Home

Urban Meyer - Ohio State

This is a discussion on Urban Meyer - Ohio State within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Rookie

PapiSuave's Arena

OVR: 1
Urban Meyer - Ohio State

I hate Ohio State but loved Urban Meyer's teams and offense at Florida. So 2 questions:

1. Will he at any point be the head coach on NCAA 12 of Ohio State?

and

2. What is the closest offensive playbook and style that resembles the Urban Meyer offense that was at Utah and Florida?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
MVP

olemiss86's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Urban Meyer - Ohio State

To answer your first question. Just create/edit the head coach for Ohio State at the "edit coaches" in Team Management.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Rookie

rdfowler's Arena

OVR: 4

Use Miss State Playbook
Old 11-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 12

this website breaks down formations and plays used in his offense...I think(hope) it will be more of the Utah/BG spread vs the Florida spread.

http://www.footballtimes.org/playbook.asp

I took the formations from the BG/Utah playbook and will make a custom playbook.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLEGENDsince87
this website breaks down formations and plays used in his offense...I think(hope) it will be more of the Utah/BG spread vs the Florida spread.

http://www.footballtimes.org/playbook.asp

I took the formations from the BG/Utah playbook and will make a custom playbook.
There is a copy of both Urban Meyer's Bowling Green and Utah playbooks floating around the internet as well as coaching clinic notes from Florida and a power point someone did summarizing his Utah playbook down to just formations, motions and a few plays.

I'll try and find some links, I know I have them all on my computer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Here are the PDF files for the playbooks.

This is the 2004 Utah Utes playbook:

http://www.playbookexchange.net/play...10201-Utah.pdf

This is an incomplete 2002 Bowling Green playbook, but this has the good parts:

http://www.playbookexchange.net/play...wlingGreen.pdf

The Bowling Green one just has the plays themselves (and how they are blocked vs different fronts). That won't help anyone here, but you get an idea how the plays are run and how you can transfer that to NCAA. The formations are roughly the same.

Here is the Powerpoint summarizing Utah's offense and formations, pretty good if you want to avoid the nonsense:

http://www.playbookexchange.net/play...2-2003Utah.ppt

I cannot find the clinic notes, but it is mostly just explaining how his system came together and how it's taught, but the article lined in a post above explains it pretty well.

There is no Florida playbook available from what I have found, but Chris at Smart Football broke it down extremely well a few years ago. I would HIGHLY recommend you read this page and watch the run cut ups:

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/20...r-offense.html
Old 11-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Rookie

Bucknut17's Arena

OVR: 5

Studwara from LSU is the name that keeps coming up on the Buckeye sites for Meyer's OC, he was the OC at Bowling Green under Urban, If he is the choice id guess spread/power hybrid.... maybe a mixture of Miss St.'s style spread/ read option with some I-Form/power running game.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknut17
Studwara from LSU is the name that keeps coming up on the Buckeye sites for Meyer's OC, he was the OC at Bowling Green under Urban, If he is the choice id guess spread/power hybrid.... maybe a mixture of Miss St.'s style spread/ read option with some I-Form/power running game.
One thing Meyer did at Utah (and maybe at Bowling Green) was really effective meshing of Strong/Weak Offset I formations into the spread attack. Most teams struggle when they get too multiple, but the blocking assignments and WR alignment were almost exactly the same just with a FB/HBack moving from a wing to the Offset FB position.

I remember they used to run a Pro Right/Twins Right combo (Strong I Normal/Strong I Twins in NCAA terms). When they went Twins Right, they would motion the QB out of the backfield opposite of the Twins side, basically making a Wildcat formation. Then they had a Power/Counter/Pass series off of this. It is SUCH a deadly series because you take a defender away from a gap to account for the split QB and then you are lead blocking a FB, pulling guard and TE in front of a direct snap HB. Deadly.

I can see him going back to that. His final year at Florida, they had always talked about getting a bit more smashmouth to take the load of the new QB. It is still going to be mostly spread and option based, but the power/counter/trap game they run from the gun is easily accessible under center and may match OSU's personnel a bit better, at least for the first year or two.

I'm excited to see what he does there. Urban Meyer is one of my favorite coaches in football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »