Home

Ratings Discussion: Insight from EA?

This is a discussion on Ratings Discussion: Insight from EA? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:34 AM   #33
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Ratings Discussion: Insight from EA

Chia51 thanks for that info man! You definitely are an asset to this forum and community. Good stuff and straight from the horse's mouth...the former horse that is lol.

I was told by Madskillz that the run block/pass block slider was used in sims, so this was not news to me, but it was good to see all of the areas of the game that were affected by higher awareness, which is pretty much confirmation to what I have been told by Skillz and what I have seen for myself. Smarter players equal a better playing game that is for certain. I am working on a re-rated roster with PurplePower and the benefits of raising the awareness for all of the players shows major dividends.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #34
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

I just wanted to point this one out

Quote:
areas in which AWR is used:

How quickly a defender can realize the ball is in the air to try and make a play
All the defenders must have 99 awareness because linebackers react to passes over the middle with lighting fast reactions. Cornerbacks jump route after route after route!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Hmmmm.... I never thought about the implications of this rating on special teams before. Most players who are on special teams have low IBK by default and that could explain part of the terrible special teams blocking that we see. The real problem is still the terrible monotonous play design of both special teams coverage and return blocking, but I wonder what this would unlock if special teamers had higher IBK ratings.
Yes most players on the game have a 50 or < IBK, I would say up to 90% of the players. The only players who are usually above that are FB, TE and OL, DL.

With knowing this, I have tried many different players with high IBK and have not noticed that much of a difference on returns. IMHO. There could be more, probably RBS, RBF as when they lock up with an offensive player, something has to determine the outcome.

Also for ST, its IBK vs. BSH (as block shed is used in the open field) so that may have something to do with it as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 3

This explains pancake blocks, RG Evans for Oklahoma get pancakes because his IBL is 92. So you need at least 90 IBL for significant pancakes. I will rework my blocking sliders to these findings.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Interesting to see this get a bump. Man I wish we could get some insight into these ratings. Because this current system is CRAP, I think MIT is going to have a program dedicated just to EA football ratings. I plan on majoring in it
Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #38
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

It is just something about this game that doesn't set right with me. It never did and with even more tests, the level of stuff I am figuring out is just mind blowing.

I am pretty soon we all might have seen a play where your stud offensive lineman get blown up by a defensive lineman. At 1st you think the following:

That offensive lineman must be terrible

OR

That DL player must be a beast.

Then you look at their ratings and say WHAT ?? Looking and going strictly by their ratings, there is no way he should have gotten destroyed so quickly and easily by a player with inferior ratings.

EA Game Changer Madscientist even been running tests on his own for the past week or so. He put the strength rating at 0 for every offensive lineman. And that team was STILL able to rush for over 250 yards on All American.

I went a step further. I put the following at ZERO

Strength
Pass Block
Run Block
Impact Block
Run Block Strength
Run Block Footwork
Pass Block Strength
Pass Block Footwork

To my surprise and disbelief.......I and the CPU was still able to run the ball pretty effectively on DEFAULT ALL AMERICAN. Furthermore, offensive lineman not only blocked, but still PANCAKED defensive linemen and still generated a push off the line on running plays for a good 2 yards.

On passing plays, the guards and center didn't seem to be effected at all by having a ZERO in all those ratings. Only people that were effected were the outside tackles. But more often then not, the passing game wasn't effected or hampered as much. They were still able to move the ball up and down the field passing and running. The only QBs that were really effected were pocket passers. Balance and scramblers just simply avoided the sack and fired the ball 20 yards down the field as though it was business as usual.

This reminds me of special teams. Don't matter who you have on the line, nobody will ever get through up the middle on FGs or punt attempts. It as though their is some invisible force field.

Route running......has no effect at all in NCAA 12 on a dry field. WRs still get open at the same rate, still run the route the exact same way even if the rating is at Zero or 100. The only thing route running effect is whether or not a player slips during snow or rain games.

Agility.......don't have enough of effect on motion at all in NCAA 12. Put it at 99, put it at 0....Turn rates are still tight. The amount of slow down from changing directions, pretty much don't exist.

Catching......even at ZERO for DBs, they still catch the same amount of interceptions.

Man/Zone Coverage.....only semi works. Even at zero for both, the DBs still stay with WRs pretty damn good. You would think with it low, they should be totally lost out there and be completely faked out on complicated route patterns. But nope, they still stay with WRs step for step and still under cut WRs to make the interception.

Jump......The game defies logic here too. At ZERO I still see defensive lineman jumping sky high to bat down passes. Also weight don't seem to matter at all when it comes to jumping. How is humanly possible a 330 pound player can jump as high as a 174 pound player ?

Weight needs to matter in everything. I am tired of seeing obese players jumping like they Jordan. Tired of obese players not getting tired either. Which brings me to the next rating: Stamina

Stamina don't seem to matter for defense and don't seem to matter for offensive linemen either. I have played 10 minute quarters with it at ZERO and none of my offensive line or anybody on defense got RED or and maybe 1 or 2 got YELLOW for ONE play then the following play went back to normal.

I never seen a game like NCAA 12 that totally defies player ratings. Completely makes playing dynasty pointless. Don't even bother recruiting for studs because you can just get a 1 star player for your entire team and still won't have any problems rushing the ball or passing the ball or getting turn overs with your defense.

This needs to stop and completely change for NCAA 13. Heading into December, the NCAA dev team should be heading into Alpha stage for NCAA 13.

ALL THE RATINGS need to work and have a direct impact on how players behave and move. Instead this year, ratings only seem to be a place holder for making the player tendencies change and people just have a generic AI behavior based off that tendency.

Weight needs to matter in EVERYTHING. Currently weight only matters in tackling, even then it doesn't work half the time.

Locomotion needs to be in everything as well. Currently locomotion is only present in FREE movement. It isn't used in tackling, WR/DB interaction or OL/DL interaction.

And is just isn't the ratings and sliders that are wonky in NCAA 12, it is the animations as well. It is as though none of the animations in NCAA 12 fully play out, all of them seem to have been cut short.

Have you ever looked at the players feet and legs when they run in NCAA 12 compared to how it looked in NCAA 11 ? It looks funny in NCAA 12 as though they cut the 40 yard dash mocap animation in half.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1

I find it hard to believe that any rating is completely meaningless. I don't think EA sits around coming up with "fluff" ratings that do not factor into the engine's algorithms at all. It seems probable that in any given interactions that the algorithm is only using certain ratings for that specific interactions though.

I am mildly intrigued by how the game works, but I don't think it is possible to reverse engineer the NCAA physics engine. It would be more plausible to reverse engineer the sim engine probably and try to find correlations between statistics and ratings on a macro level, but that would still be difficult and prone to data contamination across positions (teammates impact on individual performance).

At the end of the day, sometimes a small, weak guy will catch a big guy off balance and knock him over. It shouldn't happen often, but it should happen on occasion. I don't know that there is a sound way to collect enough gameplay data to "prove" what ratings impact outcomes how much. I have to give EA the benefit of the doubt that all of the ratings play into the algorithms in their own situations.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 38

The offensive line ratings have been questionable in every EA football games, along with the interactions between them. It's for a big change to the way the trenches work.... It's the most important thing in football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »