Home

Differentiating Quarterbacks

This is a discussion on Differentiating Quarterbacks within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18
Differentiating Quarterbacks

The only thing that makes these quarterbacks different in the game is THP and THA. I can have a freshman quarterback come in and thread the needle on every throw as long as he has even decent THP and THA. Also the awarness rating means nothing when you are actually controlling the player.

EA should impliment some type of experience rating. Its effects don't even have to be complicated, just make it so if a QB comes in the game with low experience maybe a few routes of the playart you see on the field is different than what the play is actually supposed to be (to simulate a freshman qb forgetting the play in the heat of the moment or not being in touch with his recievers) OR even just that with a low experience rating the QB will get rattled easy and overthrow easy throws REGARDLESS of his THA rating.

This small addition will bring SO MUCH to the game in terms of gameplay and strategy. Can't be too hard to impliment and even if it does take up time, its worth it. You literally see this happen every week.

EDIT: Just reading over this and thinking about it, the playart idea can add even more to the game without actually "adding" more than it already would. That honestly made no sense lol but what I mean by this is for example your starting QB goes down and you put in your Freshman QB with a low experience rating. You pick a play and when you come to the line you pull up the playart and say wait a second, I coulda sworn that in route was supposed to be an out route, get confused, call an unnecessary timeout. This forces you to pay attention to the play and know your playbook.

Again it adds to the game without actually having to literally "add" extra junk. The unnecessary timeout is something you see happen with young qbs who dont know the play. I hope that made some sense.

Last edited by UMhester04; 09-07-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Differentiating Quarterbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
The only thing that makes these quarterbacks different in the game is THP and THA. I can have a freshman quarterback come in and thread the needle on every throw as long as he has even decent THP and THA. Also the awarness rating means nothing when you are actually controlling the player.

EA needs to impliment some type of experience rating. Its effects don't even have to be complicated, just make it so if a QB comes in the game with low experience maybe a few routes of the playart you see on the field is different than what the play is actually supposed to be (to simulate a freshman qb forgetting the play in the heat of the moment or not being in touch with his recievers) OR even just that with a low experience rating the QB will get rattled easy and overthrow easy throws REGARDLESS of his THA rating.

This small addition will bring SO MUCH to the game in terms of gameplay and strategy. Can't be too hard to impliment and even if it does take up time, its worth it. You literally see this happen every week.
They used to have composure in previous gen - seemed to work pretty well too.

FWIW, I'd like to see different throwing motions and a release rating that would govern the speed with which the QB gets the ball out after you hit the pass button (think quick-release Andrew Luck/Matt Stafford v. wind-up Tim Tebow)

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Old 09-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

They tried this and it failed miserably. You ever hear of the vision cone?

Aside from that, I do have suspicions that awr affects pass rush somehow. In my Terps dynasty O'Brien has very good awareness and even with a subpar line I am in the bottom half of number of sacks taken. However anytime my backup is in due to injury I take a lot of sacks and it just seems as if my line does not pickup blitzes quite as well.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
They tried this and it failed miserably. You ever hear of the vision cone?

Aside from that, I do have suspicions that awr affects pass rush somehow. In my Terps dynasty O'Brien has very good awareness and even with a subpar line I am in the bottom half of number of sacks taken. However anytime my backup is in due to injury I take a lot of sacks and it just seems as if my line does not pickup blitzes quite as well.

Yeah I remember that but that was pretty complex. Much easier to just add a few overthrows ya know. It seems like it wouldnt be a big deal but it really would add a ton of strategy.

Do I risk it and put in my freshman qb with great physical tools or put in that junior qb who isnt very good but has had some experience and might not make a mistake the freshman qb would?

None of this is possible with NCAA now. No strategy what-so-ever.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20

Play a game in coach mode, and the AWR of the QB comes into play bigtime.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeOut464
They used to have composure in previous gen - seemed to work pretty well too.

FWIW, I'd like to see different throwing motions and a release rating that would govern the speed with which the QB gets the ball out after you hit the pass button (think quick-release Andrew Luck/Matt Stafford v. wind-up Tim Tebow)

They do this in Madden and it actually steered me away from using a qb like cutler who has a long windup. STRATEGY.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiehm
Play a game in coach mode, and the AWR of the QB comes into play bigtime.

True, but im talking about user qb's.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
Do I risk it and put in my freshman qb with great physical tools or put in that junior qb who isnt very good but has had some experience and might not make a mistake the freshman qb would?

None of this is possible with NCAA now. No strategy what-so-ever.
I like this A LOT honestly. Having that dilemma would make the strategy part that much better. I have a player progression model that, if mated with this, would put a lot of strategy into play.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »