Home

Breaking down OL/DL ratings

This is a discussion on Breaking down OL/DL ratings within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 9
Breaking down OL/DL ratings

Breaking down the OL/DL Ratings
I posted the question a few weeks ago asking what the OL/DL ratings meant. Since that went nowhere, I decided to just do the research myself.

I set it up as such:
All OL were set to 65 spd/agility and 80 accel. All blockings ratings (including Strength and Awareness) were set to 80.
All DL were given 75 for spd/agility and 80 for accel. All DL ratings (Including Str, Awr, Tackling, Hit power and PRC were set at 80).

I then edited each attribute 10 points each direction (Strength up to 90, then down to 70. Run Block at 90 and 70, Block Shed at 90 and 70...and so on).

I then ran 30 plays with each edited attribute. All from Ace, Y-trips against 4-3 Cov. 2 man. I ran 10 plays each of Stretch, Dive and Power-O. Then recorded the yardage and any notes from observation.

All plays were user-controlled, but I did not do any spins/jukes/trucks to attempt to break tackles. I also didn't bounce outside, reverse field or anything else. I simply ran to the designated hole, and made any appropriate cuts. All plays were all-american, default sliders, practice mode.

A 20 point swing in an individual ratings (Strength at 70 vs 90) should produce a noticeable difference, if that ratings really matters. Obviously with a fairly limited sample size (30 plays with each adjustment) this is not a definitive study. However, it should point us in the right direction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Breaking down OL/DL ratings

As a whole, Stretch averaged 5.3 yards and was the least effected by ratings adjustments.

Dive averaged 5.4 yards and was the most sensitive.

Power averaged 5.1.

All gains over 10 yards were scored as "10" for the averages. Once the ball-carrier breaks into the secondary, the OL ratings don't matter.

These are in order of most important to least important.

Ratings that had significant impact:
Run Block Strength
OL Strength

Ratings that had a moderate impact:
DL Athleticism (Acc/Agil/Spd) [these were tested as a group]
OL Athleticism (Acc/Agil/Spd) [tested as a group]
DL Strength
Tackle
Block Shedding
Poor Power/Finesse move (both ratings lowered to 70)
Power Move

Ratings that had minimal impact (Possibly placebo/chance)
Run Block
Play Recognition
Run Block Footwork
Finesse Move

Ratings that had no Observable impact:
Impact Blocking
OL Awareness
Old 08-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Rookie

General notes:

Strength, including the strength ratings and RBS, are far and away the most important. They even trigger a few new animations when there is a differential between the blocker and defender. Run Block strength created extra movement both vertical and lateral.

Overall athleticism mattered quite a bit, which surprised me. Lots of OL whiffs on LBs when they had the lowered athleticism. More athletic DL were able to disengage and tackle the ball carrier as he ran past them, which limited the big gains.

DL with poor block shedding resulted in several big plays, but increased block shedding did not result in more tackles for loss. A DL also needs a move (Power or Finesse). However, a higher move did not result in more shed blocks, it just let the DL disengage and make a tackle once the back gets even/past the blocker.

The tackle rating had a similar effect, it let DL disengage and make the tackle as a back is passing him, results in 3..4..5 yard tackles instead of 7 or 8 yarders.

Run block had a little boost, which I attribute to the OL getting to the LBs better (maybe coming off double teams faster?), it's biggest impact was on the stretch play.

Run Block footwork didn't look like it did anything, but the "Power" play with RBF set at 70 only averaged 3.3 yards. Could have been user-error or pure chance. Or it could be a slight effect. RBF at 70 scored higher on stretch than it did on 90, and it scored identical on Dive. My guess was that it didn't do anything.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
Pro

soonermagic88's Arena

OVR: 6

This is very interesting, now i know what to look for when recruiting....hmm
Old 08-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Rookie

MrPolo7's Arena

OVR: 0

This is awesome stuff thanks! Definitely will use this when recruiting....quick question though, do you know if the players size/weight makes any difference?!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

This is phenomenal!

My biggest problem with this game is the way it overpowers the pass rush of the LDT. If you can figure out which ratings combinations for the OG have the most significant impact for keeping LDTs at bay, I'll do a happy dance.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Rookie

dymndheartkilla's Arena

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven Draconian

Run Block footwork didn't look like it did anything, but the "Power" play with RBF set at 70 only averaged 3.3 yards. Could have been user-error or pure chance. Or it could be a slight effect. RBF at 70 scored higher on stretch than it did on 90, and it scored identical on Dive. My guess was that it didn't do anything.
Power plays require a pulling guard on the weak side. Perhaps the footwork rating links to effective pulling? Maybe try experiment with screen plays?

I don't know why they wouldn't just tell us what all the ratings do
Old 08-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

from what i remember reading gotmadskillz breakdown of ol vs dl attributes, impact blocking is very important and, both footwork attributes, espeically pass block footwork. He had stated that impact blocking helps the ol locate the right person to engage and deliver the proper block, and if you wanted your off. tackles to cover your backside, the higher the p. block footwork the better he is at arcing the defender around the qb which is what forms the pocket. Also, he said awarness is just as important as well. im not disagreeing with your findings, i'm just asking if what he had figured out for 2011 still applys to 2012. i would def. like to know if other attributes play a bigger role.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »