Home

Are the XBox 1 / PS2 Games Better?

This is a discussion on Are the XBox 1 / PS2 Games Better? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #17
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Are the XBox 1 / PS2 Games Better?

Overall, for me at least, the last-gen games felt more realistic than the current-gen games because of two MAJOR reasons.

1) Player movement is so much more realistic. Players have so much more weight to their movement. You really get a sense of momentum. You had to use the sprint button much more judiciously because your player could not make hard cuts while sprinting. Guys also leaned into their turns which helped them not look like they were skating around the field.

2) Pass speeds/trajectories were almost spot on. They had the passing game down back then. When you threw passes, you threw the ball before the receiver made his break. You could throw high bullets to whatever shoulder you wanted. The lob passes weren't all moon shots. There were more incompletions where the ball was just out of the receivers reach (it seems like nowadays the ball is either dead on the money or it misses the receiver by 5-10 yards). Also, receivers would go up and fight for the ball. Granted, this aspect was too overpowered in some versions of the game, but it's so refreshing to see your receiver have some aggressiveness.

There are things that the new games do better. The blocking AI is better (although the interactions still aren't very good) and the tackling is better in 12 with the "bowling pin" defenders being lessened. I remember some PS2 games where my running back would get stuck in a "stumble" tackle animation and barrel through 6-7 defenders before finally falling to the turf (after picking up an additional 5 yards). The superhuman LBs were also an issue at times on the PS2, but with the realistic passing trajectories and better lead passing system, it wasn't as noticeable. But overall, I enjoy playing the PS2 games much more than the PS3 versions. If you could put that gameplay with the current-gen's graphics, I'd be all set.

Last edited by Pokes404; 08-22-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Overall, for me at least, the last-gen games felt more realistic than the current-gen games because of two MAJOR reasons.

1) Player movement is so much more realistic. Players have so much more weight to their movement. You really get a sense of momentum. You had to use the sprint button much more judiciously because your player could not make hard cuts while sprinting. Guys also leaned into their turns which helped them not look like they were skating around the field.

2) Pass speeds/trajectories were almost spot on. They had the passing game down back then. When you threw passes, you threw the ball before the receiver made his break. You could throw high bullets to whatever shoulder you wanted. The lob passes weren't all moon shots. There were more incompletions where the ball was just out of the receivers reach (it seems like nowadays the ball is either dead on the money or it misses the receiver by 5-10 yards). Also, receivers would go up and fight for the ball. Granted, this aspect was too overpowered in some versions of the game, but it's so refreshing to see your receiver have some aggressiveness.

There are things that the new games do better. The blocking AI is better (although the interactions still aren't very good) and the tackling is better in 12 with the "bowling pin" defenders being lessened. I remember some PS2 games where my running back would get stuck in a "stumble" tackle animation and barrel through 6-7 defenders before finally falling to the turf (after picking up an additional 5 yards). The superhuman LBs were also an issue at times on the PS2, but with the realistic passing trajectories and better lead passing system, it wasn't as noticeable. But overall, I enjoy playing the PS2 games much more than the PS3 versions. If you could put that gameplay with the current-gen's graphics, I'd be all set.
Fully agree.
Player Movement was so much better. Nowadays, you dont feel/see players actually plant on cuts/drives. I would like to see CBs actually plant their foots to close on a ball. Unless you have the ball in your hands, you cant really feel like you are sprinting in Turbo mode. Your player gets faster, but it doesnt feel like you are sprinting. What would solve this is seeing players plant their foot and having seperate animations for jogging and sprinting/turbo. There is no difference in look when you player goes into Turbo more. Either Slow down the Non-Sprint run or Speed up the Sprint Runs. I would like to see more Leans on run. You dont see players who are Running as fast as they could do a Hard Cut, either they do a soft cut or slow down a little. It would cause a injury to be doing hard cuts when you are going 100%.
I would either like them to either redo Passing or add a Passing Modifier, where it adds more trajectory to a pass without it being a lob. Not evey pass is a Lob or Bullet. Having a Pass Modifier would reduce Super LB/DB. I think another problem with passing is that all QBs have the same exact Throw Style/Release. Having different Styles would differentiate QBs. Last Gen was better at it. I didnt really notice Super LB that much, when I noticed it most of the time it seemed appropriate.
I remember the RB "Stumble". I am not sure which game it was. but it didnt matter what difficultly sometimes when you held down RS, your player would lean forward and defense wouldnt be able to takle him until 5-6 Broken Tackles later.

Beside Graphics and not talking about gameplay, I think what made Last Gen games more fun(besides '12) was that it had more features that made it deeper. Drills, Mini-Games, Discipline,Momentum, spring Game. Campus Legend was deeper than RTG now. Sports Illustrated Mags. FCS Teams.
Mix Current Graphics, Coaching Carousel, Custom Playbooks, Photo in Replay, RTG HS season, Some Gameplay Animations with Last Gen(06-08); You would have a Elite game with incredible depth. It would be a game that you could skip the next 2-3 games and still have tons of fun
Old 08-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

they were much better and way more fun. All im wondering is why they went to next gen they started from scratch basically. If they had kept the base gameplay of the ps2/xbox gen and kept building it up this wouldnt be a question to which is better.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #20
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

I'll be the first to admit that I've been majorly disappointed with the football efforts on the next generation systems thus far. I was hoping that NCAA 12 might actually be what I've been looking for as far as a fun college football game on the PS3 or 360. Unfortunately it wasn't. There's still something to be desired for me when playing this game and I just don't have fun playing like I would expect to. I believe that it has a lot to do with the player movement/player weight. It just feels bad to me on the PS3 versions.

With that being said, Saturday I had an opportunity to play a game of NCAA 2004 for the PS2. Boy was I ever blown away. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that graphically the game was better or anything like that, but as far as game play and just having that fun factor to it, the game was amazing. I had forgotten just how great the game was. I've been playing a lot of NCAA 07 for the PS2 and hadn't really considered going back any further than that, even though I have all of the games since the series began on the PS2, excluding 2005 and 11. After my experience with 2004 on Saturday, I now know which game will be scratching my college football dynasty itch once the regular season starts.

I used WVU and played with default sliders on AA on the road at VT. I saw their QB have some nice gains on designed runs, scramble effectively under pressure, miss some open targets, and seem to run the option correctly for the most part. I also watched their HB carve up my defense to the tune of 120 yards rushing on 21 carries. Granted my defense wasn't up to par considering my long break from the game, however the overall game flow on both sides of the ball just felt right to me. Another thing that really got me was the atmosphere. The Hokie crowd seemed much more into the game than they do on the PS3 and those of you familiar with Blacksburg know how rowdy that crowd can be. I think I might have found my video game college football bliss for now. It's just sad that it has to come from an 8 year old PS2 game and not from NCAA 12 on the PS3.

Last edited by crques; 08-22-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 2

Answer...yes...Last gen is better in every way other than graphics. This gen is getting closer but it's not there...the best way I can describe it (for me) is the control over the player you're controlling is 10x better on last gen...I never feel like I'm having an impact on the outcome of a given play because the controls or so sluggish/laggy and unresponsive on next gen. Your man doesn't dive in the direction you want, it's next to impossible to change direction with the guy your controlling and make a play, it seems like you can't switch men and make a play on a passed ball because it either switches to the wrong man or the pass is traveling so fast that you dont' have time to react...these are little gameplay quirks that strip the fun out of playing the game. You don't really realize what you're missing until to play the old school games, then it's obvious on the first play.

I figure at the rate and direct that EA is going, it wil be probably another 6 years before they even get close to capturing the magic of last gen...and that's probably being optimistic. I thought it would take three years when I played the first Madden on "next gen" and it's roughly six years later and they still haven't done it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkyyyyy
they were much better and way more fun. All im wondering is why they went to next gen they started from scratch basically. If they had kept the base gameplay of the ps2/xbox gen and kept building it up this wouldnt be a question to which is better.
This is my big fear when the next consoles come in 2013-2015, Are we going to get stuck in the same rut as this gen, meaning new consoles come out and NCAA and Madden are bare bones to start with then 4-5 years later thay are on par with what we have now for features. I dont want them to start with basic features and then add features every year. This scares me reagarding the next set of new consoles.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
This is my big fear when the next consoles come in 2013-2015, Are we going to get stuck in the same rut as this gen, meaning new consoles come out and NCAA and Madden are bare bones to start with then 4-5 years later thay are on par with what we have now for features. I dont want them to start with basic features and then add features every year. This scares me reagarding the next set of new consoles.
That's the EA business model man...I guarentee they come out with stripped down versions of what they already have...then they'll sprinkle in all the old "new" features / repackage and resell again over the life span of the next next-gen....If they did it any other way I'd be shocked. In ten years we'll still be griping about DB coverage/AI, sticky blocks, money plays, ect...but the blades of grass and dredlocks will look amazing!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #24
Rookie

yoda43's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
That's the EA business model man...I guarentee they come out with stripped down versions of what they already have...then they'll sprinkle in all the old "new" features / repackage and resell again over the life span of the next next-gen....If they did it any other way I'd be shocked. In ten years we'll still be griping about DB coverage/AI, sticky blocks, money plays, ect...but the blades of grass and dredlocks will look amazing!
Couldnt agree more. EA will most likely strip the game down when the new consoles come out. As far as PS2/xbox 1 days....there is no doubt those were better games. More features, deeper gameplay. I played dynasty's 20 plus seasons in those days. No doubt the next gens are finally starting to catchup, but its sad that the next gens are just now getting their act together and in less than 2 years we will have new consoles. I think its fair to say that NCAA footbally on the PS3 and 360 has been a waste!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »