Home

Absence of juke move takes away fun for me

This is a discussion on Absence of juke move takes away fun for me within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Pro

sparkdawg777's Arena

OVR: 1
Absence of juke move takes away fun for me

Now I know that the juke move was probably a little over powered in the past but the fact that the spin move is more effective than any other move is just plain unrealistic. Anyone who watches college football knows that a great RB makes somebody miss almost every play. Now since the juke move is completely gone I feel every RB is the same except for speed. The main complaint is I can't use a defender's momentum against him if he over runs me. Now I like the way the "shimmy shake" works but it only seems to work if the defender is still 4 or 5 yards away. I'm still having fun with this game but I don't enjoy the run game as much because I feel like I can't use the right stick at all. Again I think the reason was probably because EA felt it was over powered but I really hope they are working on a less powerful animation and not thinking that it is fine without it.

Does anyone else agree with me? I'm curious to hear others' thoughts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Absence of juke move takes away fun for me

I do agree with you. I've had some success with jukes, usually going outside with it. I never have success juking back inside. The one thing I would recommend is simply cutting back inside hard. Unlike last year where the tacklers just sucked into you, you can cut back inside against the CPU and they will over run the play from time to time. That is more authentic to real life in a way because most scat back types just make a hard cut rather than a "juke".

I really, really miss the small jukes that had been in the game 2 or 3 years ago. Just a very light cut juke, very smooth and got you changing direction really easily without slowing you down or being too powerful.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Rookie

TheCapstone32's Arena

OVR: 3

I think it made the game more realistic but I wish some backs with higher ratings and smaller size would be able to juke like they can in real life. Hopefully next year we will see some better moves.

I am sure the developers walk a fine line between making it TOO much and making it too little.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Yeah the problem is defenders don't fall for it nearly enough like they should. There is no slow down in their reaction when they coming to tackle you. In real life if you coming towards somebody at full speed, it is human natural reaction to react to every move a player does, which mean you will pause and shift your weight when you see the other person shift their weight.

In the game, the defender don't pause or get thrown off balance. IMO defenders in this game have perfect balance majority of the time. It as though locomotion and momentum don't effect them as the same level it effects the offense.

They need to make a player's weight matter way more in this game. Somebody that is 245 pounds shouldn't be able to change directions at the same speed as a 190 pound scat back.

Defenders can change directions on a dime in this game. For the past 3 years now they said they took it out, but it is still in the game.

They said suction tackling was gone, but it is still there when the CPU is doing the tackle. We all seen it when a defender throws a forearm shot and it seens the runner flying backwards. That is unrealistc.

In real life you can't tackle somebody with a one arm forearm shot that is running full speed UNLESS you follow through with the tackle driving through them.

In the game the defender will throw a forearm shot and stop, with no follow through, heck half the time they aren't even running when they do it, but yet that causes a RB who is running full speed ahead to go flying backwards ?

Same thing with double hit tackles that they boasted about. You very rarely see double hit tackles or gang tackles in this game because 90% of the tackles are forearm shots and the runner instantly fall to the ground.

There need to be way more struggle animation that plays out during tackles. The way EA has it is just WRONG, they have it as 2 people trying to move forward in a STRAIGHT LINE against each other.

In real life players don't continual push against each other in a straight line. They change their angles to the northwest, northeast when trying to get out of a tackle, not just push north north north.

They also need to add some player drag animations too. A 250 pound FB should be dragging smaller defenders. No way should 1 person be able to bring down a player much bigger then themselves.

The way they do stiff arms should be changed too. For some reason this year in NCAA 12 and Madden 12, RBs only do stiff arms when a person is already wrapped around them and they simply pushing the defender down off their waist.

In real life, runners ALSO do stiff arms BEFORE contact is even made. Since the goal of a stiff arm is to PUSH AWAY the defender. Plus for some reason runners slow down when they do a stiff arm, it shouldn't be this way.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Seems like most of the popular sliders address this
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok
Seems like most of the popular sliders address this
... how?

These complaints are based on momentum. That is not slider based, that is game engine based.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
... how?

These complaints are based on momentum. That is not slider based, that is game engine based.
Doesn't Threshold address momentum? At 0 threshold you can manually juke while the actual juke button doesnt slow you down anymore than the spin. After that RB Ability and Tackling can tweak things further so jukes which cause more contact are more likely to break tackles than spins which are more all or nothing.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

This is a momentum and defense reaction issue that is written in the code. Hopefully this will be addressed in 13.

I think what EA had in mind was to make the juke less 'money' this year. While it's true that the quickest, most agile ball carriers are capable of making a lot of defenders miss with frequency, most backs use jukes in order to slip a tackle by the slightest of margins. This usually results in missed arm tackles by the D rather than ankle bracking misses. The game captures this well IMO. I have some success when I chain a couple of jukes in quick succession because this year one juke is almost never enough for a complete miss. I don't mind the juke as it is but would like to see it tuned to be a bit more effective. IMO in years past it was too easy to juke the whole D in some cases with any type of back

The main problem I have with this game as has been stated many times in many threads is the lack of shiftiness from AI controlled ball carriers.

Also to speak on Skillz comment on the cheesy forearm shots I agree with what you said. Lowering the Tackle slider to 15 or 20 gives the most beautiful representation of the tackle engine in this game. You see less of those cheesy big hits and a ton more gang tackles and a realistic amount of missed arm tackles. The problem is when you lower the Tackle slider to 15-20 (Best value IMO) and the RBA is anywhere close to 50 you get almost no fumbles. I mean literally a stretch of games where any ball carrier besides the QB will not fumble at all. It's a compromise that we shouldn't need to make because a Fumble slider would allow for low value Tackle settings without the drawbacks.

Last edited by Sundown2600; 10-21-2011 at 03:15 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »