Home

Let's get to the bottom of player tendancies and attributes; WTF do they do?

This is a discussion on Let's get to the bottom of player tendancies and attributes; WTF do they do? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #41
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Let's get to the bottom of player tendancies and attributes; WTF do they do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
There are too many ratings. For example; Run blocking, Pass Blocking. That's enough for the OL. Pass block str/ftwk, run block str/ftwk, why?
Because it makes the game deeper. I love looking for specific guys that can fill my specific need. Is my receiver fast? Yes. Great, he can blow by defenders if he's running in a straight line. Does he have high acceleration and has the ability to run buy guys over a short distance? Does he have the agility to get in and out of his breaks quickly? Does he have high catching so that he can catch it when I throw it to him? Does he have high CIT which means I can throw it to him over the middle? If not, then I'd better keep him outside and away from hits. etc, etc.

Having a lot of ratings is a great way to make the players more unique and allow them to fill specific roles.

Why not just have 1 OVR rating and call it done instead?
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #42
Rookie

jarato's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortobc
Ok, so basically you are saying that tendencies effect what type of move or decision a player makes? So a pass rusher will do a finess move while a run stopper will do a power move? Or a scrambler will scramble while a pocket passer will throw the ball away? And the screwed up tendences make guys who are bad at certain attributes, use those bad attributes instead of the good attributes they have?
Exactly!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Let's get to the bottom of player tendancies and attributes; WTF do they do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarato
Exactly!!!!
Ok, great. So with this knowledge, that I believe is correct, I will update the tendencies on the 1st post to reflect which attributes you should look for while recruiting for that type of player.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #44
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
There are too many ratings. For example; Run blocking, Pass Blocking. That's enough for the OL. Pass block str/ftwk, run block str/ftwk, why?
Ok so if you don't include footwork ratings how would you seperate a guy with good footwork from bad footwork when pass blocking?

You do realize there are some offfensive linemen that have great footwork and can slide out to pick up blitzer's better than others

If you just provide a pass block and run block rating that doesn't specify anyone's footwork ability

There are finesse blockers who rely on agility more than brute strength and there are big strong guys like a Nate Newton or Larry Allen who relied on power/strength to run block

That is why you don't remove the two ratings because they work in different ways....again i think this is just another case of someone who is afraid to dive into the ratings and learn what they do...so instead he wants to get rid of them to make life easier for himself when recruiting or evaluating his Offensive Line

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

Last edited by Playmakers; 09-02-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:50 AM   #45
Rookie

Sydeburnz's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortobc
how would you explain SS tendencies of coverage vs hard hitter? Does the hard hitter SS not cover a WR? Does the coverage SS not hit a RB?
A cover back swats the ball, a hard hitter swats the receiver
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #46
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Ok so if you don't include footwork ratings how would you seperate a guy with good footwork from bad footwork when pass blocking?

You do realize there are some offfensive linemen that have great footwork and can slide out to pick up blitzer's better than others

If you just provide a pass block and run block rating that doesn't specify anyone's footwork ability

There are finesse blockers who rely on agility more than brute strength and there are big strong guys like a Nate Newton or Larry Allen who relied on power/strength to run block

That is why you don't remove the two ratings because they work in different ways....again i think this is just another case of someone who is afraid to dive into the ratings and learn what they do...so instead he wants to get rid of them to make life easier for himself when recruiting or evaluating his Offensive Line
Amen! Seeing contrasting line interactions in different systems is a beautiful thing IMO.
Still trying to figure out how to unlock more of the cut block animations for the service acadamies without making them totally beastly.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #47
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparrish
They do not make players better and specific things, it just puts a label on the player so the user has a better understanding of what that specific player excels in. If the CB is listed as a "hard hitter" it is probably because he has lower coverage skills, not fast, or not very good agility no matter what his tackle power is. If a LB is a a "coverage" LB as opposed to a "run stopper", it just means he is more athletic and has the ratings to better cover opposing players.
I tend to agree with this explanation

MLB 21 The Show
College Hoops 2K8
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
NHL 19
NCAA Football 14/11
NBA 2K16
Madden 20
Old 12-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 0

Finding this thread years down the road but I figured I should post what I have found in case somebody else like me stumbles on this thread...

While doing testing I found out (confirmed some things I had heard) that the ratings are representative of animations. For example Catching rating is a catch probability rating. However, CIT and SPC are animation based. So a 99 catch WR with 0 SPC or CIT does not have access to certain catch animations but still catches the ball almost every time. Going up for a 1 handed catch or holding onto the ball while a DB tries to strip it would be animations that are linked to SPC and CIT. In summary CTH is the easily the most important rating for catching.

BTK is sim based and has little to no effect on game play. Elusiveness and Trucking are the in game stats for breaking tackles. (Tested this with 0 Break Tackle and 99 ELU/TRK) Doesn't look like there is any advantage to TRK vs ELU it just changes the animation.

I have found in Dynasty mode rosters that there are hidden PBF/PBS and RBF/RBS ratings that can be viewed using DB editor. This leads me to believe that similar to BTK that PB and RB are sim stats and that these hidden stats are the in game ratings that control the animation reaction between power move and finesse move respectively. So a 99 Finesse move would be evenly matched against 99 PBF. So, PBS/RBS work against PMV and PBF/RBF work against FMV.

Everything from this point on is untested and is simply my educated opinion based on the info I have learned and somethings I have read.

I would imagine that Impact Block works against the Block Shed rating in the open field. I would imagine BSH has other functions but that open field block shedding is the main one and the animation is paired with IBL

I haven't tested this but it would make sense then that Press and Release ratings work similarly to the O-line/D-line interaction and it only affects the initial animation and then MCV/ZCV ratings take over.

Again I haven't tested this but I would go on to hypothesize that RTE is matched up against MCV and ZCV.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »