Home

Blocking engagements needs to be addressed.

This is a discussion on Blocking engagements needs to be addressed. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
Banned

General Butt Naked's Arena

OVR: 3
Blocking engagements needs to be addressed.

If you are reading this then you probably know what Im talking about. Of course the first problem, which most of us have experienced, is the DT getting more pressure than the DE's. This is in part due to the animation that DE's experience when rushing the passer with the DE attempting to rush the edge only to be jolted back by the tackle. And by the time the animation runs its course the QB has already made his dropback preventing the DE from getting any type of pressure. Its my belief that this animation was implemented in order to create the illusion of a pocket because the DE's get jolted at an angle that attempts to produce a pocket.

The other reason the DT gets pressure too easily and faster then the DE is because once he beats his block there is nothing stopping him to get to the QB. This has to to do with the Pass Blocking in EA games. Once the off linemen get beat they are totally beat. U USUALLY NEVER SEE OFF LINEMEN GET TOTALLY BEAT. If the defensive lineman makes a good move he usually will gain leverage or an angle towards the QB. The Off lineman will then attempt to recover his angle or leverage by pursuing the defender.

Now, this problem showing up in Madden 12 and NCAA 12 highlights the underlying issue of blocking engagement. Too often do the engagements stay stuck in one place. There needs to be more horizontal movement as well as back and forth struggles between the two players showcasing their strength, agility, acceleration, pass blocking, and run blocking skills. The L stick has to be utilized more within these engagements. moving left on the L stick should cause the engagement to move left depending on the players involved in the engagement. Stronger players should be able to manipulate the engagement more drastically then weaker players (Back and forth movement). Players with good accleration should get to the edge of the engagement effectively. Agile players would be able to transition in the engagement effectively. Pass block and run block attributes would increase OL's awareness (doing their assignements correctly). and block shedding ability would be effectiveness of the specific manuevers performed. Of course the blocker can react to this by manipulating his L stick in either direction in order to recover his angle on the block. This creates a back and forth struggle between the blocker and the defender, all depending on L stick manipulation of both players as well as their attributes. Then throw in some specific maneuvers that are already in the game like the swim, rip, and so on, but don't make it a win or lose situation if the maneuver is successful. If a maneuver is successful you remain in the engagement but u gain leverage and angle. I would only make the best Block shedders able to break the block completely, but it would be rare.

Lastly, you would eventually have to add in tackle animations that involve defenders involved in a blocking engagement because you wouldn't want a defender who is stuck in an animation, trying to disengage in his block, to rub against the ball carrier and not attempt a tackle.

What do you think?

Last edited by General Butt Naked; 05-11-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Blocking engagements needs to be addressed.

Basically, I want blocking engagements to be more involved. I like the idea of a L stick battle between players, with stronger, short burst defensive linemen and linebackers being able to manipulate the engagement but as a counterbalance have off linemen who are agile and are skilled blockers be able to recover properly and control the defender.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Agree with everything you said, and I have been saying this for longer than I care to remember. Unfortunately, this would involve a total revamp of not only their animations, but their philosophy on animations. Has not happened yet. Don't know if it ever will.

If it does happen though, my money is on it NOT happening this year.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

The player movement is my biggest problem with the game, but the OL/DL interactions are a close second. They just feel so stiff and scripted compared to what you see in real life.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
The player movement is my biggest problem with the game, but the OL/DL interactions are a close second. They just feel so stiff and scripted compared to what you see in real life.
I'm right with you dude. My biggest problem with the running movement is when you center the L stick in order to stop and change directions and the guy stops and does that stupid unrealistic animation. You know the one where he looks forward and crouches. okay, maybe its not totally unrealistic, some RB's might do that, but it shows up every time you center the L stick. It makes no sense to stop and change directions because of this animation and it takes away from the creativity of the run game. Thats why most players just hold forward on the L stick at all times because stopping and starting is not beneficial. And your right it is stiff their is no fluidity, you can't feel the accleration or agility of the players. Their bodies don't lean side to side that much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

THE number one blocking engagement issue is when my NT or DT beats their man, inches in front of the QB, he will go THROUGH the QB as he is in the automated engagement with the RB block.

The RB can be 3 YARDS behind the QB, but the defender will tractor-beam through the QB in order to get blocked.

INFURIATING.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 13

And all of this will be the same problem. The new NCAA 11-3 will be the same thing, bad OL/DL engagements, dumb QBs that refuse to move after ball is thrown, same ole suction blocking. Until the computer coding is redone, you can expect more of the same problems.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Banned

what exactly is tuning and what kind of change can i expect this year?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »