Home

Playing the 3-4 and 4-3 ,, HELP !!!!

This is a discussion on Playing the 3-4 and 4-3 ,, HELP !!!! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
MVP

Blitz1942's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Playing the 3-4 and 4-3 ,, HELP !!!!

I've been using a custom hybrid 3-4/4-3 with my most recent dynasty coach (offensively I run an Air Raid attack which can easily be converted into an Air Raid Option with the right QB). By position this is what I look for:

Left Defensive End: My left end is a speed rusher. Recruit guys usually between 6'2-6'4, 230-250lbs. I only recruit guys with over 4.70 speed (upper 70s, preferably 80s). Finesse moves and/or Power moves and pursuit are also very important. Sometimes recruit larger OLBs with high pass rushing abilities. Could probably play 3-4 OLB.

Left Defensive Tackle: My left side defensive tackle is a smaller pass rushing DT. Usually between 265-285lbs as a recruit. I tend to look for guys with between 4.80-4.90 (low 70s, high 60s speed). Strength isn't too important, but has to be above 75 starting off. I place a high value on power moves and block shedding as well.

Right Defensive Tackle: He's almost always a prototype Nose Tackle. He's generally 320lbs+. Speed really doesn't matter here, just strength and block shedding. Generally I only go after guys with 84+ strength. Power moves are loved as well, but not needed.

Right Defensive End: Very similar to my LDT. A bigger run stopping defensive end. Generally scout either faster DTs or slower stronger run stopping DEs. Recruit between 6'3 and 6'5, 265+lbs.

Left Outside Linebacker: A speedy coverage guy. Needs to have 4.60 speed or higher (80+ speed) and good coverage skills. I like converting slightly slower safeties (between 84-88 speed) with higher block shedding to play my LOLB. Usually around 6'3, 220lbs (though will take less for converted safeties).

Left Inside Linebacker: A well-rounded middle linebacker. Faster and stronger with good coverage and good block shedding skills. Generally 4.60+ 40 times and 426+ bench press. Usually decent in size too, between 6'2-6'4 and ~240lbs.

Right Inside Linebacker: Pretty much the same as my LILB. Gives me another guy to stick in in the 3-4, or a back up for the 4-3.

Right Outside Linebacker: A pass rusher/run stopper. Either a faster smaller DE converted to play OLB, or a natural bigger OLB. Generally 240lbs+ (usually graduates in the high 250s-260s). I try to get guys high 70s-low 80s speed, low-mid 80s strength. High block shedding/power moves are a must. Could probably play 4-3 end.

Cornerback: Pure coverage guy. I look for taller, faster guys with high man coverage ratings and press ratings. Needs to be taller than 6', and have higher than 88 speed (mid 90s preferred). High zone coverage is also helpful but not a necessity.

Free Safety: Similar to my corners, can be a little slower. Taller players preferred. High zone coverage preferred as over man coverage.

Strong Safety: See free safety.

Free/Strong Safety 2: For use in my occasional 4-2-5 formation. Extremely fast with high acceleration. Finesse moves and block shedding are useful, but not required. Used for surprising the quarterback on blitzes, and covering a tight end/halfback. Pursuit/play recognition helpful as well. Can be at whichever safety position is needed for the formation.

I consider the 4-3 my primary base formation, and I generate a great pass rush out of my 4-3 and Nickel formations. The left side of my defensive line racked up a total of 28 sacks in my last season (17 by my LE, and 11 by my LDT), primarily out of the 4-3 and standard Nickel formations. When I line up in my 3-4 or 2-4-5 Nickel, it's usually as a pass coverage formation either rushing the 2 (DEs in the 2-4-5), 3 (DLine in 3-4), or 4 (OLB and DEs in 2-4-5 or ROLB and DLine in 3-4) with everyone else in coverage. It doesn't give me much of a pass rush, but it gives me a lot of players dropping into coverage. I rarely ever send more than 5 after the QB though. I really don't need to, since I generate so much pressure with the left side of my defensive line.

It took me a couple years to fully implement this defense, but now that I got my starters in place, it's easy to recruit replacements a year or two before my starters leave so I always have the skills I need at each position. I rarely ever have 4 year starters. Usually players move to starter their junior year, or sometimes even senior year. I've led the nation in total defense the past 3 years, and am currently leading in defense after 3 games this season (year 2018) and have also lead the league in turnovers two of the last three years. Because I run Air Raid on offense, most teams abandon the run early, so my rush defense is always vastly overrated. My pass defense is almost always top notch though. Despite teams needing to throw all the time to keep up with my offense, I barely allow 200 passing yards a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 1

Any more tips out there on running the 3-4 ? I have a hard time stopping running plays out of the I formation with the 3-4.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #27
Rookie

dymndheartkilla's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk556
Any more tips out there on running the 3-4 ? I have a hard time stopping running plays out of the I formation with the 3-4.
You really need a great line. Try 3-4 even. And shift to the strong side
Old 02-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #28
Pro

Figment's Arena

OVR: 11

Generally I have noticed there are a few ways to play a 3-4:

The first way is to play it with one pure pass rushing linebacker. He will blitz almost every down. Your formation should really be viewed as a shifted 4-3 since you will basically have 4 d-lineman rushing every down anyway. Playing this way you need to pay attention to your play calling as your pass rushing linebacker probably is not going to be a very good coverage linebacker so you need to have more play calls with him blitzing or you do your formation shifts to change him to the other side and blitz him from there.

The second way (The way I like to run it) is to run the defense as though it were a 5-2, your OLBs are basically stand up defensive ends. Both of your outside linebackers blitz allot but there are obvious downsides to taking a player out of coverage. Running it this way your OLBs will need to be a little better in coverage than the way I described above but still mostly just athletic DEs. Your ILBs, CBs, and especially safeties need to be better in man coverage because you wont have enough players in coverage to run zone because there will be giant gaps between your zones.

The third way is just the video game way. Just take whatever linebackers you have that have good block shedding and put them at OLB, take your linebackers with the most coverage skill and speed and put them at ILB. Because it is a game your crappy coverage OLBs will still be ok in coverage and not a liability.

The only attribute that really matters for your D-Lineman in these for the game is your block shedding rating and that they be good at either power/finesse move (I would also encourage good strength). There is no need to go after 320+ lb lineman or 250+ lb linebackers because there is not physics in this game so height and weight don't matter unless you try to play the game realistic (I do).

If you are trying to run a more realistic 3-4 defense though more teams will run 3-2-6 formation, 4-2-5 formation or a 2-2-7 for some teams having allot to do with the modern era of passing. If you want to run a realistic defense on this game closer to a 3-4 I would explore the 3-3-5 stack defense just a little bit. I can go forever on how these formations are run in real life (I coach football) but that is not what this thread is about, but feel free to PM me if you do wish to discuss.

Let me know what you think of my ideas.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #29
Banned

I am trying my best to run the 3-4 and I am just getting killed by the run , what gives ? I have good LB's and decent lineman .
Old 02-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 5

4-3 under cover 3, i live and die by it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »