Home

NCAA's license expiration

This is a discussion on NCAA's license expiration within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Rookie

CHIEFxxROCKEM's Arena

OVR: 8
Icon5 NCAA's license expiration

Doesn't the license end after the National Championship game on Tuesday? If so what do you guys think the future of the NCAA series is gonna look like in the near future?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: NCAA's license expiration

I doubt anything changes in that regard. EA will still make a game and even if they don't get another exclusive, I don't think anyone else will make a game since it had already been a couple of years since someone else had made one when EA grabbed the exclusive license.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
When did NCAA get an exclusive license? I thought it was just Madden.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
When did NCAA get an exclusive license? I thought it was just Madden.
Ncaa got it right after they got madden. I wonder if they will even try to get another exclusive license since there are not many people wanting to make college sports games anymore. Sports games on the current consoles are expensive and I do not see many companies taking risk in making one. I wish 2k would try college football again. If it had a dynasty like ncaa college hooks 2k8 I do not know how often I would leave the house.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEFxxROCKEM
Doesn't the license end after the National Championship game on Tuesday? If so what do you guys think the future of the NCAA series is gonna look like in the near future?
Real life NCAA football is the most popular and profitable its ever been and EA's NCAA still sells just a fraction of what Madden does. There aren't going to be any competitor games to EA's NCAA series until EA also loses its exclusive NFL license. The big money is in NFL games so development of a dual-use NFL/NCAA engine is the only way for 2K or whoever to make any money off developing a football game.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10

Does this just apply to NCAA Football? Or does it apply to NCAA Basketball as well? I'd love to see 2K make an NCAA Basketball game. I would play the s*** out of that.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo
Old 01-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Sports game in general aren't expensive to make, NCAA sports games specifically are expensive to make because colleges want crazy high fees to use their school likeness rights. And then all the bowl sponsors want crazy high fees as well.

It is even worse with college basketball because it is way more schools. Which is why both EA and 2K got out of the college basketball business. Got too pricey with that many damn schools.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

I doubt it will change much.

2K hasn't made a good football game this generation. Assuming they will make a good game because NFL 2K5 was good is a big step, it will be seven development cycles later. Not to mention there are issues over at 2K as it is (downsizing and mainly in their sports department).

Unless a developer has an engine in place waiting for the license to expire, we won't see a game for at least 2 to 3 years from any developer, any sooner and it won't be no better than NCAA. I could see, 2K or another developer making the NCAA into a fake 'NFL' in order to profit off that and see it working somewhat successfully.

I just don't see much changing, the NCAA Football market simply wasn't competitive before the license hit, I don't see that changing anytime soon. (Sadly).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »