Home

Why has EA not implented a Spring Game??

This is a discussion on Why has EA not implented a Spring Game?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Rookie

Cubs017's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Why has EA not implented a Spring Game??

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves9
The spring game, in past iterations of NCAA Football was used to get a glimpse of your upcoming team and some of the incoming freshman that would be on your team as well. It gave you an idea of what freshman to redshirt and which ones you could let play because they made plays in your spring game. After the spring game, you also got to pick your impact players. To some, it might be just a glorified practice mode. If it is, so be it. It'll add to the immersion and I'd have no problem having that in.

If I had to pick between spring game and HS All-American game, I'd probably choose the HS game. I don't see the problem with putting in both though.
See, to me the Spring Game would be much more useful. The All-American game would be fun, but realistically speaking even powerhouse teams should only have two or three players in it, and most schools wouldn't have any recruits playing at all. At least with the SG you could decide who to red shirt, as you mentioned. It could also be tied into some (very minor) progression.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubs017
See, to me the Spring Game would be much more useful. The All-American game would be fun, but realistically speaking even powerhouse teams should only have two or three players in it, and most schools wouldn't have any recruits playing at all. At least with the SG you could decide who to red shirt, as you mentioned. It could also be tied into some (very minor) progression.
That thought crossed my mind as well. Other than playing with the top recruits that you'll never land, what satisfaction do you get out of an All-American game when you're coaching a one or two, maybe even three star program? Little to none. But a spring game would be useful to every team, regardless of prestige rating.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Heck I'd settle for practice mode in OD's actually working. But a spring game would be great if it came before training results. I'd like there to be some sort of competition for position. Offseason/Preseason is really dull in this game because there is no real competition, guys train, you put the highest rated guy at their respective positions. Occasionally there is competition or two guys have similar ratings and you pick the guy with the better position specific ratings, but there is no sense of competition. I'd love my young guys to be able to come in push starters for their job rather than it be up to the random training results.

Maybe that comes in the form of a Spring Game. Be able to set the rosters and just play it out, but since you couldn't play both sides at the same time of a Spring Game, maybe it comes more in the form of Spring Practice. Be able to hire the full 9 man staff, have some sort of coach ability setting tied to Prestige/Loyalty and sim daily individual periods and then be able to physically play the group/team period of practice. So I could get out there and run 7 on 7 drills, mix and match players to see who fits and guys that make an impact get that ratings boost.

I'd absolutely love offline dynasty mode if there was some interactive non-game things like that. 7 on 7 drills, individual drills, all of that. Would LOVE it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 6

It would be useful for position battles. Could also help determine positions for athlete recruits.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

It was in NCAA 07 on the PS2. It has since disappeared on the PS3.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
Heck I'd settle for practice mode in OD's actually working. But a spring game would be great if it came before training results. I'd like there to be some sort of competition for position. Offseason/Preseason is really dull in this game because there is no real competition, guys train, you put the highest rated guy at their respective positions. Occasionally there is competition or two guys have similar ratings and you pick the guy with the better position specific ratings, but there is no sense of competition. I'd love my young guys to be able to come in push starters for their job rather than it be up to the random training results.

Maybe that comes in the form of a Spring Game. Be able to set the rosters and just play it out, but since you couldn't play both sides at the same time of a Spring Game, maybe it comes more in the form of Spring Practice. Be able to hire the full 9 man staff, have some sort of coach ability setting tied to Prestige/Loyalty and sim daily individual periods and then be able to physically play the group/team period of practice. So I could get out there and run 7 on 7 drills, mix and match players to see who fits and guys that make an impact get that ratings boost.

I'd absolutely love offline dynasty mode if there was some interactive non-game things like that. 7 on 7 drills, individual drills, all of that. Would LOVE it.
I feel like a Chemistry and/or some kind of Clutch factor would go hand in hand with this idea. Setting up drills, practices and a scrimmage in the off-season to see which players work best as a unit or who can step up and make the big play when called upon. A spring portion of the off-season would help in weeding out those who make your teams cuts as well. You hear a lot about chemistry between quarterbacks and receivers and how well a quarterback meshes within the offense as a whole, so it'd be nice to see some intangible 'ratings' or 'factors' come into play somewhere in this game.

In reality though, a full fledged spring like that would probably take at minimum 2 cycles to iron out the kinks and to get the code working properly. Just implementing one game in the spring, after the players leaving section but before off-season recruiting, shouldn't be hard to throw in there. You should also be able to mix and match players within that game without taking hits to any physical ratings, and perhaps even awareness ratings, just to get a feel of where you could move guys before actually moving them.

Or maybe just make it a fall scrimmage? With having camps and stuff before it to account for player progression during the off-season maybe? So you can have your entire recruiting class able to participate.

I'm all for any kind of addition in the off-season that adds to the college football environment. This game lacks detail and immersion at the moment, at least for me. If they could put in some of these things that act like a glorified practice mode, but with a different tagline, I'd be a happy customer.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #15
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves9
I feel like a Chemistry and/or some kind of Clutch factor would go hand in hand with this idea. Setting up drills, practices and a scrimmage in the off-season to see which players work best as a unit or who can step up and make the big play when called upon. A spring portion of the off-season would help in weeding out those who make your teams cuts as well. You hear a lot about chemistry between quarterbacks and receivers and how well a quarterback meshes within the offense as a whole, so it'd be nice to see some intangible 'ratings' or 'factors' come into play somewhere in this game.

In reality though, a full fledged spring like that would probably take at minimum 2 cycles to iron out the kinks and to get the code working properly. Just implementing one game in the spring, after the players leaving section but before off-season recruiting, shouldn't be hard to throw in there. You should also be able to mix and match players within that game without taking hits to any physical ratings, and perhaps even awareness ratings, just to get a feel of where you could move guys before actually moving them.

Or maybe just make it a fall scrimmage? With having camps and stuff before it to account for player progression during the off-season maybe? So you can have your entire recruiting class able to participate.

I'm all for any kind of addition in the off-season that adds to the college football environment. This game lacks detail and immersion at the moment, at least for me. If they could put in some of these things that act like a glorified practice mode, but with a different tagline, I'd be a happy customer.
A chemistry rating would be awesome, even if it was something between QB and WR in a passing attack, or QB and HB in an option attack. That way guys who have played together for a few years (Weeden-Blackmon for example) could have great chemistry, reading each others mind to speak. If there was something in the game like route adjustments for WR's who happen to break off a route if they read the safety (like an option route but not designed), it would be even better. I like the idea of having some non-physical ratings installed in the game, because some guys just have it, even if they lack physical size/tools.

I think a full fledged spring practice could be doable, but transferring over a lot of the Road to Glory fall/midweek practice mode over, but with the on field stuff improved. Like you said though, a spring game couldn't be difficult to install.

I just wish EA would realize college football is basically a year round experience. From signing day to spring ball to summer conditioning to fall camp to the season to the post season. I'd love if even just a portion of those things were installed. Offseason and preseason is pretty anticlimatic. The most successful teams at all levels of football are the ones that dominate the time between the games, recruiting, conditioning, training, film work, game planning, etc. It'd be great to have some focus on that rather than just games and recruiting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #16
Pro

StayPlation82's Arena

OVR: 12

i don't know about a spring game. non of the new recruits will be on campus. if you add early enrollees and such, maybe. it could be done correctly if thought out properly. the last go at it was cool, picking the impacts and whatnot. i'd like to go back to the days where you had points and you chose where to spend those points. like 50% on recruiting, 25% on training and 25% on discipline. something like that but 10 years wiser. that way you have programs that recruit middle of the pack but have a great strength program like 90s nebraska, or just go after the best recruits and train them well but the discipline is lacking.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »