Home

Gameplay AI issues that need to be tuned with video proof

This is a discussion on Gameplay AI issues that need to be tuned with video proof within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #57
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Gameplay AI issues that need to be tuned with video proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Yeah they need to sit down and just play coach mode with a big notebook and just write down every thing that doesn't work correctly and what the CPU AI don't do that they should be doing.

They need to think more on the lines of let's program the CPU AI to do things the same way a human would. I mean every other sports game has fake passes except for Madden and NCAA.

For every situation, they should program a branch system of probability of what possible ways they should handle the situation.

Situation 1: Faced with 8 men in the box.

A) If it is a passing play hot route a WR or audible to a different play

B) Tell the OL to max protect and leave a HB in the backfield to block

Situation 2: Receiving constant pressure up the middle.

A) Call more shotgun plays

B) Roll out to the left or right

C) Max protect the middle of the OL

D) Call a slant route exploiting the middle of the field where the linebacker just blitzed from

E) Run a screen play, either HB, TE or WR

Situation 3: 1 on 1 situation

A) Spin to the outside or inside

B) Juke to the outside or inside

C) If bigger then the tackler, lower your shoulder

D) If you have high acceleration and good speed, bounce it to the outside OR cut clear across the field to where there is daylight

Situation 4: Pass thrown to you with a defender right next to you

A) Jump up for the ball

B) Push off

C) Swat it down to prevent the DB from catching it

Situation 5: Passing plays

A) Look for your primary WR

B) Look for option 2

C) Pump fake to free up a WR

D) Tuck the ball and scramble

E) Roll out try to buy your WR sometime to get open

I could go on and on, but you guys get the point.
Me and you be on the same page man.. These are all the same issues that make me shake my head.. All those videos were on point.. I want EA to first take care of all the gameplay issues before anything else. I don't knock alot of the other issues people bring up because I wouldn't mind seeing it on the game but I rather get all the gameplay issues taking care of first. The AI definitely needs alot of tuning..
Old 12-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #58
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Give me way more of these type of runs by the CPU QB and CPU RB in NCAA 13. Where as they just don't stay in one lane they run, instead they bounce to the inside and back to the outside.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #59
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Gotz, how do feel about the CPU rush blocking?
At times, the CPU blocks every defender perfectly and causes big runs. It gets frustrating. You never see IRL where all the offensive players block every defender on a play perfectly. It seems to be a bandaid for CPU's lack of use of Special Moves.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:53 AM   #60
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Gotz, how do feel about the CPU rush blocking?
At times, the CPU blocks every defender perfectly and causes big runs. It gets frustrating. You never see IRL where all the offensive players block every defender on a play perfectly. It seems to be a bandaid for CPU's lack of use of Special Moves.
Yeah that is all it is, a SMOKE SCREEN to cover up INCOMPLETE programming and animation design. This game is severely lacking animation logic. Everything is at the extremes. You either get passed them or you get pancaked. It is always one or the other 98% of the time.

For the life of me I don't know why they call themselves hardcore football fans. What game do they be watching on tv where 2 linemen get knocked down to the ground EVERY PLAY.

You see it on passing plays and running plays. Highly unrealistic how often linemen be on the ground in this game. They need to take that animation out completely.

Also when it comes to run blocking, it should be several degrees of blocking.

1. You got crushed and knocked flat on your butt.

2. They got crushed and knocked flat on their butt.

3. You drive them backwards.

4. They drive you backwards back into the runner or QB.

5. You get a piece of them but they managed to stumble pass you. More of a glancing block.

6. You flat out miss the block.

Now examples 1 & 2, should RARELY happen. Maybe just 1% of the time per a game. 3, 4, & 5 should happen 90% of the time, with more so #5.

I find it crazy that you can push blockers back on running plays, but you can't push them back on passing plays. I also find it dumb that the most seen DL get passed the OL animation is where he just shoved the blocker to the side with ONE hand, REGARDLESS of weight or strength.

For NCAA 13 they seriously need to fix that. I am so tired of seeing 2 Defensive Linemen on the ground on every play. Stop making them fall to the ground. Let it be a standing stalemate, sometimes.

That is what NCAA and Madden is missing, a stalemate animation, where nobody is really stronger then the other, they evenly matched, where it should be just a stalemate of both them just battling it out in the same spot.

But nooooooooooo, instead you get the defender falling down or the blocker being pushed to the side with ONE HAND.

Even more crazy is when they SEE the defender got through the line and they just freaking stand there and watch the QB or RB get creamed. I yell at the tv every time I see that nonsense. At least dive at the man, cut block him, chip him, MAKE SOME TYPE OF ATTEMPT to recover your blown blocking assignment.

It is the same way when a pass is thrown just 1 foot in front of the WR. They won't even ATTEMPT to DIVE for it unless it is in the end zone. What kind of nonsense logic is that ?? You heavily promoted new dive catch animations but yet the CPU won't even do them on their own ?

And don't get me started on the one handed catch animation. Really ? You can catch it with ONE HAND 100% of the time ? No bobble ? No sometimes you drop the ONE HANDED attempt ?

Too many CANNED animations, too much AUTOMATIC stuff goes on in NCAA.

1. Always a perfect snap on FGs and Punts.

2. Punt returner always run directly up the field INTO TRAFFIC. They can catch it in the center of the field, nothing to the left, nothing to the right of him, but yet he ALWAYS pick the straight line direction of where he caught the ball. NONSENSE

3. 2 defensive linemen ALWAYS end up on the ground on passing plays and running plays.

4. DEs always run in arc to the outside shoulder of the OT. They don't ever run to the inside shoulder of the OT.

5. DEs always does that dumb spin move animation IN PLACE. Who the hell spins in PLACE when they trying to get passed somebody ? I mean really they don't ever fake out the OT with that move, so why is it in the game ?

6. Never a bobbled pass, they either catch it PERFECTLY or they don't.

7. Sack animations always look the same. I think they only have 3 animations for it. You either see the following:

(A) He picks you up by the legs and gently dumps you on your side

(B) He flings you to the ground by your shoulder pad with ONE HAND, never mind your jersey don't move or get stretched out during the process.

(C) He wraps you up around the waist, swinging you down to the ground and you roll a couple of times on the ground.

8. This brings me to another thing. Stop with the HORSE COLLAR TACKLES ! I am tired of seeing a ball carrier running down the field and get pulled flat on his back and spun 180 degrees because some defender magically reaches out and grabs him by his collar.

9. A WRAP TACKLE FROM BEHIND around a player's WAIST that is running full speed shouldn't cause that player to fall backwards ! That is nonsense. It defies LOCOMOTION.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:34 AM   #61
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

Oh please add this animation and make it more prone to happen in NCAA 13. In this video, the QB senses pressure and SPINS AWAY from the pressure and takes off running. Only make the spin happen a tad bit faster and more smooth. Don't know why it is taking NCAA series so long to get this animation logic in, Madden has had it in for their QBs since Madden 10.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #62
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Yeah that is all it is, a SMOKE SCREEN to cover up INCOMPLETE programming and animation design. This game is severely lacking animation logic. Everything is at the extremes. You either get passed them or you get pancaked. It is always one or the other 98% of the time.

For the life of me I don't know why they call themselves hardcore football fans. What game do they be watching on tv where 2 linemen get knocked down to the ground EVERY PLAY.

You see it on passing plays and running plays. Highly unrealistic how often linemen be on the ground in this game. They need to take that animation out completely.

Also when it comes to run blocking, it should be several degrees of blocking.

1. You got crushed and knocked flat on your butt.

2. They got crushed and knocked flat on their butt.

3. You drive them backwards.

4. They drive you backwards back into the runner or QB.

5. You get a piece of them but they managed to stumble pass you. More of a glancing block.

6. You flat out miss the block.

Now examples 1 & 2, should RARELY happen. Maybe just 1% of the time per a game. 3, 4, & 5 should happen 90% of the time, with more so #5.

I find it crazy that you can push blockers back on running plays, but you can't push them back on passing plays. I also find it dumb that the most seen DL get passed the OL animation is where he just shoved the blocker to the side with ONE hand, REGARDLESS of weight or strength.

For NCAA 13 they seriously need to fix that. I am so tired of seeing 2 Defensive Linemen on the ground on every play. Stop making them fall to the ground. Let it be a standing stalemate, sometimes.

That is what NCAA and Madden is missing, a stalemate animation, where nobody is really stronger then the other, they evenly matched, where it should be just a stalemate of both them just battling it out in the same spot.

But nooooooooooo, instead you get the defender falling down or the blocker being pushed to the side with ONE HAND.

Even more crazy is when they SEE the defender got through the line and they just freaking stand there and watch the QB or RB get creamed. I yell at the tv every time I see that nonsense. At least dive at the man, cut block him, chip him, MAKE SOME TYPE OF ATTEMPT to recover your blown blocking assignment.

It is the same way when a pass is thrown just 1 foot in front of the WR. They won't even ATTEMPT to DIVE for it unless it is in the end zone. What kind of nonsense logic is that ?? You heavily promoted new dive catch animations but yet the CPU won't even do them on their own ?

And don't get me started on the one handed catch animation. Really ? You can catch it with ONE HAND 100% of the time ? No bobble ? No sometimes you drop the ONE HANDED attempt ?

Too many CANNED animations, too much AUTOMATIC stuff goes on in NCAA.

1. Always a perfect snap on FGs and Punts.

2. Punt returner always run directly up the field INTO TRAFFIC. They can catch it in the center of the field, nothing to the left, nothing to the right of him, but yet he ALWAYS pick the straight line direction of where he caught the ball. NONSENSE

3. 2 defensive linemen ALWAYS end up on the ground on passing plays and running plays.

4. DEs always run in arc to the outside shoulder of the OT. They don't ever run to the inside shoulder of the OT.

5. DEs always does that dumb spin move animation IN PLACE. Who the hell spins in PLACE when they trying to get passed somebody ? I mean really they don't ever fake out the OT with that move, so why is it in the game ?

6. Never a bobbled pass, they either catch it PERFECTLY or they don't.

7. Sack animations always look the same. I think they only have 3 animations for it. You either see the following:

(A) He picks you up by the legs and gently dumps you on your side

(B) He flings you to the ground by your shoulder pad with ONE HAND, never mind your jersey don't move or get stretched out during the process.

(C) He wraps you up around the waist, swinging you down to the ground and you roll a couple of times on the ground.

8. This brings me to another thing. Stop with the HORSE COLLAR TACKLES ! I am tired of seeing a ball carrier running down the field and get pulled flat on his back and spun 180 degrees because some defender magically reaches out and grabs him by his collar.

9. A WRAP TACKLE FROM BEHIND around a player's WAIST that is running full speed shouldn't cause that player to fall backwards ! That is nonsense. It defies LOCOMOTION.
Fully agree, especially with the Bolded.
Alot of things are being covered up:
-Super LB/DB to try to stop/slow down pass game.
-Overhead, one-handed, and WR-like catch INTs. There is only a few INT anis I like
-OL Sliding and Perfect Blocking to "help" spring big runs and block the QB
-Tunnel Vision and lack of special moves by the Ball Carriers.
-Thing I dont like is all runners pretty much run like a power back, but there arent good power back anis to begin with.
-Turn on a dime and make impossible plays to slow down options
-Psyhic Playcalling to help the CPU players. The main thing that makes playing against other Users is them not knowing what you are going to call.
-WR almost always completeing Jump Balls since they dont fight for ball and Super DBs.

I dont know what the future of NCAA past '13 beholds. We dont even know who is overseeing everything. For some reason, I dont think NCAA will make it to next gen.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #63
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

This tackle animation needs to be removed. It is basically a horse collar and totally unrealistic how it can stop ball carrier in their tracks regardless of weight or momentum.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #64
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

Prime example of player mirroring among players. Both defensive linemen jumped not only very HIGH for their weight, but both of them jumped the same way with their right leg up & hands held the same way.

DLJump

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »