Home

O line and backfield blocking assignments

This is a discussion on O line and backfield blocking assignments within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
O line and backfield blocking assignments

Totally broken this year. O linemen totally unaware of whom to block, senseless double teams, lead blockers out of the back field spinning around and blocking towards the center when a LB or DB is right smack dab in front of them. Down field blocking the same ignorance.

The option this year is COMPLETELY useless. WRs leaving CBs untouched and D linemen and LBs coming through the line UNTOUCHED within 1 sec of the snap is just beyond believable.

D linemen shedding blocks in all positions (dives, stretches, counter, misdirections, etc) just as soon as your RB approaches and getting smashed for following your two or three blockers (out of six or seven) that you thought had set up correctly.

All above is true in all formations (under center, pistol, shotgun) and against all D forms (man, zone, combo).

The run game has been totally removed from this game (except for certain goon plays out of the Maryland I, Jumbo Heavy Ace, etc) and it's s total shame. I used to love running a ground O in '11 and just cannot play with the moronic blocking assignments in '12.

Who else is dealing with this? I can work around most the other issues in the game (super LBs, etc), but when you can't get the most fundamental aspect of the game (running the ball) correct, who's gonna stick with this franchise? How could there be such a drastic change from last year's assignment programming?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Rookie

Ball_Bag's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: O line and backfield blocking assignments

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel.msre

The option this year is COMPLETELY useless.
For the umpteenth time, it's not just THIS year. It was useless LAST year. There were no improvenments at all in this area and I don't care if EA claims it is being fixed in the upcoming patch. I'd be willing to bet the option (and a lot of other issues you mentioned) still won't be fixed.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball_Bag
For the umpteenth time, it's not just THIS year. It was useless LAST year. There were no improvenments at all in this area and I don't care if EA claims it is being fixed in the upcoming patch. I'd be willing to bet the option (and a lot of other issues you mentioned) still won't be fixed.
I actually run the option fine but I DEFINITELY agree with everything you have said besides it being useless. The blocking is horrid nd will continue to be that way until football people are involved at the top of developement.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Rookie

Ball_Bag's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
I actually run the option fine but I DEFINITELY agree with everything you have said besides it being useless. The blocking is horrid nd will continue to be that way until football people are involved at the top of developement.
I forgot to mention that I play coach mode only. Nonetheless I've seen this complained about last year as well from conventional players. Many plays in Option & Spread offenses along with dual threat QBs are pretty mush useless in the last two installments of NCAA unless you are an ace thumb jockey.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Rookie

LoganSf's Arena

Running to me feels great. I run with auto-sprint turned off, so when you hit the sprint trigger, the blockers disengage and move upfield to block for you. It works well in my opinion. I can get the read-option to work enough to say it is not ineffective. You arent going to get massive gains every time from it, but it is not broken. I use Matt10's heisman sliders btw, but with little tweeks to actually make the run game slightly more difficult for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

I agree with Logan, the run game is great for me this year. Who are you playing with? And where are you trying to run the ball?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 14

I didn't have a problem with running the option this year. I found it very valuable in the red zone and I was able to use the wildcat effectively outside of the redzone as long as I used those plays less than twice a quarter. I played on Heismen using SECelites sliders. I agree with you to a certain extent on the other issues though. Football video games would be outstanding if EA had some competition.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball_Bag
.... Many plays in Option & Spread offenses along with dual threat QBs are pretty mush useless in the last two installments of NCAA unless you are an ace thumb jockey.

I disagree totally. I used Wisc in 11 and stomped all over my opponents with a sick ground pound offense. I even beat the top ranked (Yung 24 Go Hard) and others a number of times with it. My run game in 11 is ridiculous. and I DO consider myself an ace thumb jockey after the snap and a superb recognizer defensive formations. I can hit you with an audible and split your line, LB's, and (with correct blocking) your DBs for a game control run O that will drive 90% of the pass heavy players nuts. This is just no longer true in 12.

I ran load and power options and flipped runs when needed with wild success. Point is, I know what I'm doing in the run game and I'm getting beat up this year by noobs who hang on the Power O and pitch, etc...

It's obvious to me that MUCH has changed in the run game between 11 and 12.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »