Home

Passing Offense/Defense Tips and Strategy

This is a discussion on Passing Offense/Defense Tips and Strategy within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Passing Offense/Defense Tips and Strategy

To premise this post, I play in an online dynasty as Ole Miss with friends using All-American difficulty, 8 min quarters and default sliders.

DEFENSE
I have been having trouble playing defense in NCAA Football 12. I played a friend last night in our online dynasty and was lit up by his passing game. He is SDSU none the less. I was able to intercept his passes a few times but he would always use the same over the middle routes and they would work. Here's what happened:

He used the San Diego State playbook and would line up in a weak formation with 2 receivers, 1 tightend, 1 fullback, and 1 halfback. He would then audible to either a 5 wide set or motion the fullback to line up as a slot receiver. After hiking the ball his fullback or halfback were open in the middle of the field or crossing the field every time. I used all sorts of formations from the Multiple D playbook using man coverage, cover 2 and cover 3. I even tossed in a blitzing linebacker or corner to try and pressure him. Sadly though he would run every play by audibling from that weak formation to a passing play. If the play failed on 1st down he ran it on 2nd down, if it failed again he ran it again. He never had to punt because out of 3 downs it worked at least once. My linebackers, corners and safeties didn't do much but watch his guys catch pass after pass. I would like to shut this down on a consistent basis. I can stop the run but not the pass and it frustrates me to no end.

OFFENSE
I cannot pass at all in this game. I used nearly every running play in the Stanford playbook to rack up nearly 300 rushing yards split between 2 halfbacks and sometimes my fullback on short yardage plays. This strategy worked great in the first half but then was useless in the 2nd half when he figured out which defenses stop the run and after the computer AI got used to seeing every possible running play and formation. I was able to run play action with success once or twice and I scored a passing touchdown with my number 1 receiver on a deep streak when his defense was focused on the run with a single safety and his corner covering the flat zone. Besides those few plays I could not hit any open receivers. It felt as though his defenders knew the routes or would make a superman play by leaping in front of the ball. This was stressful because I tried all sorts of different plays and routes with no success. I even threw 4 interceptions and had a ton of swats by his line or the defender. It made me angry because he was passing with good success all game and my defense looked lost. His defense looked aware and determined to get to the ball. I would like to find a few plays that I can get comfortable with and then build off from there. I need to learn to walk before I can run.

FINAL THOUGHTS
This game showed me that my knowledge and confidence from last years game (2011) mean nothing. I am weak against the pass and weak using the pass. Last year, I was comfortable passing and running while knowing I could stop a few drives here and there to win by a score or two on most occasions. I wasnt the best but I knew that I always had a shot at winning. In this year's 2012 game I struggle against the CPU on All-American and get blown out by opponents I would beat 2 out of 3 times in last year's game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Passing Offense/Defense Tips and Strategy

Defense:

Use formation subs. Go to your Dime Normal formation and switch the MLB with the first DB that you find as you scroll down. A lot of people have success against Dime because they can find one of their receivers matched up with that one linebacker. This takes that LB away and puts in another DB.

Since he's audibling into 5 wide, you'll need to make an audible that sends 6 guys at the QB with man coverage. If he has 5 WR's, he only had 5 lineman in pass protection, so 6 will outnumber them and give you a free runner. You still have 5 DB's to cover the pass, one DB for every receiver. Now call press coverage, so that it will take a little bit of time before he can find an open guy. Hopefully, your free runner will get there first.

If he stops audibling into a 5 wide pass and runs it, then just call more heavy blitzes to counteract.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thank you BlastX21. I'll give that a shot.

The forum seems slow since I posted this topic. Can we get a discussion going about defending the pass and offensive passing strategy. I can't be the only one who needs help in these two areas. If I am then, wow, have I lost a lot of game since last years NCAA football 11. Those of you who are playing solid games or putting up consistent games in these areas can help us out. Even if you struggled before and are now getting the hang of the passing game and passing defense, sound off with your tips to help those like me open up our game.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

If it's always the same WR, coming open, what I like to do is to take the opposite side DE and audible into a hook zone. Right about the time the crossing player gets separation , he runs into the DE's zone which can lead to a swat or pick. At very least it forces him to wait for his guy to clear the DE, which buys you an extra second for the remaining pass rush to get there.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

Offense

You don't seem to be having any specific problems, just troubles passing in general. So I'll just give a few random tips.

1. Out route. They're really good this year. The ideal situation you want is the slot receiver matched up against a linebacker. You'll get this matchup almost every time as long as you only have 3 WR's on the field. You'll pretty much have success with it regardless of what type of man coverage the LB is playing.

2. WR screen. Specifically, you want to use the screen that has the WR running towards the QB when you throw it, as opposed to the one where they're standing still waiting for the ball to be delivered. This is a good play regardless of the coverage because the WR already has momentum when he catches the ball, and the blocking develops pretty well. If they're in man coverage, the momentum gives you a chance to outrun the defender covering him before he can make the tackle.

3. Streak route for outside receivers. You specifically want to go for the streak when you see the corner really close to the WR pre-snap, which indicates that he's probably going for press coverage. More times than not, he won't press the WR long enough for you to get sacked and the WR will end up blowing by him and getting open deep. Make sure you throw the lob pass for optimum completion %.

4. Short curl. Specifically, you want this for your slot receiver or TE. There isn't a hot route available for this, you just have to look for plays that have somebody running 3 yards than turning around for the short curl. This is a really high % ball because it almost always is open against zone and works against man as long as the receiver isn't in press coverage. But don't rush the throw. Throw it only once the receiver is completely turned around, otherwise you'll get more drops than normal. This is optimal for 3rd and short.

5. Curl for outside receiver. This has a pretty good completion % as long as the defender isn't in press. Again, press coverage is indicated by the defender being really close to him pre-snap.

6. HB streak. Audible your RB to run the streak route. Its usually open for the short pass because he's right in the middle of the field. What makes it a good play though, is that the RB doesn't lose any momentum once he catches the ball on this play, whereas receivers will (sometimes unrealistically) slow down after making the catch and have to regain their top speed.

7. Routes to avoid: Post route, corner route, wheel route, fade route, any double-move, swing route. The first 5 almost never get open. The swing route tends to get eaten up for a very short gain, even if it appears like defenders are far away.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Passing Tip: Play in one button mode it flashes the open receiver
Old 10-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Pro

Pielet's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21
Offense

4. Short curl. Specifically, you want this for your slot receiver or TE. There isn't a hot route available for this, you just have to look for plays that have somebody running 3 yards than turning around for the short curl. This is a really high % ball because it almost always is open against zone and works against man as long as the receiver isn't in press coverage. But don't rush the throw. Throw it only once the receiver is completely turned around, otherwise you'll get more drops than normal. This is optimal for 3rd and short.
Lately it seems to me CPU DBs completely jump this and stick routes since the patch if you wait till they turn around, meanwhile my DBs stand there and allow the CPU WR to make the catch. Been frustrating as I love TE stick routes.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pielet
Lately it seems to me CPU DBs completely jump this and stick routes since the patch if you wait till they turn around, meanwhile my DBs stand there and allow the CPU WR to make the catch. Been frustrating as I love TE stick routes.
Are you only looking for it if the DB isn't indicating press coverage? They will shut it down if they play it tight.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »