Home

Recruiting young talent

This is a discussion on Recruiting young talent within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Recruiting young talent

How do I find out what year a recruit is in high school?

I created two QB prospects for my first recruiting class.

The first one was a senior (Troy Gunner), the second a freshman (Chase Brooklyn, or something like that).
However, once I started recruiting them, I couldn't see where it says how old they are, or what recruiting class they are.

Right now I have soft verbals from both of them. Will they both be available for me next year, or will the senior be available, and I'll have to wait on the freshman? I'm hoping that's the case. I want Brooklyn to take over once Gunner graduates.

Now I'm also nervous that the senior is going to be a transfer or JUCO player or something. I hope not, because I created a bunch of players that are seniors – assuming that meant high school.

I'm hoping I have to wait for Brooklyn because I promised them both a lot of playing time.

Are all recruits on my board seniors in high school, or have I been recruiting lots of kids at different ages?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Recruiting young talent

Sounds like Gunner is going to be a senior transfer and the other guy will be an incoming freshman...
Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
All Star

BGarrett7's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBean
Now I'm also nervous that the senior is going to be a transfer or JUCO player or something.
This.

The year your choose for them is their collegiate year, not high school.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Rookie

Son-of-a-B!tch
Dammit!

I'm going to have a gun-slinger QB, a tall athletic TE, a huge fast DT, fast athletic DE, and tall fast receiver for 1 year?!
Dammit!!!!

I was so happy with my recruiting class. I thought I'd have a lot of young cornerstone players. No wonder a lot of them took my scholarship offer so quickly. Three star guys with speed and size, that I thought I'd have time to coach up. DAMMIT!

What idiot at EA thought it would be a good idea to let people create recruits without saying (This means their year in college)???!!!! dammit!
Most colleges recruit kids that are sophomores and juniors in high school. I've never heard of any coach only looking at seniors.

DAMMIT!!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
All Star

BGarrett7's Arena

OVR: 16

How new are you to the game? High school players have always been incoming freshmen and anyone coming in as another class was a JUCO transfer. Perhaps you should've put a little thought into this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGarrett7
How new are you to the game? High school players have always been incoming freshmen and anyone coming in as another class was a JUCO transfer. Perhaps you should've put a little thought into this.
Normally a Madden guy. This is the first time I've ever played NCAA.
I put thought into it, problem is, I thought I was recruiting high school kids and not out recruiting College kids.

oh well. I'm coaching Kansas, it would seem odd for them to get two 5 star QBs, at least this way it makes since that I got a 5 star local kid, and a 5 star transfer, and a bunch of 3 star transfers..... it's just too bad that they're not junior transfers. Maybe I'll red shirt them, so I have some time to catch up with freshmen recruits.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBean
Normally a Madden guy. This is the first time I've ever played NCAA.
I put thought into it, problem is, I thought I was recruiting high school kids and not out recruiting College kids.

oh well. I'm coaching Kansas, it would seem odd for them to get two 5 star QBs, at least this way it makes since that I got a 5 star local kid, and a 5 star transfer, and a bunch of 3 star transfers..... it's just too bad that they're not junior transfers. Maybe I'll red shirt them, so I have some time to catch up with freshmen recruits.
There is a strategy to recruiting these players. The more you play NCAA you'll figure out what players to go for in recruiting and the tricks to fielding the best possible team. There is a benefit to these JUCO (junior college) players. They may come in and only play for a year or two but they join your team with better ratings then their star level. Example, a 3 star freshman will have a lower overall rating than a 3 star senior JUCO player. The reasoning is that the Senior will only have one year to play while the freshman will have time to progress in ratings. So say you're in need of a stater at a specific position because your current starter is a senior, you don't have a backup who's good enough to take over the next season and you're unable to recruit a 5 star or 4 star at that position. You'll then want to go for a JUCO player who can start right away which will give you another year to recruit a quality player or have that 3 star freshman redshirt and start in year 2 or 3. JUCOs are useful to plug holes for a season or two while you build your program.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Rookie

I haven't finished season one yet, but once I do, can I redshirt recruits that I've promissed not to redshirt?

I have two stud QBs one is a JUCO senior, the other an incoming freshman.
I recruited the hell out of them both, (not thinking I'd get both) and promised them solid playing time.

What do I do now?
Can I redshirt the Freshman? I don't want him to transfer. Could that happen if I redshirt him? Should I play them both and start whoever is better, then put the other in at junk time?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »