Home

Where is the fine line between realism and enjoyment for those that are mediocre?

This is a discussion on Where is the fine line between realism and enjoyment for those that are mediocre? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Where is the fine line between realism and enjoyment for those that are mediocre?

I just bought NCAA 12 a few weeks ago. It has been awesome. However, I have encountered some frustrations. I usually play with two different slider sets: either those of jestic (I think they're jestic's), which are the ones for varsity, and SECELITE3's heisman sliders, which use the zero out philosophy to remove the arcade feeling from the game and provide a real game day feel.

SEC's sliders are excellent, and I really feel great when I run an excellent drive, but when the defense has me beat, it really, and I mean really takes it too far (the defense frickin rapes me sometimes). I am am a mediocre football player at best. I really want a great, realistic feel to the game without wanting to throw the controller, which I did just earlier. The only problem is that only on Heisman level do I ever really worry about losing a single game.

I don't mind losing at all. It's going to happen at some point in time. It's part of life. However, what makes me so angry is when I personally feel like I am being a crappy player, such as throwing 10 straight incompletions, or four straight interceptions. I feel like on heisman, even with SEC's sliders, I am under a lot of pressure at all times, which causes me to panic. Is there absolutely any way to remove the anger inducing difficulty without killing the joy of winning because I know I am going to win everything?

Edit: They were not jistic's. They were the sliders of imwhatzup.

Last edited by drummerguy1989; 02-08-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerguy1989
I just bought NCAA 12 a few weeks ago. It has been awesome. However, I have encountered some frustrations. I usually play with two different slider sets: either those of jestic (I think they're jestic's), which are the ones for varsity, and SECELITE3's heisman sliders, which use the zero out philosophy to remove the arcade feeling from the game and provide a real game day feel.

SEC's sliders are excellent, and I really feel great when I run an excellent drive, but when the defense has me beat, it really, and I mean really takes it too far (the defense frickin rapes me sometimes). I am am a mediocre football player at best. I really want a great, realistic feel to the game without wanting to throw the controller, which I did just earlier. The only problem is that only on Heisman level do I ever really worry about losing a single game.

I don't mind losing at all. It's going to happen at some point in time. It's part of life. However, what makes me so angry is when I personally feel like I am being a crappy player, such as throwing 10 straight incompletions, or four straight interceptions. I feel like on heisman, even with SEC's sliders, I am under a lot of pressure at all times, which causes me to panic. Is there absolutely any way to remove the anger inducing difficulty without killing the joy of winning because I know I am going to win everything?

Edit: They were not jistic's. They were the sliders of imwhatzup.
Up the pass blocking

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Rookie

Re: Where is the fine line between realism and enjoyment for those that are mediocre?

I guess that seems simple enough.

Seriously though, am I the only one that feel that way?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Rookie

llJAEll's Arena

OVR: 1
Just practice a little, and find a game plan your comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Where is the fine line between realism and enjoyment for those that are mediocre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerguy1989
I guess that seems simple enough.

Seriously though, am I the only one that feel that way?
No, you're not. I'm in the same boat. I enjoy the games and want to be challenged but want to feel like I have a chance to win. Too often when I play on more difficult settings, I feel like I'm being cheated out of a chance. I'm strictly offline for most games. Honestly, I started to enjoy games the most when I just started playing games with the settings straight out of the box. Are they completely realistic? Not usually but once I accepted that fact, I was much happier.

When I was young, single, and child-less, I cared more about sim sliders. Now, I just try to sit back and relax. If I could find a slider set that allowed me to have both, I'd use it but I don't feel the need to scour the internet looking for it.

Edit: Just re-read your post. By your definition, I'm well below mediocre. While I win most games on Varsity default settings, I'll still lose them occasionally. I never get blown out though. Since I'm strictly offline, I've got no issue with playing on settings like this that are WELL below what most people here use. After all, in the end, it's about me enjoying the game.

Last edited by woodjer; 02-10-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Since your focus is realism vs. enjoyment for "mediocre" players, you have to adjust the game to fit that. Realism dictates that a QB is going to have around 3 seconds to get rid of the ball. Unless you're going to raise your level of play to a point where you're releasing the ball (with confidence) after 3 - 5 step drops, you need to raise pass blocking to balance this out. Most gamers are going to need that extra two seconds to get a pass off with confidence.

In short, don't use sliders that are meant to give a more hardcore experience when you're trying to balance the aforementioned. Do things like crank up pass blocking, lower defensive INTs, etc to help level the playing field a bit until you've progressed to a point where ready to crank it up.

Also, I don't know what team you're using, but don't call plays your team can't handle. Don't ask for guys to run deep posts if your offensive line is weak. You won't have the time. Don't expect your WRs to be open on slant routes immediately if they have poor release ratings. And use your tight end, take what the defense gives you.

Last edited by Broncos86; 02-10-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
I think 4 secs are more in line with college

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
Rookie

Yes! Finally, I found that sweet spot. All American difficulty is pretty cool. It's not that I WANT to lose. I do want to become afraid that I may lose. All American difficulty seems to put on the pressure and play an exciting game without killing me. I just finished my RTG player's sophomore year with Michigan, and finished the last 5 games in overtime, winning only 2 of those. However, I still am satisfied. I felt that I played a pretty decent game.

One question though: Where are the psychic Defensive backs? The only thing I am seeing is that the safeties and cornerbacks sometimes seem more eager to catch the ball than my own receivers. I am seeing some pretty damn cool catches though. One time, one of my receivers caught a ball after it had bounced off the back of a safety. Anyways, this may just be that the DBs have higher ratings than my receivers. Who knows...

Edit: I have to frickin rant now. AA was my sweet spot. I just played Middle Tennessee State University as Michigan. We have a 91 overall, and they have maybe an 70 something, tops. So, they stuff at least 3/5 of all running plays, and their pass coverage is deadly. However, this is the WORST THING EVER RIGHT HERE: A DEFENSIVE LINEMAN, not a DB, is in a block with one of my Offensive Linemen. In literally one second TOPS, he somehow throws my OL off and swats the pass away. How the hell does that happen? I have never in my life seen that happen, ever ever ever ever ever. Until the fourth quarter I was losing to MTSU. I lost my opener to NC State. Dear lord...I suck worse than I thought lol.

Last edited by drummerguy1989; 02-11-2012 at 01:33 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »