Home

How about bringing NCAA back to PC

This is a discussion on How about bringing NCAA back to PC within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #17
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: How about bringing NCAA back to PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Moar
Piracy is an issue, though. With Madden and NCAA, you'd either wind up paying a high subscription fee for the game to be played online, like World of Warcraft and Minecraft, or it would be pirated at a ridiculous rate, kind of like FIFA, PES, Skyrim...and pretty much every game ever made for PC.
Right there. You hit the nail on the head. All it takes is for a hand full of people buying the game and then making tons of copies and sale them to other people. Therefore EA losses a lot money in the process and it ends up hurting their business in the long run. That is why they stop making Madden for PC. To much of piracy going on in the pc world. So that is why they stick with consoles so they can control things better. Bottom line you will never see NCAA or Madden on PC again. Waste of time and a hugh headache and a waste of money in the process.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #18
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

If it were financially feasible and made sense, EA would do it. At this point, with Origin and Steam on the market, the excuse of pirating shouldn't be an issue. The individuals who go out of their way to circumvent those platforms are so few and far between that to even consider them is not worth the time. If EA were so worried about it, then explain Battlefield 3 to me. BF3 is on PC because there is a market and demand. It makes sense, and makes EA money.

This decision will, IMO, always come down to market demand and whether it's profitable to do so. And since we haven't seen it happen thus far, my conclusion is that it doesn't make sense for EA to bring it to PC. The console is a controlled environment where they can guarantee the results of the game. The PC? Not so much. The Madden PC community was a minority to begin with, and remains that way.

Last edited by Broncos86; 04-23-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #19
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I think the demand for more sports games on the PC has increased by a lot in the past 2 years. I know more people with FIFA, MLB 2K and NBA 2K for the PC then consoles.

So I believe the demand is there. I mean hell they had Madden and NCAA for the Ipad.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 AM   #20
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

For those saying piracy -- you do know that it can be done on consoles as well, right? I don't think thats the reason. I think Madden 08 flopping on PC is the reason they're not on there.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #21
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

EA would prefer their sports gaming audience to be on the consoles. It benefits their relationships with Sony and MS (MS don't need help selling Windows) and it firmly gives EA complete control over content - if M12 was on PC, we'd already have Nike uniform updates to download from fans and they would probably look better than M13's by EA. The truth hurts.

The NFL also seems to be extremely strict about content - there's a reason franchise relocations in Madden franchise mode haven't been touched since it was first introduced 5+ years ago. Between EA and the NFL, the PC's continuous trend towards open source thinking is scary and easy to avoid, thanks to the legions of casual gamers out there on outdated console hardware happily lapping it up.

Even though I tend to believe piracy is extremely overrated by companies as a result of out of touch managers and decision makers either actually believing the "lost sales" nonsense or trying to blame an invisible hand for any poor performance figures, the fact is it is a stigma attached to PC gaming and it does influence decisions.

What I don't totally understand is EA's reluctance to even exploit PC at all with their NFL license. Not even a facebook game? Hell, they could port Madden 95's engine, spruce it up a little bit, and it would sell on fb or some other gaming portal probably. Give it to some college interns as a project. For a success, EA are exceptionally static and reactionary in their thinking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
If it were financially feasible and made sense, EA would do it. At this point, with Origin and Steam on the market, the excuse of pirating shouldn't be an issue.
Steam and Origin games pirated just the same as other games. There will never be a system for the PC that prevents piracy, because people will always find a way to get around it.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 13

Copying a PC game, and selling it to others? Really? You can do the same thing to the console games too. It's not just PC that is pirated. That's why I say piracy is a poor excuse for a multimillion dollar business. The demand is there. A sports game on computer would be better than the consoles. Xbox is what 6 years old? Ps3 about the same. PCs advance year after year. Hard drive space in the terabytes.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aTTckr
Steam and Origin games pirated just the same as other games. There will never be a system for the PC that prevents piracy, because people will always find a way to get around it.
That's far too black and white to bring to the table. You're simply saying "a game is pirated." That doesn't take into account the amount that a Steam game is pirated, and the technical level required to pull it off. So that isn't a very good point at all, because platforms such as Steam and Origin most certainly do deter piracy by large numbers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »