Home

3-3-5 Defense

This is a discussion on 3-3-5 Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-28-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
3-3-5 Defense

I want to play a 3-3-5 defense in my offline dynasty with Northwestern, but I don't know how/what to recruit for this type of defense, because I normally run a 4-3, but I've just been getting burned way to much on the pass no matter what I call... So any pointers regarding tendencies or even what size guys to recruit for the 3-3-5 would be welcome. Thanks in advance!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0
I think as with any three man front on defense, your nose tackle needs to be a stud above 300 lbs. in game the weight doesn't matter but for realism sake with high strength and block shedding. He needs to be able to command double-teams and stop the run.

The ends can be big guys too but unlike a 3-4, the ends will be called upon to get after the QB more on 3rd down. I'd try for balance maybe and get a good rotation going. If you can find some situational pass rushers to swap out with some prototypical five-techniques, that's ideal.

Your linebackers need to be balanced but I'd go for speed and athletic ability at MLB over strength / size because he needs to be able to get from sideline to sideline. Your OLB's are going to blitz, play coverage, and play the run, so once again balance is key.

If you can find shutdown corners on the outside, it will allow you some flexibility moving the safeties around in this scheme and that's how it's best utilized so focus on high MC. Your safeties need to be able to tackle and play the run at least average as they will be called upon because at times you'll only have six in the box. A truly dynamic safety that is controlled by a good user can be golden in this scheme.

Overall, I like the 3-5-5, but it's not best used as a primary D IMO. It's hard to find the athletes you need up front. Maybe you should think about a 3-4 with some mixed in 3-2-5 and 4-2-5?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: 3-3-5 Defense

the above poster put it pretty well.

I have Pitt in an online OD and they run a 3-3-5. year 1 I struggled with it only because their Safeties sucked and I couldn't cover real well but my run defense was stout because they had a stud DT and a super stud RE. year 2 I ended with the best defense in the nation, despite losing 4 starters in the secondary. rotated a CB to SS despite the hit because I knew he could fill the extra SS that is present in the 3-3-5. my DT was a stud again, my RE was solid but drew a ton of Double teams which made my ROLB become a beast in blitzing.

the one thing that the 3-3-5 has over running a similar defense out of other packages like Nickel or 3-4 defenses is that the 3-3-5 has more blitz packages out of it. and since you have a 3-3-5 you gotta be blitzing a lot more than if you were running nickel otherwise you will only have a 3man rush every play. for me, I call "blitzes" 99% of the time but that is really just 3man rush plus 1 LB "blitzing", while in reality I may only send a real blitz 30-35% of the time i.e. 3man rush plus 1 LB PLUS 1other blitzer for a total of 5 rushers.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Rookie

I have 3-4 as my base and I use 3-3-5 a lot. My ROLB is a DE/LB hybrid and I usually shift into a four man front so it ends up being a 4-2-5 anyway. My DEs are almost always converted DTs and I only leave big space eaters (not that size really matters in this game) at NT.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Banned

therealslimshady's Arena

I run with mostly a 5-2 D. However when I am in passing situations I switch to the 3-3-5. fficeffice" />>>
>>
For the 3-3-5 I specifically recruited a big majority of CB's. I rotated the linebackers out and put the CB's in at their positions as they mostly cover WR's anyways. (I cant find any other D that lets me put more CB's out) I found that it is the most realistic way of doing that. In RL you are not going to have too many LB's on the field when they are in 5 wide. I keep my MLB in to help with run supports and have my 3 stud linemen in at all times. >>
>>
I hope my strategy helps you out some. If you need any more help let us know>>
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »