Home

Cheese or No Cheese?

This is a discussion on Cheese or No Cheese? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Cheese?
Cheese 56 44.09%
No Cheese 71 55.91%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2011, 03:40 AM   #9
Banned

Ceteris Paribus's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Cheese or No Cheese?

Just lame. The fake punt run is way too successful in the game.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:56 AM   #10
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
No earthly reason? It clinched a national title.

He would have stopped it, but he had his guy set to strip so I ran him over. I played a gamble and won. He played a gamble and lost.
A gamble is taking a chance on something with a greater chance of failing than succeeding. Fake punts against any defense are one of the highest percentage 'Down & Short' plays in the game. I have never once been stopped on a fake punt run, and I'm guessing neither have you, which is why you felt it was a good idea.

Do not come on here looking for validation of your cowardly play call and then get defensive when someone takes the other side. You reasoning is garbage. If you were so dead set on gaining that one and a half yard for all the Tostitos/Mardi Gras beads, then line up and go for it, slam it down his throat and the trophy is yours. I can fully get behind that. Instead, in a 7-6 game where defense clearly dominated, you were too scared to go for it legitimately, so you took the easy way out with a fake punt run.

Even Les Miles would think you're a clown. But hey, congrats on that title boss, it'll look super on your mythical trophy shelf.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:03 AM   #11
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_XaVo7o3_l
Hey News flash this was not "CHEESE". Cheese is using anything exploiting the flaws of the game in order to be successful.
You mean like the inability of any of the default punt defenses to reliably watch for and stop a fake? Including AND ESPECIALLY punt safe. What do you want the guy to do, come out in a base defense on the off chance some clown wants to cheese his way to a win?

Then what? The OP calls a timeout, calls an actual punt and punts it over the head of the base defense, wasting 10 or more seconds of clock and probably 20 yards of field position as the ball rolls?

The fact that users are able to call fakes in such a situation is as much an indictment on EA as it is the cowards who use it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #12
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

Cheese? No.

Unrealistic and Unsportsmanlike? Yes.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
That's a) not cheese and b) takes some HUGE stones to pull off!!!! U earned that win buddy. I wouldn't have been mad if that happened against me. I mighta slow clapped.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:26 AM   #14
Rookie

NothingTrivial's Arena

OVR: 2

Gutsy call. Cheese is questionable, because as stated the CPU D 85% of the time will not stop that. I played hs and college ball, and have coached hs ball the past 5 seasons. Ive seen or been a part of fake punts ran while trailing an leading late in the game in that situation, although not pinned back that far (most of the time 15 or so yards farther out)....and in real life in a situation where you would see a punt 999/1000 times, such as this....its going to work 80-85% of the time. My team in college practiced fake punts just for reasons like this. Ive seen a few people say it was 7-6 why not just punt and stop again, and this may not have been the case. The game could have been filled with long drives, turnovers, a few missed field goals....could have easily been 7-6 with lots of offense. If this was the case, the by all means if you think you can get the 1st down go for it.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #15
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
Fake punts against any defense are one of the highest percentage 'Down & Short' plays in the game. I have never once been stopped on a fake punt run, and I'm guessing neither have you, which is why you felt it was a good idea.
I was nearly stopped on this one, and the only reason I wasn't is because of his decision to go for strips over tackles. He was overcommitting to the return, pulling a guy off the line and running him deep to block, giving me another advantage at the line. You ask if he should play base defense on every 4th down on the off chance of a punt? No, just when the chance of a win is on the line. Or he could have flopped a lineman from one side to the upback side to crash it. The fake punt run is not unstoppable by any means.

Quote:
Do not come on here looking for validation of your cowardly play call and then get defensive when someone takes the other side. You reasoning is garbage. If you were so dead set on gaining that one and a half yard for all the Tostitos/Mardi Gras beads, then line up and go for it, slam it down his throat and the trophy is yours. I can fully get behind that. Instead, in a 7-6 game where defense clearly dominated, you were too scared to go for it legitimately, so you took the easy way out with a fake punt run.
Lordy, get over yourself. I didn't come on here for validation, I came on here to determine if this is something that needs to be discussed in future leagues.

Last edited by IlluminatusUIUC; 09-23-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
Rookie

NothingTrivial's Arena

OVR: 2

I wouldnt worry about it man. Alot of people decide that if you cant stop it, its cheese. I saw one guy say something about the game being powered for the offense, its that way in real life as well. If you go look at the numbers for fake punts on 4th & 2 or less, the percentage of it converting for a 1st down are somewhere in the low 80's. So is it cheese to run a fake punt in real life? Now if you were running a fake punt on every other 4th down, id say it was cheese. Taking advantage of him putting an extra man downfield to block...and to secure the game....NOT CHEESE AT ALL!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »