Home

3-5-3 Defense

This is a discussion on 3-5-3 Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: 3-5-3 Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
If you're set on having a "bigger" defense like the 3-5-3, I would just make an effort to recruit bigger strong safeties. You wouldn't take the awareness hit because they would still be safeties, but they would be bigger and stronger and much better around the line of scrimmage. Look at the individual ratings to see if you can find some safeties with good finesse moves, hit power, etc. All the same things you look for in a quality LB.

The good thing there is that slower safeties are generally under recruited by most schools, so you could possibly find a bigger, B or B- speed safety that could fill that role. You would have to be very careful in your play calling though, a lot of 335 plays have those SS drop into deep zone or pick up a man and if they are slow, they will get torched often.

Last year, I went the opposite and ran a 4-3 but with a nickelback/safety at outside linebacker. In other years, I've run a 4-3 with a manually controlled safety at MLB (think Urlacher in college). In an online dynasty last year, I ran 4-2-5, but each formation had different personnel. My 425 Normal was base personnel, then one of the others had a CB at SS, another had two LB's at safety to make a 4-4 look.

This year with custom playbooks, you can get VERY creative with formations and personnel. My defensive playbook this year is called Multiple Attack. It has all the 425 and all the 335 formations, plus Dime Normal, Dime 326 and all the Nickel formations (love 155 Prowl).
Very interesting. I'll have to try out some of those personnel groups. Right now I'm trying out recruiting some quicker outside linebackers for the strong safety spot, because I use them to blitz pretty often. I kinda wish we had more choices for defense, I'd love to create my own formations.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Rookie

bccards13's Arena

OVR: 2

My advice would be to get a good coverage linebacker and then move him to the SS position in the offseason. That way he can at least develop into a good safety by working in the position.

Also look for athletes in the offseason with good coverage and tackle ratings. Those guys can be the hybrid player you need in a system like that.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFB13
Very interesting. I'll have to try out some of those personnel groups. Right now I'm trying out recruiting some quicker outside linebackers for the strong safety spot, because I use them to blitz pretty often. I kinda wish we had more choices for defense, I'd love to create my own formations.
335 Okie would be a good formation to mess around with the personnel. Can make a 3-4 with a roving LB or large SS at the SS spot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 3

Honestly, awareness drops way too much and is too low to begin with in most players cases so I just give them back the awareness they had by editing the player.

Play who you want where you want. I might reduce their awr by 5 to 10 if they go to a different position like lb to s, but lb to de and vice versa, dt to de and vice versa, Te to Fb or Hb to fb, all those I just edit back.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 6

Havent seen it happen.
An effective formation is the 1-5-5.
You have 1 DT with 5 linebackers all near the line.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »