Home

OS Roundtable: What do you think of the NCAA Football Gameplay Enhancements?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: What do you think of the NCAA Football Gameplay Enhancements? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: OS Roundtable: What do you think of the NCAA Football Gameplay Enhancements?

Totally unimpressed. As someone who first picked up NCAA Football 11 I loved it, I thought it was significantly better than Madden both on and off the field (just a musing, but I wondered if that's because NCAA was less concerned with gimmicks and minor graphics changes). Probably the best football game I've played since Madden 05/2k5 (both great games). But NCAA Football 12 was completely unplayable for me, I played 2 games and it was so incredibly glitchy I put it down waiting for a patch - which was a first, even horrible versions of Madden (hello 07) I found more playable. The patch took so long I literally haven't picked up NCAA since. That was an expensive $60 I spent.

Two points from this:

a) I now have a deep distrust of "promises" EA makes, particularly the NCAA team. Some people will say this is naive, but while EA is no one's favourite company I've usually found that what was promised was in the game. It wasn't perfect, and it may not be what we wanted, but it was there. With NCAA 12 the game for me, and many others, was flat-out broken. I'm very sceptical that these improvements will actually play as claimed. I suspect that when the game comes out, all these changes will unbalance the game and it will be again glitchy until a patch comes out months later. Fool me once...

b) These improvements are so far overdue. Its ridiculous that basic things like 3,5,7 step drops are just NOW getting in the game, or that "psychic" defenders have been broken for years. This is the 8th year of Madden on next gen and they're finally putting this in?

c) The game just looks... bad. I watched the latest gameplay trailer and the whole thing was very ugly. Plus, even more basic things like O/D line interaction just doesn't work. No need to go into detail, but its embarrassing how bad the O and D lines work.

Anyway, consider me a former NCAA player that hasn't seen anything near enough to get me to touch NCAA 13.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingblade73
I think they should retail the game at $30 this year out of good will.
If indeed they are turning over a new leaf, they should do this, hell do it b/c they still haven't fixed the o-line problems Jayson mentioned.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #35
sk
God's Son.

sk's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: OS Roundtable: What do you think of the NCAA Football Gameplay Enhancements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btemp
Totally unimpressed. As someone who first picked up NCAA Football 11 I loved it, I thought it was significantly better than Madden both on and off the field (just a musing, but I wondered if that's because NCAA was less concerned with gimmicks and minor graphics changes). Probably the best football game I've played since Madden 05/2k5 (both great games). But NCAA Football 12 was completely unplayable for me, I played 2 games and it was so incredibly glitchy I put it down waiting for a patch - which was a first, even horrible versions of Madden (hello 07) I found more playable. The patch took so long I literally haven't picked up NCAA since. That was an expensive $60 I spent.

Two points from this:

a) I now have a deep distrust of "promises" EA makes, particularly the NCAA team. Some people will say this is naive, but while EA is no one's favourite company I've usually found that what was promised was in the game. It wasn't perfect, and it may not be what we wanted, but it was there. With NCAA 12 the game for me, and many others, was flat-out broken. I'm very sceptical that these improvements will actually play as claimed. I suspect that when the game comes out, all these changes will unbalance the game and it will be again glitchy until a patch comes out months later. Fool me once...

b) These improvements are so far overdue. Its ridiculous that basic things like 3,5,7 step drops are just NOW getting in the game, or that "psychic" defenders have been broken for years. This is the 8th year of Madden on next gen and they're finally putting this in?

c) The game just looks... bad. I watched the latest gameplay trailer and the whole thing was very ugly. Plus, even more basic things like O/D line interaction just doesn't work. No need to go into detail, but its embarrassing how bad the O and D lines work.

Anyway, consider me a former NCAA player that hasn't seen anything near enough to get me to touch NCAA 13.
I have two points to get across.

1) Nobody is holding a gun to your head telling you to buy this game. If you really don't want to spend 60 bucks on it, then go play it at a friends house, or wait a week and buy a used copy at gamestop. Try the game out, if you don't like it then just return it.

I don't get why so many people say "I spent 60 bucks, these guys scammed me". It's not that hard to think of ways to test it out without paying for it.

You can go to a friend who has the game, you can purchase a used copy from gamestop which is always refundable, or you can replay the demo enough times for you to get a feel for the game.

2) There's something that a lot of people don't seem to understand in the world of marketing.

Are a lot of these things that they are bringing out overdue? From a fan's point of view yes. These are basic things that should have been included in the world most realistic sim football game.

HOWEVER, from the developers standpoint, they need something to add every year.

If everybody got their wish and EA added every single thing possible in NCAA 13, who is going to go buy NCAA 14 for a different cover case?

Rosters? Nope. There are people here on OS that would just make new rosters. If there was nothing to improve on, they would lost tons of money.

I'm not saying I enjoy getting these features way later, but I most certainly understand why they stagger these features unlike a lot of 10 year olds on here that cry about how they get scammed 60 bucks because they don't know how to think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #36
MVP

OVR: 15

I am not one of those impossible to please overly entitled gamers who complains about every nitpick and missing element (i did rage against mass effect 3 a bit but thats neither here nor there) BUT: if they did all of this fixing to psychic defenses and do nothing to address defensive psychic playcalling i will be highly pissed.

Running the spread option is rendered moot if i come out in 5 wide and the defense is in a 4-3 because they know im running.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #37
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisxsong
I have two points to get across.

1) Nobody is holding a gun to your head telling you to buy this game. If you really don't want to spend 60 bucks on it, then go play it at a friends house, or wait a week and buy a used copy at gamestop. Try the game out, if you don't like it then just return it.

I don't get why so many people say "I spent 60 bucks, these guys scammed me". It's not that hard to think of ways to test it out without paying for it.

You can go to a friend who has the game, you can purchase a used copy from gamestop which is always refundable, or you can replay the demo enough times for you to get a feel for the game.

2) There's something that a lot of people don't seem to understand in the world of marketing.

Are a lot of these things that they are bringing out overdue? From a fan's point of view yes. These are basic things that should have been included in the world most realistic sim football game.

HOWEVER, from the developers standpoint, they need something to add every year.

If everybody got their wish and EA added every single thing possible in NCAA 13, who is going to go buy NCAA 14 for a different cover case?

Rosters? Nope. There are people here on OS that would just make new rosters. If there was nothing to improve on, they would lost tons of money.

I'm not saying I enjoy getting these features way later, but I most certainly understand why they stagger these features unlike a lot of 10 year olds on here that cry about how they get scammed 60 bucks because they don't know how to think.
#1 is a valid point although as another thread on OS shows, we buy the game because it's all there is to represent college football. If there were other options, I have no doubt most of us would utilize them. But there aren't. In this case, the exclusive license IS a gun to our head. Most of us only play one or two games a year and for the last decade, NCAA is one of them.

#2 completely misses the point. We aren't talking groundbreaking stuff that is getting put in, we're talking stuff that is basic football. Not extras, not fancy things; basic fundamental football like players looking for the ball and quarterbacks taking proper drops. These aren't things that get held back just to have something new for next year.

It will take EA a half dozen development cycles just to scratch the surface of things that need to be fixed and added to this game. And even IF they get to the point where they can't possibly add more to the realistic college football experience, there will ALWAYS be room for yearly improvement. Whether it be graphics, improving sound mixes, fixing problems that arise (something EA struggles with), adding on to the database of animations/cut scenes, adding game modes and on down the line.

That is how you market a sports video game. You get it right and then you subtly REFINE the game on a year to year basis. EA fails miserably in that their crowning achievement each year is simply getting the basics right. That is if they work, a 50-50 proposition at best.

Your fundamental premise is wrong and you need look no farther than games like FIFA, Tiger Woods, NBA 2K or MLB The Show as proof. All of those series have had the basics down for years and they REFINE their game on a yearly basis. They need not make significant changes to game play or game modes; all they do is polish what they have, tweak a few things based on consumer feedback or add a new feature as technology improvements dictate but that is that. Each one of those series are hugely popular, MUCH more-so than NCAA football.

EA's NCAA series is so far behind the times that it is frankly very troubling wondering what has been going on for the last 3-5 years. While all those other games just need a yearly polish, the NCAA series is still trying to make football players look like football players and make game modes actually operate correctly (and has so far failed at both, by the way).

We live in a world where every blade of grass on a virtual golf course replicates the real thing, where you can play a 5 on 5 basketball game with 10 users and where you can play an entire baseball career from the eyes of a player that looks just like you. Tell me why, in 2012, we're just now getting a college football game where players look for the ball and quarterbacks take realistic drops to throw.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #38
Pro

Scrapps's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm boost
While you guys are wasting time saying too little, too late...I am saying, finally!! i can't wait to get my hands on this game. I've never lived my life being a negative nancy, and don't plan on changing that anytime soon.

Instead of harping about that should have been in the game 3 years ago, why not appreciate the fact that it will be in the new game? I just don't understand the line of thinking for some of you guys. It's a video game guys...find ways to enjoy it for what it is worth. We will NEVER have a perfect football game...if you want real football, go outside and play.
You are absolutely right. When i get home from work, I'll just round up 21 of my friends for an intense game of football. I just happen to have uniforms and pads in my shed. I mean, people don't have jobs, do they? Wives? Kids? Responsibilities? While I'm at it, who needs MLB the show? I'll just call another 17 pals and we can set up a doubleheader for Saturday. You've opened a whole new horizon for me. Thanks EA!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #39
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
#1 is a valid point although as another thread on OS shows, we buy the game because it's all there is to represent college football. If there were other options, I have no doubt most of us would utilize them. But there aren't. In this case, the exclusive license IS a gun to our head. Most of us only play one or two games a year and for the last decade, NCAA is one of them.

#2 completely misses the point. We aren't talking groundbreaking stuff that is getting put in, we're talking stuff that is basic football. Not extras, not fancy things; basic fundamental football like players looking for the ball and quarterbacks taking proper drops. These aren't things that get held back just to have something new for next year.

It will take EA a half dozen development cycles just to scratch the surface of things that need to be fixed and added to this game. And even IF they get to the point where they can't possibly add more to the realistic college football experience, there will ALWAYS be room for yearly improvement. Whether it be graphics, improving sound mixes, fixing problems that arise (something EA struggles with), adding on to the database of animations/cut scenes, adding game modes and on down the line.

That is how you market a sports video game. You get it right and then you subtly REFINE the game on a year to year basis. EA fails miserably in that their crowning achievement each year is simply getting the basics right. That is if they work, a 50-50 proposition at best.

Your fundamental premise is wrong and you need look no farther than games like FIFA, Tiger Woods, NBA 2K or MLB The Show as proof. All of those series have had the basics down for years and they REFINE their game on a yearly basis. They need not make significant changes to game play or game modes; all they do is polish what they have, tweak a few things based on consumer feedback or add a new feature as technology improvements dictate but that is that. Each one of those series are hugely popular, MUCH more-so than NCAA football.

EA's NCAA series is so far behind the times that it is frankly very troubling wondering what has been going on for the last 3-5 years. While all those other games just need a yearly polish, the NCAA series is still trying to make football players look like football players and make game modes actually operate correctly (and has so far failed at both, by the way).

We live in a world where every blade of grass on a virtual golf course replicates the real thing, where you can play a 5 on 5 basketball game with 10 users and where you can play an entire baseball career from the eyes of a player that looks just like you. Tell me why, in 2012, we're just now getting a college football game where players look for the ball and quarterbacks take realistic drops to throw.
I agree with some of this, but if EA was putting in extra stuff, fancy things, as in recent years, you'd hear backlash, too. So, with your point, they are darned if they do and darned if they don't.

I agree, this stuff should have been done yesteryear, but there isn't anything we can do to change that.

Even with games like COD, our son was son so disappointed with the changes in the last one, he said, don't get that series again. The 2k hoops forums here were just as loud or louder with 2k 12 issues. And every year, I pop in the MLB Show forums and people are complaining about the incremental upgrades for the last few years.

If these features work as advertised, this could be a good step in the right direction with NCAA, finally, but we will see.

No one was as frustrated as me with NCAA last year. The lack of communication with all the bugs was terrible and lackadaisical.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #40
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12

I admit I haven't been paying much attention to this year's game (since I already know I'm not buying it), but after looking at what they claim to be gameplay enhancements, I found most of that stuff wasn't even gameplay per se.

Also there was no mention of fixing the STILL AWFUL line play. They claim to have removed all warping and sliding but it definitely still exists. Honestly I just wonder if this is stuff they simply CAN'T fix because the fundamental game engine is so flawed? If that's the case, their angle really makes sense. Add more fluff (i.e. pre-game entrances that quite honestly add nothing to the bulk of the experience) until the engine can be redone. Although that, too, remains a question mark: will the engine ever be replaced? It sure as heck needs to be.

As I said I'm not buying, but I'll follow along out of curiosity and to perhaps guess at what will need done for '14 when I may purchase. Regardless, I would remain highly skeptical of any so-called improvements based on track record, and that certainly includes the sound department.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »