Home

What is that one seemingly unstoppable pitch play called?

This is a discussion on What is that one seemingly unstoppable pitch play called? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: What is that one seemingly unstoppable pitch play called?

Whenever I face strong option offenses, I usually call something like Cover 1 Robber. For me, that guarantees I have one defender manned against the RB, and the safety in zone coverage underneath typically is able to react to the QB. This has worked for me against offenses that run the ball off the edge. Slant my d-line in the direction I think the run is going, and I'm off and away.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

To stop outside runs, keep your lbs off the line of scrimmage. Do not blitz. Run commit is a waste also. I run 3-4 predator cover 2 zone and keep my lbs off the LOS. The 3 man dline will get double teams leaving mlbs to make the play. If they run option use 3-4 solid cover2. I got into the top 500 playing with houstons C+ defense. Guys had to throw it to beat me. Also line up defense to match offense strength. If the strong I is to field side flip predator.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

If they run the play without wideouts, I call this play out of the 4-3 that sends both corners on the blitz and sends the DTs and every one behind into zone. Quickly audbile the DLine to crash to the strong side of the formation and control the LB on the weak side (leave them in zones). What should happen is the corner will come crashing in on the blitz and engage the first blocker, causing a logjam which allows your LBs and Safeties to react to the play. The LB you are controlling should be able to run him down by the LOS if the LB on the play side hasn't done so already.

Do NOT call typical blitzes, because what happens is that this defaults to putting the corners in man coverage. With no WRs, they will line head up on the TE and leave no one on the outside to stop the play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

Everyone is different, but I will usually go in like a 2-4-5 Nickel or a Dime package. Point everyone is making is you need speed to get into the backfield and contain the play before it develops. So probably best to take that concept and do whatever defensive call is best for your style of play.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Yes you do need speed but you need players that have good block shedding on the outside also. 4-3 under cover 2, 3-4( as I stated earlier) and the 335 are workable. Don't come out in nickel or dime because you will get destroyed if they decide to go up the middle. There is a play in the Power I called double iso that goes right up the middle with 2 lead blockers for 3 yds minimum. If they sub in TE's to block, they will run it straight down your throat.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Another thing to add, though some at OP consider this off-limits, is to set Strip Ball to Aggressive. You will typically give up an extra 1-2 yards per tackle, but if you can keep him from breaking out in long runs then you will get probably 8-10 chances to force a fumble per drive and that could be enough to swing the game.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madguitarskillz1
Yes you do need speed but you need players that have good block shedding on the outside also. 4-3 under cover 2, 3-4( as I stated earlier) and the 335 are workable. Don't come out in nickel or dime because you will get destroyed if they decide to go up the middle. There is a play in the Power I called double iso that goes right up the middle with 2 lead blockers for 3 yds minimum. If they sub in TE's to block, they will run it straight down your throat.
Not necessarily true. Depends on your roster, who you are controlling as a user, and how you play. Yes, it's good to have block shedding but not always necessary.

That's why I said you just need to take a concept and design around it. What's your goal? Containing it without giving up the pass or completely shutting it down?

For example, If I'm 90%-100% sure its a run, a Dime All out Blitz with me controlling the safety almost always allows me to get into the backfield untouched. It's just a matter of me not over pursuing and making the tackle

Last edited by whodat7; 02-10-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »