Home

Holy Fundamentals Batman!

This is a discussion on Holy Fundamentals Batman! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Holy Fundamentals Batman!

Just played a game of football, if that's what you want to call it, Virginia vs Oklahoma State at Virginia. Now, playing as Virginia, I realized I had a bit of an uphill battle, but after re-watching some plays I realized just how unrealistic this game is. Now, I play football in highschool right now, so I might have more of thirst for realism than some of you, and if you are happy with the game the way it is right now, then that's good for you. Personally though, I can't stand some of some of the problems with this game.

First off, blocking, and not just for Wide Receivers. I called a HB Inside, out of of Weak I Twin TE. This play hits the A gap right between the Center and Left Guard. Where does the Fullback hit? The flippin' B gap. I don't expect a giant gaping hole to run through, but I atleast expect him to hit the right gap for pete's sake. Also, where is the lean and drive? Not once have I seen an offensive lineman dominate an opposing player the way they would in real life, instead what we see is defensive players getting constantly put on their back. Now, that happens, but not often, and sure as dope not simultaneously. I like what EA did with the big hits on the ball carrier, and I believe they should add those hits to blockers, especially those with high "impact blocking".

Secondly, passing. There is already a whole lotta chatter about this, so I'll keep it quick. Pass trajectory, more inaccuracies, and new animations for fighting for the ball are absolute necessities. /Another thing, get rid of that stupid twist of the abdomen catch, that never happens, instead it should be over the shoulder or a complete turn around of the body. Some new penalties would be nice too. Clipping is barely ever called in real life, what this game considers clipping is actually a block in the back, which is a completely different penalty./nitpick

Lastly, what's up with the super physic defense? If I've been running every down for the past eight plays and finally decide to call a Play Action pass, I should not see the defense come out in a nickel three man front. Also, if I audible to a dive I should not see the linebackers stalk up to the line! And I should definitely not get beat on that play by an equal team! (*cough* physics engine *cough*) That's not how you add difficulty, you add difficulty by programming actual football strategy and by creating tendencies for different coaches and players.

All in all, I'd just like to see more emphasis by the production team to create a realistic, enjoyable football experience rather than an arcade game with 3D grass and cows.

(Although I must admit, the grass is kinda cool.)
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »