Home

The game doesnt know the single most fundamental rule of football it seems..

This is a discussion on The game doesnt know the single most fundamental rule of football it seems.. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The game doesnt know the single most fundamental rule of football it seems..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls23
I dont' see this problem. I've had many varied results of replay challenges called by me AND the CPU. I also don't understand the problem of the OP. If the toe crossed the line, it's a TD and it was correctly upheld.

I think the system works better than it ever has.
You can have your whole body in the endzone but if the ball doesn't cross the plane it's not a touchdown.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 20
Re: The game doesnt know the single most fundamental rule of football it seems..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls23
I dont' see this problem. I've had many varied results of replay challenges called by me AND the CPU.
I'm just talking about the plain statistical fact that I've never had a call over-turned that I challenged. (To be clear, I don't mean those calls that are blatantly wrong and just BEGGING to be challenged; I mean those super-crucial plays that you SHOULD challenge because you don't need the timeout and the game hinges on the call. That's where I'm talking about being 0 for 15.)

Booth reviews go both ways and yield good variety, yeah, and in that sense it's all well and good. But the game-within-the-game of "Should I challenge this call?" goes right out the window when my success rate is 0%, and especially when it seems like the vast majority of "bad calls" go the booth automatically anyway.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

This replay system is broken period. The simple reason being because calls made are not based on what you see onscreen. Whether a sideline catch, touchdown, or anything else is ruled as good is based some internal data tracking the player's position with no regard for the finer details of things like foot or ball position. So making a challenge is an absolute crapshoot that takes all the fun out of the whole process.

To those guys saying the blown calls make it "realistic" I totally disagree. I have never seen a blown call in the game that wasn't so clearly wrong that no real life referee would ever get wrong in a replay. I think there is an inherent amount of chance the call goes against you anyway since you have to make a snap judgment on whether or not to call the challenge and you might be wrong.

It seems to me replay challenges worked fine in all previous versions that had it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
Pro

DreadedSteeler's Arena

OVR: 8

The most annoying part of replay reviews for me have been have been the amount of reviewed fumbles recovered by the offense in approximately the same spot. Unrealistic and a huge waste of time.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
Rookie

synjin's Arena

OVR: 1

Yeah, it's definitely broken. I had an incomplete pass into the back of the endzone overturned and made into a complete TD pass even though the replay shows the players entire foot down out of bounds at the point of possession. The very next game, I had a complete pass overturned into an incomplete pass when the replay clearly showed an awesome 1 handed catch with BOTH feet inbounds by a good 2 inches.

But as for the OP, yes, it's obvious the CPU was incorrect in that the replay focused on his feet in relation to the GL when it should have been focused on the location of the ball relative to the GL. That's a fail at knowing the rules of the game. It's not surprising either.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm surprised that everyone seems to be agreeing. I'm probably successful about 2 in 3 times with my challenges: fumbles, catch in bounds, spot of ball etc. Yes its not perfect but I don't think its anywhere near as bad as some people are making out.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #15
Pro

nyqua's Arena

OVR: 6

Yeah one time I got stopped at the one, and the tackle animation took me AWAY from the goal line. During the animation, randomly it popped up "TOUCHDOWN" when I was at like the 1.5 to 2 yard line and I was like "wtf they would not make the call that late especially with the ball and player moving away from the goal line".

It was challenged and overturned, at least they got that right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #16
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killga
If you think of the single most fundamental rule of football what would it be?

The way how a touchdown is scored has to be a strong candidate, right?

It is a touchdown if the ball crosses the plane, period!

Well not in NCAA 2012 apparently...

Ok so I play a game against Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl if I remember correctly (although it doesnt matter) where one of them Badgers catches a long bomb late in the game only to be brought down clearly short of the goal line by 2 of my defenders. Or so i thought as the refs promptly gave him the game-tying tochdown.

Not so fast, I think, and challenge the play. In the slow-motion replay its obvious that the football never got close to the plane, but lo and behold the right big toe of the receiver touches the goal line as he goes down. Since the camera focused on the toe this must be how the game determines if it is a touchdown or not. In any case the head ref quickly announced that the play on the field stands. To add insult to injury the commentators made fun of me challenging the play...

Not a biggie really, but in a game that does so many things right (and very right mostly) its funny to mind-boggling how they could mess up one of the most fundamental rules of football...

Anyone else noticed that?
You must have the game set on Horseshoes mode, where if it's close to the goal line, it's a TD.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »