Home

Ratings Discussion: Insight from EA?

This is a discussion on Ratings Discussion: Insight from EA? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #25
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Well that even makes things even further confusing. You got a "supposed" message from a developer that says

Run block rating = Only sim engine uses
Pass block rating = Only sim engine uses

RBF, RBS, PBF, PBS = Only IN-Game uses

If that is the case, how many people look at a high run block rating and pass block rating and think their guy is good at blocking based on this rating which means NOTHING for them in game.

This further proves we need some insight into what ratings do what, why, and how. Also WHY would they even have ratings for "sim" engine only, yet have nothing to signify that??

I am not calling you a liar or anything. Maybe this message really exists from a developer but what I am saying is this is all very confusing about what does what, what ratings battle other ratings, what is sim engine ratings, what is in game ratings, and on and on and on!!!
I've heard that pass blocking and run blocking mean nothing in he game. Just the 4 strength and footwork ratings.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Ratings Discussion: Insight from EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
So is elusiveness v tackle another matchup?
Exactly!!!

So it would be

Elusiveness vs Tackle vs strength vs agility vs hit power vs injury

Another words there complex calculations being evaluated each and every play between each and every player. But my question is why does it take rocket science to tell if this Left Guard is better than this Left Guard. Because overall ratings are clearly not the clear cut way to tell which is better than which. Hell guys get big overall jumps just by awareness increasing a small amount. So you would think awareness is a HUGE factor, but why does awareness matter to my kicker????? Wouldn't the 50 rated kicker with a 85 kick power and 80 accuracy be better than a 80 rated kicker with a 80 kick power and 81 accuracy???
Old 09-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
So is elusiveness v tackle another matchup?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure ELU is the starting value for how effective the players Spin and Juke moves will be.

It gets pretty complicated. There's main ratings and others that brach off of it.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #28
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

The funny part about the meaningless ratings for some positions is that someone actually sat there and came up with a number to give to Utah State's back up Right Tackle for his Pass Accuracy category
Old 09-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #29
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
No I didn't put the RBS, RBF, PBS, and PBF because none of us know how important those ratings are and what difference they make. But you know what pass block and run block rating mean.
Actually, those are some of the few ratings that a dev has actually explained on forums what they do.
As per a dev:
PB/RB - used for sims
RBS/PBS - used to see whether or not a defensive power move will succeed
RBF/PBS - used to see whether or not a defensive finesse move will succeed

IE: high PWV will own low RBS/PBS and vice versa
high Finnesse move will own low RBF/PBF and vice versa.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 09-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Actually, those are some of the few ratings that a dev has actually explained on forums what they do.
As per a dev:
PB/RB - used for sims
RBS/PBS - used to see whether or not a defensive power move will succeed
RBF/PBS - used to see whether or not a defensive finesse move will succeed

IE: high PWV will own low RBS/PBS and vice versa
high Finnesse move will own low RBF/PBF and vice versa.
This, I remember when this came out.

Also I remember a dev saying something about the elu vs btk but cannot remember for sure what they do differently.

I will see if I can find the blog with it. (EDIT: FOUND IT
Quote:
These are Ian Cummings comments from a while back on what the ratings do:

"-Elusiveness: Replacement for "break tackle" rating when choosing what type of broken tackle animations to play. Also modifies the window and success of breaking "elusive style" tackles (jukes & spins) with our new "break out of tackles" feature for 09.*

- Trucking: Replacement for "break tackle" rating when choosing what type of broken tackle animations to play. Also modifies the window and success of breaking "power style" tackles (stiff arm & truck) with our new "break out of tackles" feature for 09."
Now this was for Madden, but we can assume it translate over to NCAA.

So with that:

Elusiveness = Juke and Spin Window Modifiers (basically, the higher the BKT, the greater the chance of you breaking a tackle with either a JUK or SPN move)

Break Tackle = Stiff Arm and Truck Window Modifiers (basically, the higher the BKT, the greater the chance of you breaking a tackle with either a SFA or TRK move)

Some more from Ian:

Quote:
areas in which AWR is used:

How quickly a defender can realize the ball is in the air to try and make a play

Chance to jump offsides or false start

Whether a defender tries to scoop-n-score or falls on a fumble in the correct situations

How quickly receivers get into “get open” mode after a route (and where they go)

Chance the WR recognizes the coverage & picks the “correct” option on an option route

How quickly OL can recognize and pick up new blitzing defenders

Chance for QB to predict a blitz and assign a hot route

When a QB will choose to tuck and run (scramble) if nothing is open

Chance a defender will try to strip the ball on a ballcarrier with bad carrying ratings

Chance a defender will attempt to get his hands up to tip a ball while engaged
Quote:
Ratings Breakdown?

- Elusiveness: Replacement for "break tackle" rating when choosing what type of broken tackle animations to play. Also modifies the window and success of breaking "elusive style" tackles (jukes & spins) with our new "break out of tackles" feature for 09.*

- Trucking: Replacement for "break tackle" rating when choosing what type of broken tackle animations to play. Also modifies the window and success of breaking "power style" tackles (stiff arm & truck) with our new "break out of tackles" feature for 09.

- Pass Block Strength: Replacement for general "Pass Block" rating when choosing to win or lose while pass blocking. PB Strength determines how well the player performs when the defender is performing power moves against him.*

- Pass Block Footwork: Replacement for general "Pass Block" rating when choosing to win or lose while pass blocking. PB Footwork determines how well the player performs when the defender is performing finesse moves against him. Scales the speed of initial moves at the snap, as well as the distance of kickout pass block initial moves.*

- Run Block Strength: Replacement for general "Run Block" rating when choosing to win or lose while run blocking. RB Strength determines how well they can succeed in locking up a defender while run blocking.*

- Run Block Footwork: Replacement for general "Run Block" rating when choosing to win or lose while run blocking. RB Footwork determines how well they can succeed in pushing a defender while run blocking. Also scales the speed of initial moves.*

- Block Shedding: Defensive rating on how well defenders can "shed" blocks when in the open field (i.e. in pursuit of the ballcarrier)

- Impact Blocking: Offensive rating on how well blockers can pancake (or block normally) when in the open field - mainly special teams, turnover returns, etc

Last edited by chia51; 09-28-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Nice find Chia! Like always our very own detective on OS. This is what I was looking for insight into!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #32
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
- Impact Blocking: Offensive rating on how well blockers can pancake (or block normally) when in the open field - mainly special teams, turnover returns, etc
Hmmmm.... I never thought about the implications of this rating on special teams before. Most players who are on special teams have low IBK by default and that could explain part of the terrible special teams blocking that we see. The real problem is still the terrible monotonous play design of both special teams coverage and return blocking, but I wonder what this would unlock if special teamers had higher IBK ratings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »