Home

How to stop running offense from human opponent? (and recruiting question)

This is a discussion on How to stop running offense from human opponent? (and recruiting question) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 10
How to stop running offense from human opponent? (and recruiting question)

How do you stop a human player from running down your throat? Im set to play my friend in online dynasty bowl game. His RB is #1 in the nation, and he rushes 80-90 percent of the time. My plan is to shut his RB down, and make him beat me by passing. But I may need some help to accomplish this.

Im fairly new to the game and the R3 button brings up a variety of options, most of which I dont know what to do with. Is there any hints you can suggest in terms of play calling and adjusting my defense at the line of scrimmage. It would be much appreciated!

My 2nd question is regarding recruitment and scholarships. Say I dont use up 3 scholarships one year. Would those 3 transfer over to the next year or is there a set number of scholarships available at the start of every year regardless of how many players there are on my roster?

I apologize if any of these topics have been discussed heavily, I did a quick search and browse but no similar questions caught my eye.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: How to stop running offense from human opponent? (and recruiting question)

Ok, if you're new to the game then you will probably get burned by him. This isn't intended to be offensive, just factual.

If he rushes 90% of the time, he's probably a cheeser. That means he runs 2 or 3 unstoppable plays all the time, and it takes a little skill and a lot of luck to stop. The best chance you have it to hit him with a 3-3-5 defensive playbook. It shows the realism of the game when the 3-3-5 is what you need to stop the run, but whatever. Against the run, you don't want to call any zone coverages unless its 3rd and long. Go with a lot of man blitzes with the 3-3-5. If he's running predominantly to one side of the field, call plays that send a lot of defensive players running at that side. Also make sure you spotlight the RB every play.

It won't always work. You'll probably still give up 21+. But its better than 40. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
MVP

stewart#28's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21
Ok, if you're new to the game then you will probably get burned by him. This isn't intended to be offensive, just factual.

If he rushes 90% of the time, he's probably a cheeser. That means he runs 2 or 3 unstoppable plays all the time, and it takes a little skill and a lot of luck to stop. The best chance you have it to hit him with a 3-3-5 defensive playbook. It shows the realism of the game when the 3-3-5 is what you need to stop the run, but whatever. Against the run, you don't want to call any zone coverages unless its 3rd and long. Go with a lot of man blitzes with the 3-3-5. If he's running predominantly to one side of the field, call plays that send a lot of defensive players running at that side. Also make sure you spotlight the RB every play.

It won't always work. You'll probably still give up 21+. But its better than 40. Good luck.
how do you spotlight the back? and will that work for both running plays or screen play to the back?
12' 12-4
Old 09-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart#28
how do you spotlight the back? and will that work for both running plays or screen play to the back?
Same way you spotlight any other receiver. You just press that guys button when you are guessing pass/run.

As to the OPs recruiting question, you always get 25 schollys a year, no matter how many openings you have coming up. They don't roll over.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
Rookie

Thanks alot for your quick replies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Rookie

Yeah, if dude runs that much then he can't use any more than 6 plays. So, pay attention to his formations. It shouldn't be that hard. That way you know what direction to crash your dline. Play a cover one or just bring your strong safety down. What position do you control on defense? If you learn (since you're new) to play with a lb and shoot one of the gaps between center and guard, you should fair well. What are the scores between you two, usually?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Rookie

Havent played him yet. Ive been practising run defense and getting comfortable using defensive hot route. In practise mode vs my own offense I have been running a 44, having my linebackers blitzing, then hot route into a CB blitz and have the safety press up to cover the WR. This seemed to cover the outside run (from one side atleast) and anything up the middle.

Thanks for the tip to switch to my LB and shoot the gap, ill definitely practise that tonight.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

The issue with the 4-4 is that its hit or miss. Either you stuff him or give up 10+.

A couple other tips. If you feel he's running to the outside but aren't sure which side, spread your D-line and LB's. This covers both from the outside run. Also, show blitz on third/fourth and short to get the defenders closer to the ball carrier.

If nothing works and you're getting torn up, then its time to hax. Go to Adjustments, set Strip Ball and Big Hits to aggressive. Then run a Cover 3 zone every play. You'll give up a lot of easy 6 and 8 yarders, but you won't give up the big one. It will take him a lot of plays to get a TD. Statistically, the Adjustment modifiers will get you a fumble or 2 eventually.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »