Home

Slot WR's and TE's Dominate

This is a discussion on Slot WR's and TE's Dominate within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #17
Pro

TeddyKGB's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Slot WR's and TE's Dominate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
A route that drives me crazy is the post.
Yes! I swear post routes are NEVER open (to your outside guys). If my WR is running a post, it's always the same drill: He's my first read, he makes his cut, he doesn't separate. And it doesn't matter because the safety is waiting in his path anyway. Oh, and a linebacker will generally be floating somewhere back there, making it difficult to touch it over him and easy for the safety to come over. Hey, but look, either my TE or my slot receiver is running all by himself over the middle.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

I have some success on post routes when the backside WR runs a post but strong side WR is tough on the post route simply because they usually don't get the separation like was said earlier. Against the zone crossing routes are the best have the WR run an in route and put the ball in the hole. Another good route to the outside guy is the curl. If the DB plays press on it sometime the WR beats the press and get a few steps and you can put it in there to him and turns into a big gain.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #19
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Are you finding equal success against man and zone when throwing to the outside guys? And are you able to hit routes like the post in man, or the corner in man?

Part of the deal for me may be time in the pocket. Normally the underneath routes by the TE and slot WR just come open quicker and I don't often get the time to throw the deeper routes to the outside.
Outside WRs don't really run corner routes. That's a Slot/TE route.

Outside guys will run it at times with tighter splits.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #20
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Has anyone had success with run and shoot style option routes out of SG or Pistol Spread? I've had some success here and there with better rated #1 receivers on the outside using these routes. It just seems like they get a bit more separation in these routes.

The problem is they don't read it accurately a lot of the time so when you're expecting him turn for a curl or break into a post or slant, they keep running.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #21
Pro

moblipeg's Arena

OVR: 6

I haven't really had this problem. My number 1 just won the Biletnikoff award and I rarely use formation subs. A couple of formations that may help without putting your number 1 in the slot are the shotgun 4-wide tight, where your number 1 will be on the left outside on the line. Seem routes, drag routes, and post routes work well for him out of this formation. My favorite play is Mesh, where the receiver streaks down the seam and your number 2 runs a drag. If the opponent gets too aggressive, you've got money right over the top to your number 1 who will be 1 on 1 with the safety. The other good one is the reverse mesh which has him run a deep drag route which is great against a shallow zone for about 15 yds. Also, any twins formation will put him in the slot, so thats a way he can be in the slot without feeling like you have to do a formation sub. Play action passes after a good ground n pound can leave your number 1 wide open in the right circumstances.

All in all, I think its about matchups. If a good corner is playing man to man, you may have to motion, or run a good man to man route like a slant. If the defense is in a zone, you'll have to make the right read. Also, a good running game causes the safeties to cheat up, usually leaving your number 1 receiver in a good matchup. Hopefully that helps.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #22
Pro

wepr3's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by moblipeg
I haven't really had this problem. My number 1 just won the Biletnikoff award and I rarely use formation subs. A couple of formations that may help without putting your number 1 in the slot are the shotgun 4-wide tight, where your number 1 will be on the left outside on the line. Seem routes, drag routes, and post routes work well for him out of this formation. My favorite play is Mesh, where the receiver streaks down the seam and your number 2 runs a drag. If the opponent gets too aggressive, you've got money right over the top to your number 1 who will be 1 on 1 with the safety. The other good one is the reverse mesh which has him run a deep drag route which is great against a shallow zone for about 15 yds. Also, any twins formation will put him in the slot, so thats a way he can be in the slot without feeling like you have to do a formation sub. Play action passes after a good ground n pound can leave your number 1 wide open in the right circumstances.

All in all, I think its about matchups. If a good corner is playing man to man, you may have to motion, or run a good man to man route like a slant. If the defense is in a zone, you'll have to make the right read. Also, a good running game causes the safeties to cheat up, usually leaving your number 1 receiver in a good matchup. Hopefully that helps.
I have the same issue as others with my slot/TE my leading receivers. Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #23
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Also comebacks are a great route, just watch for zone coverage.
Xbox-Shugarooo
Twitch.tv/Shugarooo

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »