Home

Great and good things about this game.....

This is a discussion on Great and good things about this game..... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Attracts dust better than my dust collector. Also makes a cool coaster.

It's hard, b/c everytime I think of something, I say, "well it'd be great, except for this bug." before the patch and named rosters, game played great against the CPU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Last edited by TheShizNo1; 09-07-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Great and good things about this game.....

Here's what I like/love about this game:
  • The new improved defense. A lot of people complain about throwing too many INTs, but this hasn't been much of an issue for me. I love how much more difficult the game is.
  • I love my running game. I'm a run-first spread option guy and I'm really loving pretty much the entire running game except for speed options (because my fast QBs are too slow, but this will be fixed) and how the CBs instantly break on the DB (even before the actual handoff) on runs.
  • I really, really, really love the CPU running game. It takes much less drastic sliders to get them to run the ball well. The only improvement I'd like see here is better running ability for spread teams and flex teams. They don't have much success against me, but teams like aOSU, Wisconsin, MSU, and PSU (especially when they've got dominating O-lines) can be extremely difficult to slow down on offense (and I love that).
  • I'm loving the coaching carousel. I don't use it personally (I started as HC of Michigan and plan to stay there forever and ever) but I'm loving seeing the different styles spreading across the country. Some nice examples I've seen is the Miss. St. pb being taken to Texas where they've got the recruiting tools to bring in the horses to make that offense really nasty. Minnesota adopting the flexbone (this is mainly because I play them annually and it's a new style for me to face).
  • I'm loving the custom conference changes (most especially the ability to change them annually). In 2015 I now have 12 team conferences for every BCS conference and I've got midmajor powers BSU, Nevada, Miami (OH), TCU, and UCF all in BCS conferences.
  • I love the gameplay in general. It takes much less drastic sliders to get a great playing game on AA than it did in years past. Also, I think it plays well enough right now that if the patch breaks the game, I could play it like it is now until NCAA '13.
  • I'm really, really loving the custom playbooks. My 1st cpb isn't bugged and I use it all the time, but most (all?) of the others I've created is bugged. When the patch drops and they fix the cpb bugs, I'll love it even more. In years past I always had to settle on a pb. Now, I've got about 25 formations and 375 (or whatever the max is) plays to pick and choose from and it's beyond awesome.
I'm sure there's more, but that's all I could think of right now.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Here's what I like/love about this game:
  • The new improved defense. A lot of people complain about throwing too many INTs, but this hasn't been much of an issue for me. I love how much more difficult the game is.
  • I love my running game. I'm a run-first spread option guy and I'm really loving pretty much the entire running game except for speed options (because my fast QBs are too slow, but this will be fixed) and how the CBs instantly break on the DB (even before the actual handoff) on runs.
  • I really, really, really love the CPU running game. It takes much less drastic sliders to get them to run the ball well. The only improvement I'd like see here is better running ability for spread teams and flex teams. They don't have much success against me, but teams like aOSU, Wisconsin, MSU, and PSU (especially when they've got dominating O-lines) can be extremely difficult to slow down on offense (and I love that).
  • I'm loving the coaching carousel. I don't use it personally (I started as HC of Michigan and plan to stay there forever and ever) but I'm loving seeing the different styles spreading across the country. Some nice examples I've seen is the Miss. St. pb being taken to Texas where they've got the recruiting tools to bring in the horses to make that offense really nasty. Minnesota adopting the flexbone (this is mainly because I play them annually and it's a new style for me to face).
  • I'm loving the custom conference changes (most especially the ability to change them annually). In 2015 I now have 12 team conferences for every BCS conference and I've got midmajor powers BSU, Nevada, Miami (OH), TCU, and UCF all in BCS conferences.
  • I love the gameplay in general. It takes much less drastic sliders to get a great playing game on AA than it did in years past. Also, I think it plays well enough right now that if the patch breaks the game, I could play it like it is now until NCAA '13.
  • I'm really, really loving the custom playbooks. My 1st cpb isn't bugged and I use it all the time, but most (all?) of the others I've created is bugged. When the patch drops and they fix the cpb bugs, I'll love it even more. In years past I always had to settle on a pb. Now, I've got about 25 formations and 375 (or whatever the max is) plays to pick and choose from and it's beyond awesome.
I'm sure there's more, but that's all I could think of right now.

Cool. Great input!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Pro

billysims's Arena

OVR: 9

Among my tops are:
Custom playbooks
Coach mode & associated camera angle
Graphics
More custom song slots

Just feels like a better game to me than 11.

Sure there are issues that are being patched apparently, but overall Im having fun. I havent started a dynasty yet (online or offline).

Also, I havent had alot of the freezing issues mentioned (I think I had one freeze, seriously, knock wood), and with slider help coach mode has been fun for me. I also do my own all-time rosters with heavy ratings tweaks (laborious) which has helped me avoid alot of what I read in the forums (ie: psychic DBs, superman LBs, robo QBs, etc). So in games Ive "coached" with my edited rosters, been haivng a ton of fun: very few blowouts, random results (ie: one game Texas blows out Texas A&M @ A&M, the next game A&M wins fairly close), realistic passing (maybe a little low on completion %, but not awful), good running games. I have no major beef, but thats just me.

I kinda gauge it like this: during the day, do I look forward to playing it when I get home from work? The answer has been yes this year, more than any NCAA in the past that I can recall.

I think maybe to expect it to play great out of the box is unrealistic in recent history of the game. Feels like every year you have to wait for patches and to tweak things to your liking. I have no huge problem with that personally.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Attracts dust better than my dust collector. Also makes a cool coaster.

It's hard, b/c everytime I think of something, I say, "well it'd be great, except for this bug." before the patch and named rosters, game played great against the CPU.
I haven't played or even picked up the game in over a month.....i can't believe it but thats the cold hard truth.

I'm usually big on doing rosters and sliders for the game but the bugs and the terrible AI logic for DB's have killed the game for me as of now.

Like many others i'm waiting for the patch to save this years game.....until then i'll play NCAA 11 with edited rosters and Madden 12. In fact Madden 12 has really been good enough that i could possibly even skip playing NCAA 12.

I'm not saying Madden is perfect but i have fallen in love with the new Player Traits/DPP.....it is absolutely amazing what you can do with Classic rosters now in Madden. Really get the players to play to their true style and there is no bugs that alter their playing styles unlike NCAA 12

Seems like EA gets worse and worse with NCAA 12 when it comes to bugs and things they don't catch until after they sale the game to us and then we have to waite 1-2 months for them to patch things

That is poor business practice IMO....

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 09-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

I skipped NCAA 11 last year for PS3 as I was just starting a new job but I picked up NCAA 12 so a few of the things I list as good may have been in last year's version that I was not aware of.

Good
I like how they finally allowed you to return a punt. In previous versions of the game it seemed whenever you caught the ball, regardless of opponent, they were right on top of you. Now guys block on special teams and it gives you a chance to bust a long return every once in a while.

People have touched on the improved running game and since I play exclusively in my offline Cincinnati dynasty I still notice new blocking and running animations. In my last game for example, 3rd and short and they were coming off the edges and my run was up the middle. I get the first down, my center breaks free, spots the safety 5 yards ahead and gets enough of a piece of him to let me run past for a long TD run breaking the game open. I've also noticed pulling guards blocking to the right side (if I'm behind the guard on the right hash he blocks the defender towards the middle so I can hit the edge and get free).

QB's shaking off sacks. We've all seen this happen in real college football and I notice that my current starter at QB, a redshirt senior, who is about 235lbs. can withstand some hits on occasion and get off a pass where my former QB's who were tall and lanky, didn't do this much. It's small, but it adds a good level of realism.

Weather effects. I just played USF in Tampa and it was raining and I called a play on 3rd down in a dual TE set where I thought one would break free. He did, but when I hit the button to pass it to him, on his cut, he slipped and I got sacked. I want to see weather affect the game like it would in real life.

Great
I think it's great in recruiting that kickers and fullbacks are generally in the 1 star range with some 2 and 3 star exceptions.

It's also great when the CPU finds a hole in my defense (I'm particularly susceptible to HB screens and draw plays) and smarter teams will exploit these holes against me.

Last, I think it's great that if I show patience and step up in the pocket, I can find my #1 or #2 WR on an in or corner route in a zone defense. I felt like in past years it was way too easy to find slot receivers wide open while it was too hard to consistently get the ball to my top wideouts.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Zone Defense, and the Custom Playbook IDEA.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm in the minority in that I don't think this game is THAT bad...not unplayable at least.

There are some things I'd like to have fixed, but it is...a video game. They aren't going to get it perfect, technology just isn't that far along yet.

Some things I like...

Graphics are great, animations are realistic for the most part. I would like to see more attention paid to size differences in tackling situations (like when QBs break off a DE on a scramble, a smaller RB breaks a tackle from a larger D-lineman).

I would like to at least have an option of allowing bad snaps/QB-C exchanges, maybe a rating for that for Centers. However, for this to be mandatory, would be difficult to do, and really frustrating for the person that it keeps happening to.

I like that it is possible to block field goals, but very difficult. You have to be in a sprint with full momentum on the snap to get to it.

Online dynasty is a great concept, the potential for competition is unparallelled in sports games imo, at least for fans of the sport. It's almost there, but it's relatively new, so it's difficult to get just right I'm sure. I've had no major issues with it, however, I haven't finished one season yet due to it being so difficult to find consistent, sim users.

I like how you can save/upload highlights and write stories up in OL dynasty (if you can find someone who will do it).

Dreadlocks, though they are a little exaggerated, wish you could adjust the dreads (length mainly) independent from faces.

Basically, the game keeps getting better in most areas from year to year. It's not perfect, and won't be for some time probably, especially with the amount of teams/players compared to madden (and thus the cpu memory required to handle that), and with NCAA being a wussy b**** about certain things as far as presentation goes in order to maintain the sports "integrity", (crowd rushing field, celebrations, etc). Penalties, bad snaps, and other extraneous things that happen in real life are not really feasible for this game because in online play especially, it is a source of frustration that limits the level playing field.

All we can do is try to make suggestions for future games. I'm a college football fan, not a NFL fan, so I'm gonna play this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »