Home

Coaching Carousel screwed me.

This is a discussion on Coaching Carousel screwed me. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Coaching Carousel screwed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcavner
Yeah, that sucks. I don't like the interface there either. I just accepted the first time I got offer the renew, although I really wanted to see what else was out there and basically missed out on taking over Penn State for Paterno, I had a sneaking suspicion if I didn't accept terrible things would happen. Looks like I was right. You want to see what is available but run the risk of losing the job you do have. I think it is something EA should address for next year - put the renew and the new in the same place.
You can see what other teams offer you without declining, I've done it before and accepted the extension my team gave me originally.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGC
You can see what other teams offer you without declining, I've done it before and accepted the extension my team gave me originally.
Yeah, but in real life, if somebody had a great season... obviously not an unfreakingbelievable season like 40 rushing TD's and 80 passing... but still, a great year, that coach would be priority 1 for the team he was on.

We need to have the option of saying; 'I will, in all likelihood, be back, but I would also like to explore my options.' And the team, instead of turning around and instantly signing another coach will say; 'Alright. We have recruiting coming up and need to stabilize our staff, so we'll give you two weeks {or a month} to make up your mind.'

It sucks to have a great year... or an Oh-My-God-Do-You-Believe-This year like the OP had, and then lose your job.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

This same thing happened to me. As an OC, I was also in the Sun Belt with MTSU, and I wanted to see what other offers were out there, not really wanting to leave because I had a decent recruiting class and a pretty good year, going 11-2. I was looking forward to coming back and continuing to evolve the program from a spread offense to a more pro style, but when I looked to see about re-signing, they picked up the OC from Arkansas State (Ha) and left me out to dry. I ended up going to UVA where I'm loving that my QB actually has time to pass the ball!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #12
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
Yeah, but in real life, if somebody had a great season... obviously not an unfreakingbelievable season like 40 rushing TD's and 80 passing... but still, a great year, that coach would be priority 1 for the team he was on.

It sucks to have a great year... or an Oh-My-God-Do-You-Believe-This year like the OP had, and then lose your job.
He was offered a contract and declined it.

To the OP.. that's part of looking elsewhere. The team offered you a contract extension, but you wanted to test the waters. Turns out, the waters didn't treat you well and the team you left didn't want you back.

Seems pretty realistic to me.

Watch me play video games
Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #13
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23

Think of it like your job is a girlfriend. You leave her to see if someone better is out there, you can't be upset if she refuses to take you back no matter how good you think you were.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3

To the OP.. that's part of looking elsewhere. The team offered you a contract extension, but you wanted to test the waters. Turns out, the waters didn't treat you well and the team you left didn't want you back.

What he said
Old 09-02-2011, 02:48 AM   #15
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3

I'll give you an example of what you said not being the case. Mike Leach, at Texas Tech, after the 2008 season... their highest ranking ever. They were, at one point, # 2 in the country. At the end of the year his deal was up. Of course he wanted to test the waters... if nothing else, to see what kind of money was being offered to give him leverage at a school that was absolutely nothing before he took over.

He tested the waters, then re-signed w/ Tech. Of course, the powers that be at Tech had it in for him and planned, in early 2009, to fire him before 31 December 2009 so that they wouldn't have to pay his bonus of $500,000.00 and they used Craig ###-wipe James and his cry-baby son to help their cause, but the point is... coaches test the waters all the time.

Rarely... and I mean rarely, does a team just turn their back on that coach when that coach has been successful. If the OP were at Texas, I could see it. As arrogant as that school is they would just assume they could always find another coach. But Arkansas State???

No. It's not realistic. Not in the least.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death

No. It's not realistic. Not in the least.
It's as realistic as 40/80/3000.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »