Home

best spread QB run playbook?

This is a discussion on best spread QB run playbook? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
Rookie

89OneHanded's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: best spread QB run playbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankssta
Mississippi State and Oregon.
This is the best one I've found so far, though Oregon's is good too.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89OneHanded
This is the best one I've found so far, though Oregon's is good too.
My custom book is basically these two put together. Neither one had all the plays/formations I wanted, but combined they are pretty much the perfect spread rushing look.

Once my team got a little better in the pass, I balanced it out with more passing formations.

My custom spread playbook is this (in order of how they show in the book, which is random):

• Shotgun 5WR HB (for the Motion Option and Motion Read with the HB moving from slot to the backfield with automotion)
  • Shotgun Bunch (great passing formation)
  • Shotgun Split Y Flex (Only 3 plays, Triple Option, Triple Option Pass which is very unique, and a PA cross)
  • Shotgun Y Trips HB Wk (Another good passing formation)
  • Shotgun Split (For the load option)
  • Shotgun Trio HB Wk (Has two great PA plays and Buck Sweep)
  • Shotgun Split Offset (One of the best formations in the game, very balanced)
  • Shotgun Spread Flex (My base formation)
  • Shotgun 5WR Trio (Actually my short yardage formation because I can run a draw or stick/spacing)
  • Shotgun Split Close (this formation has some amazing pass plays, including 3 with the HB automotioning to the slot. The two trail plays out of this are great)
  • Shotgun Gator Heavy (Goal Line)
  • Shotgun 4WR Trio
  • Shotgun 4WR Trio Str (Has the HB Dive play)
  • Shotgun Wing Offset
  • Shotgun Wing Trips Wk (I use this as a Wildcat formation, it is just like Wildcat Vulcan in Notre Dame or UAB. The Buck Sweep is glorious.
  • Shotgun Empty Trey (great pass plays)
  • Shotgun Wing Offset Wk (the Jet/Counter/PA Jet/Motion Option combo is great)
  • Shotgun Normal Flex Wing
  • Shotgun Slot F Wing (another good short yardage formation)
  • Pistol Full House (one of the best formations in the game)
  • Pistol Train
  • Pistol Strong Slot
  • Pistol Weak Slot
  • Pistol H Twins
  • Goal Line - Flexbone Tight (Navy is my base)
It is a HUGE playbook, but most of the formations have no more than 12 plays and it is pretty easy to navigate. I actually run a no huddle offense with this from time to time and flow between formations easily.

It is balanced enough so that you could go between heavy spread rushing to air raid very easily and adjust mid game. Most of the pass plays I put in the formations are the same, I put a ton of the trail plays in there (best new plays in the game) as well as a few run and shoot looks.

If you don't want a book that big, you could easily hack it down into just the passing aspect or just the rushing aspect.

Once the patch comes out, I will remake this book using Mississippi State as a base so that I can have Wishbone instead of Flexbone as a goal line. If they could ever make it so that you could reorder formations, I'd be even happier.

Haven't lost in the lobby since I paired this playbook together with Clemson (6 straight wins) and haven't lost in my online dynasty since I installed this offense after running Clemson's base playbook.

If you really want the best spread rushing book, you absolutely have to make it yourself. Mississippi State and Oregon will get you close, but not quite all the way.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

The new michigan playbook has only a few run plays for qb, I'd steer clear of it. I may actually check out Wake Forest play book as it seems interesting. Right now I am using UGA in my dynasty and the QB is more of a pocket passer but he does have some scrambling ability. I just recruited a QB who I am hoping will be able to take over for him when he is done (He is a sophmore) and he's strictly a pocket passer. I need to redo my playbook and this thread has given me lots of good ideas.

I need to get rid of my Ace Y-Trips form, the one I'm using there is only a HB power O-- what a waste.

I love Pistol for some reason but UGA (Who I used as my base since thats what school im using) didnt have many so I added a bunch.

My play calls are mostly run first but I do like to have some passing options and trick plays as well. I did notice Miss State seemed to have alot of great plays against me when we played earlier in the season.

I'm 7-3 in week 11 and just coming off a win v #6 AUB. Now I'm ranked and hoping my guys don't blow it at the end of the season!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
My custom book is basically these two put together. Neither one had all the plays/formations I wanted, but combined they are pretty much the perfect spread rushing look.

Once my team got a little better in the pass, I balanced it out with more passing formations.

My custom spread playbook is this (in order of how they show in the book, which is random):

• Shotgun 5WR HB (for the Motion Option and Motion Read with the HB moving from slot to the backfield with automotion)
  • Shotgun Split Y Flex (Only 3 plays, Triple Option, Triple Option Pass which is very unique, and a PA cross)
  • Shotgun 5WR Trio (Actually my short yardage formation because I can run a draw or stick/spacing)
  • Shotgun Split Close (this formation has some amazing pass plays, including 3 with the HB automotioning to the slot. The two trail plays out of this are great)
  • Shotgun 4WR Trio
  • Shotgun Wing Offset
  • Shotgun Wing Trips Wk (I use this as a Wildcat formation, it is just like Wildcat Vulcan in Notre Dame or UAB. The Buck Sweep is glorious.
  • Pistol Train
  • Pistol Strong Slot
  • Pistol Weak Slot
  • Pistol H Twins
It is a HUGE playbook, but most of the formations have no more than 12 plays and it is pretty easy to navigate. I actually run a no huddle offense with this from time to time and flow between formations easily.

It is balanced enough so that you could go between heavy spread rushing to air raid very easily and adjust mid game. Most of the pass plays I put in the formations are the same, I put a ton of the trail plays in there (best new plays in the game) as well as a few run and shoot looks.

If you don't want a book that big, you could easily hack it down into just the passing aspect or just the rushing aspect.

Once the patch comes out, I will remake this book using Mississippi State as a base so that I can have Wishbone instead of Flexbone as a goal line. If they could ever make it so that you could reorder formations, I'd be even happier.

Haven't lost in the lobby since I paired this playbook together with Clemson (6 straight wins) and haven't lost in my online dynasty since I installed this offense after running Clemson's base playbook.

If you really want the best spread rushing book, you absolutely have to make it yourself. Mississippi State and Oregon will get you close, but not quite all the way.
wow man thanks for taking the time u did with this post it was really helpful, i just got done making my own custom with oregon as the base and i used alot fo the formations and plays that you have listed, i base my play calling from my base play (read option) everything else i have builds off of that
Old 08-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #13
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc314
wow man thanks for taking the time u did with this post it was really helpful, i just got done making my own custom with oregon as the base and i used alot fo the formations and plays that you have listed, i base my play calling from my base play (read option) everything else i have builds off of that
As do I, it was tough to get everything I wanted in this book, since I believe it is 26 total formations (I have Wildcat Spread in there as well, not listed). So I was ruthless cutting plays from formations, if I knew it wasn't going to be used or wasn't going to correspond with another look in my playbook, I got rid of it. If it is a play that doesn't work consistently or I wasn't confident running it, I got rid of it. There are a ton of repeat/similar plays in every formation, so I made sure I got rid of all of them.

In my wing/flex formations, they are all set up the same. Speed Option, Dive, Read Option across the top; the two automotion runs with the wing FB/TE lead blocking and the HB Counter on the next level; any jet or motion options on the 3rd and then all my play action on the 4th. IF I have any straight non-PA passes, they are on the next levels. Verticals, trick plays and HB Slip Screens are always the very last level in every formation when I reorder plays.

In formations that are similar (4WR Trio and 4WR Trio Str for example), the pass plays I used in one, I took out of the other since it would be redundant. Since I play mostly user games in an Online Dynasty and Online with this book, I made sure to put in a ton of very unique passing looks that people aren't likely to have seen. Shotgun Bunch is the best for this, specifically the Trail play and a play that has all 3 bunched WR's run out routes at different levels.

The goal of my book was to combine the offenses of Oregon and Oklahoma State. Oregon's running look, Okie State's passing look. If there are certain plays you're interested in, I can help out there and let you know some of the plays I have and how they are organized.

One on the field tip I would have, especially vs humans, is using those automotion play action plays in the Wing/Flex formations and hot routing the HB to block. If you run the running plays out of that look enough, you can set up the pass. The play action part really slows the play down and nearly gets you sacked, so I will call those plays, hot route the HB to block and that kills the play action. The FB/TE still motions and it really fools humans.

Let me know if I can help any more.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

Easy call, Mississippi State and/or Oregon.
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Old 08-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 5

Mississippi State
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #16
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25

• Shotgun 4WR Trio
  • Shotgun Wing Offset
  • Pistol Train
  • Pistol Strong Slot
  • Pistol Weak Slot
  • Pistol H Twins

Wow! I guess great minds think alike as my CPB is very similar to this (at least with the formations). Of your formations, I have the following in my CPB (mine is based on MSU's so I have the wishbone GL package:
Shotgun Split Y Flex
Shotgun Y Trips HB Wk
Shotgun Split
Shotgun Trio HB Wk
Shotgun Split Offset
Shotgun Spread Flex
Shotgun Split Close
Shotgun Gator Heavy
Shotgun 4WR Trio
Shotgun 4WR Trio Str
Shotgun Wing Offset
Shotgun Wing Trips Wk
Shotgun Empty Trey
Shotgun Wing Offset Wk
Shotgun Normal Flex Wing
Shotgun Slot F Wing
Pistol Full House
Pistol Train
Pistol H Twins

I'm @ work so I don't know all of my other formations, but I also have:
Pistol Slot (nice jet sweep, WR motion option, and double screen as well as other goodies)
Shotgun empty quads (great passing formation with the quads look and has a HB in the slot who can automotion into the backfield for a nice read option)
Shotgun 5 WR something or other (I chose this one of the many 5 wides because it has 3 bunch plays hidden in it)
Wildcat (after the patch when I can create a pb from ND that isn't bugged then, as long as their formation audibles don't suck like Nebraska's, I'll use ND as a base to get their awesome wildcat)
wildcat spread

I have 4 pistols and I think 22 SGs so I'm missing a couple SGs.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »