxious. Comeback routes are a huge part of my offense, but a lot of the times they don't work, so the WR just keeps on going deep which results in an interception 100% of the time since I throw it directly to the DB.

This really screws up my offensive rhythm because I use comebacks religiously when I see a defense that I can take advantage of underneath...

It just costs me a game, too. Can this be patched?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Comeback Routes Not Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViLLiO
This is obnoxious. Comeback routes are a huge part of my offense, but a lot of the times they don't work, so the WR just keeps on going deep which results in an interception 100% of the time since I throw it directly to the DB.

This really screws up my offensive rhythm because I use comebacks religiously when I see a defense that I can take advantage of underneath...

It just costs me a game, too. Can this be patched?

The problem is in real football you use route based passing, the ball is released by the QB on many patterns before the receiver breaks. Comebacks are one very good example, if a QB waits for a receiver to break in real life, to start coming back to the ball before he releases, DB's would be ALL OVER the play.

But NCAA doesn't have a route based passing system (well not for your offense, just for the psychic CPU DB's). So if you try to release before the receiver breaks it plays out like a streak.

In this game you unrealistically have to wait for your receiver to stop and turn back before releasing the ball. That makes it a very risky play with the psychic DB's.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Pro

patsfan1993's Arena

OVR: 8

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...o-streaks.html
Old 08-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Rookie

aerovt's Arena

OVR: 3

I hope so. Ive noticed it happens with TE sticks sometimes too. TE is supposed to go ~2 steps forward and then turn around, but often just decides to do fly. Very annoying on 3rd and shorts
Old 08-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Yeah timing is critical to these routes, as you'll usually have the ball in the air before the receiver ever makes his comeback so when he does (and leaves the defender for that split second) the ball is already there and in his hands. The problem with this game is if you throw the ball before your receiver finished his route, he'll tend to just continue in whatever direction he was going when you release the ball, thus he just takes off downfield on these comeback routes. This makes timing routes very frustrating.

On a side note, these timing routes worked perfectly in last year's game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Not seeing this issue at all
Old 08-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

This is why I'm such a proponent of route-based passing. In NCAA and Madden, throwing the ball is wonky because your QB throws based on the current direction your WR has chosen to go. NOTE!!! I said "chosen to go." Which means a CPU WR can choose to "come back" before he's physically done so. This is why you can throw passes before the WR makes his break.

The problem you might be having is that you're throwing the ball before your WR has made this decision. Thus, when you throw the ball, your WR is still running forward. Your QB throws along that path, and your WR automatically knows the ball is deep.

This has been a fundamental issue with throwing the ball in Madden and NCAA for years.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofm1508
Not seeing this issue at all
It must not exist then. Close the thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »